CHAPTER 6- A BAD DAY

'Sir? Those Sheikh's from Dubai, they sounded very furious.' Ahyan's assistant Mr. Kumar informed him. Ahyan shook his head, he waved him off. Ahyan has had the whole day horrible. His day started with him oversleeping his morning jog, then his parents pestering him about what happened last night. And then his mother's dramatic and melodramatic response knowing the truth. His father had lectured him of being very irresponsible and loosing such an important deal because of his "stupidity."

After his assistant had gone Ahyan leaned forward and called Mrs. Khanna with a cup of black coffee. He needed to de-stress himself. In his dreams last night, he thought of many ways to find that girl and throwing her in jail. He checked his mobile, there is no message from the police. They had said, they will find his luggage and punish the thief.

'This was the last time I helped a girl. No woman should be trusted.' Ahyan murmured to himself.

As he drank his coffee he got a call, without looking away from the file he held he picked up the call.

He rolled his eyes on hearing Zaynab's voice.

'Dude, I heard what happened with that Dubai project.' She said. Ahyan got annoyed, so his mother called and spoke to Zaynab about this. Ahyan doesn't like anyone interfering in his business, especially those who have no idea about being an hotelier and he simply despises woman advising him what to do in a business?

Ahyan tried interrupting but Zaynab went on talking about her friend, Sanjana, in France and her husband is also an hotelier albeit low cost three stars hotels, and two restaurants which look more like fancy French dhabba. Before Ahyan could say anything, Zaynab cut the call telling she will talk to her.

Ahyan stared at his mobile after Zaynab cut the call, he had a ten minute of one-sided conversation with his best friend; she spoke full ten minutes while he spoke in incomplete syllables.

He exhaled loudly placing his phone on the table.

*******************************************

Ahyan parked his car in a very small congested parking lot. He climbed down his car, adjusted his coat, and locked the car. He walked towards the tiny local police station. As he entered, a strong pungent smell entered his nostril, the smell so pungent that Ahyan felt his nose hairs burn. Taking out a hanky he covered his nostrils.

Many inspectors and constables looked at him as he walked towards the inspector seated straight to the entrance. He had his head lowered, his left-hand scribbling something in the register.

Ahyan stood in front of the table, he cleared his throat and the inspector looked up. He looked at Ahyan and raised his right eyebrow.

'I am Mr. Ahyan Rafi Malik, I had been called here.' he said.

The inspector, Kishore Singha, placed his pen down and leaned forward joining his fingers.

'You don't look like a criminal.' He said eyeing Ahyan from top to bottom.

Ahyan rolled his eyes, 'I am not a criminal. I had made complaint last night about my laptop being stolen from the airport.' He said simply.

The inspector leaned back, resting his elbows on the arm rest, his fingers joined together. He looked at Ahyan top to bottom.

'Hmm... sit.' He gestured towards the seat opposite him. Ahyan nodded and sat.

'Hey, Suresh. Get that airport wala file.' He called one of the constables, a short chubby constable nodded his head and disappeared into the records room.

'And Lakhan get Mr. Malik some cold....'

'Water.'

'Water....'

Ahyan wiped the sweat of his nape and forehead glancing at his Rado watch, it has been fifteen minutes he was waiting for the damned file to come. The tiny station is boiling, the old rusty fans doing no good. He removed his coat and loosened his tie.

'You big people have big nakres.' Mr. Singha commented watching Ahyan loosen his collar and sleeves. He looked at him, you are used to working in a boiling room not me, is what Ahyan wanted to say but before he said that or anything else the stubby contestable finally arrived with the file.

Mr. Singha read the file with uttermost concentration. Ahyan tapped his fingers impatiently as he took his own time reading the file.

Finally, what felt like an eternity, Inspector Singha dropped the file and looked at Ahyan.

'We have taken printout of the sketch of that girl and stuck it on every wall, we will be getting some good news soon.' he said

'She hasn't been caught yet? Then why was I called here?' he said

The inspector shrugged, 'Maybe to inform you this.' He said simply. Ahyan shook his head in frustration. He stood up, thanked the officer for wasting his time. He placed his coat in his arms he left the police station.

Outside he kicked the tire of his car with all his might. He leaned forward placing his palms on the top of the car, he inhaled and exhaled loudly. His phone rang, shoving his hands into his pocket he took out his phone.

He cut the call on seeing his mother's name flash on the screen.

'Why me?' he looked up at the sky.