Chapter 4

Am I the missing niece?

It seems Ms. Blake can read my face.

"I apologized Ric's behavior. What you heard from him is not true" being Ms. Blake clenched her hands together and rest it on the desk, then she gave him a hard look and told him to leave the office.

I heard him closed the door.

"Shall we begin the interview?" She asked.

"Yes" I replied. My hands begin to shivers. Relax, Lannie!

"I've been waiting for you to come in my company. I'm glad you are here. I heard you're an Event Head from the flopped company. But your attitude impressed me. It seems you are a potential leader" She stopped and I remained silent.

Where did she know my previous work and the company? And my name?

She continues speaking "I need a leader like you. Not all event heads are excellent leaders. There is an event head like you who work in here but she is in a coma since last year. I need a substitute for her and that's you, Lanie. I'll be fair with you just like the other event heads. Do you have a question?"

I am just a substitute event head?

"If she wakes up, I'll no longer work in here?" I asked worriedly

She looked down pondering my question. Then, she looked at me

"I can't decide today, but if she wakes up I'll call you"

A telephone rang suddenly and she picked the call.

'Ms. Blake your visitor has arrived. She will wait for you in the lobby'

"Ok, I'll be there" She hangs up.

"Ms. Reese, you are now dismissed. Thanks for coming here today, I'll call you later for your assign tasks"

"Ok, Ms. Blake" I replied and left the office.

I walked sluggishly towards the elevator and pressed the down button. The word substitute loses my energy. The elevator ding and I stepped in and pressed the number one 1 button. When I reached the 1st floor I stepped out the elevator.

I am not very happy. I'm quite sad because I'm not a real event head in this company. I was assuming I'll be hired in here as real event head, not a substitute. I thought substitute is only for teachers. I'm happy because I have a big salary for my future and my son. But the salary depends if I'm working. If the coma event head will wake up tomorrow or next week, I'm dead. My son's future is dead. I'll not just depend on my mom's money or Vicky. They are a just supporter, not a financier.

"Lanie!" Someone called me that brought me back to reality, and I realize it was Ric in front of me.

"Did you just called me?" I asked.

"Yes, I called you twice. Are you alright? It seems you are in the outside world"

"I'm fine. I have to go now" I said quickly and walked quickly to the exit. Then, dialed Vicky's number while I'm heading to the McDonald's.

"Hey, L! How was it?" She asked with excitedly.

"I don't know how to say this to you. I've passed - "

Vicky suddenly shouted happily. I can imagine she is jumping for joy.

"Congratulations, L! I told you!!"

"I'm not taking that congratulation. I don't know how to say this to you... I'm not a real event head" I lowered my voice.

"What do you mean?"