CHAPTER 10 - PLS VOTE FOR COOKIES & CUPCAKES

'Mariam! You haven't changed yet.' Mahdia groaned as she found Mariam's clothes kept untouched on the bed.

'She is taking a bath.' Mrs. Siddiqui said entering the room. Mahdia slapped her forehead, it is getting late for the event and her niece is still bathing. Mahdia had a quick bath and is still wrapped in her pink towel. She opened the cupboard and frantically searched for the dress she had selected for the night.

Her mother simply looked at her, she thought she should leave and not make her daughter panic more.

Mariam had finished bathing and walked into the room wrapped in a blue towel. She looked at her Aunt who stood by the mirror and is curling her hair. She looked beautiful in a red two-piece evening gown, her top lacy and cup sleeved.

'Wow, Maddy!' Mariam said amazed.

Mahdia looked at Mariam and asked her to get ready soon.

'Ouch!' Mahdia winced as in hurry burry she burned little of her hair.

'F***' she cursed.

'Maddy!' Mariam said wide eyed. She is half way through wearing her gown.

Mahdia did her make-up quickly and then for Mariam, she applied some lipstick on her lips.

'I want to curl my hair too.' Mariam pouted.

'No, little girls don't do that.' Mahdia said holding her hand with one hand and her gown with the other.

Mariam protested as her Aunt guided her out of the room, 'I am nine and not a little girl anymore.'

*******************************************

Seeing so many elegant looking people in one hall intimidated Mahdia. Many guests haven't arrived yet but almost all her competitors are here. Mahdia looked at her token, table no-20. Mariam clenched her hand tightly and Mahdia looked at her. She smiled assuring her aunt that everything will be fine. Mahdia felt little better with the cute motivation.

'Already, babes.' Mahdia had just finished tabling her table when she heard Lydia's voice. She turned around and found Lydia with one of their finest Baker, Alex. Mahdia had brought some stuffs with her while they brought some with them.

'Good!' Mahdia gave a nod looking at the arrangement. They then divided their work, Mariam and Lydia will take the samples and will walk around distributing the samples to the guests while Mahdia and Alex will stand at the counter. Last night all four, including Mariam, were awake memorizing everything about their product. Since Mariam has nothing do with the baking and cooking of the items they had to focus more on her. At the end of it, Mahdia felt proud of her niece's enthusiasm and sharp mind.

Alex thought that their arch enemies, the American café, being in the adjacent table as them as their bad luck but Mahdia had a more positive thought to that, she thought this way they can keep a close watch on their competition.

Soon, people began filling the venue. With the growing crowd, Mahdia's nervousness also grew. But she kept a calm and composed look so she can encourage her teammates.

'Look at them, Imbeciles, they think they have a chance against us.' Alex said in his heavy French accent pointing at the table next to them.

Mahdia turned her head, there are a man and woman standing at the counter. As her gaze met them, the man winked at her while the woman showed a middle finger to her. Mahdia felt uncomfortable, she quickly looked away.

'Oublie les and focus on us.' Mahdia said asking Alex to focus on their counter rather than others.

'Bonjour Monsieur et Madame, may I interest you in these very tasty cupcakes.' Mariam spoke to a formally dressed Sir and Madam. They looked at her Mariam and smiled

'Oooo, you are so cute.' The woman looked at Mariam awed.

'Listen,' she turned her attention to the man Mariam assumed to be her husband, 'We should try what the little girl is offering.' She said and her husband nodded

'We are from Table 20, Cookies and Cakes, please vote for us.' Mariam said brightly as the couple munched and complimented the cupcakes.

******************************

Around 1 am the function ended. Mahdia sighed happily seeing that her entire table was nearly empty except for the emergency stocks they had made for being on the safer side. Mahdia turned her head and smiled at the American café owners. Their table was filled more than hers.

As her gaze met with the woman at the counter and Mahdia smirked, holding her gaze Mahdia moved her hand under the table and showed them a middle finger for a second and quickly composed herself like nothing happened. They fumed in anger and Mahdia smiled widened. She hopes she wins this deal and if not still she will be happy knowing the American café didn't win either. She felt a sadistic pleasure.