Chapter 31

After 3 days

Lanie brought Charlie in the jail to see Jerry.  Charlie is very excited to see his dad. Charlie ran towards him and called him dad as he saw him out the room.  Jerry squat down and open his arms to hug his son.  Jerry wasn't expecting for this come, he cried of joy.  His heart filled with happiness.

Then he saw Lanie standing smiling watching them. Later she approach them,  Jerry stood up and thank her and he hugs her. 

" Also, thank you for helping me out the prison "

She didn't say something.

***
They went to Jerry's apartment along with their son for lunch.  Lanie cooks a lunch while Charlie and Jerry are playing in the living room. Lanie and Jerry didn't talk much when they started eating. It's awkward for Lanie and Jerry. He noticed that Charlie is observing them.  He doesn't want him to think of something which is not good.  So, he make a move, he scooped smash potato onto his plate and held it up to her mouth.  Lanie is surprised by his action, she gave him a looked like 'what the hell are you doing?'. He raised his eyebrows and smile in response.  She is reluctantly opened her mouth. He shoved the spoon in. She chew it and swallowed it.

Jerry compliment her food also Charlie.  Jerry is praising his mom that she is the best cooker. Lanie is not comfortable with his praising and compliments.

After the lunch, Lanie ordered Jerry to take Charlie a nap coz they have something to talk.  Jerry obeys her, while Lanie is washing the dishes. She is thinking what to say later to Charlie that they are  divorce with his dad. Suddenly, she heard Charlie shouting of joy upstairs. She thought Jerry is doing his job.  Then, she heard footsteps descending from stairs running. She heard Jerry calling out Charlie's name.  Charlie hides at the kitchen under the table.

" don't tell dad, mom" He said whisperedly. 

Jerry came in the kitchen looking for Charlie.  Lanie turned around and point Charlie where he is hiding, then,she walked away.  Lanie is not in the mood of playing.  She is trying to focus how she will explain to her son about the divorce. 

Jerry noticed her hostility which makes him disappointed coz he feel that she doesn't want him to play with his son. Instead of looking for Charlie, he followed Lanie and confronted her at the lounge. 

" What the hell is wrong with you? " He asked her whisperedly.

" Nothing " She said

" I don't like your reaction since we take our lunch together.  It seems you are not happy for Charlie and me.  Are you pretending to be happy since at the jail? Are you trying to be a good mother just to make Charlie think you are? Like releasing me from the jail? Answer me, are you emotionally happy?" He asked firmly. 

" dad, where are you? " Charlie yelled inside the house looking his dad. 

" Let's talk about this later" He said and he turned around to walk inside the house.

***
In the evening, they went to McDonald's together to have dinner.  They took selfies. They even took a family selfie by Jerry.  Lanie shows her genuinely smile. Deep inside her, she sad because she feels sorry for Charlie coz this is the last bonding together.  Next day, Charlie woke up with a shocking revelation.

They arrived at Jerry's apartment.  Jerry took Charlie who is been sleeping in the car.  Jerry put him carefully on the bed and tuck him at his bedroom. He went downstairs and saw Lanie sit on the couch busy over the phone. 

" You want wine?" Jerry approached her.

" Yes please " She responds while chatting with her mom. 

Mom, which matter family or feelings? 

If you are no longer happy with Jerry, you know what to do. 

But I'm worried what if I hurt Charlie

It will hurt him the truth but when he grew up he will understand that. 

I'm confused, mom

Don't complicate yourself. Do what makes you happy.

Jerry cleared his throat that makes her realize that he is staring at her sitting beside her.  She apologized and she put her phone beside her. 

" It's mom..." She said looking at him.

" answer me are you emotionally happy today? "

" Yes, I'm happy because I bailed you out not because for Charlie but because you are innocent.  You deserve a second chance to live again.  To be honest, I felt bad when I heard that you are in prison and even makes me guilty especially when Amanda approach me.  Trying to convince me.  Everytime I looked at Charlie, I thought of you for what I've done.  It makes me think I'm the villain..." She meant it. She took a sip of her wine.

" I'm the villain, I'm the one who started the mess "

" I guess we are villains "

" So..."

Lanie sighs deeply " I don't know "

They became silent for a moment, but their eyes are speaking.  Jerry is hesitant to touch her hand. She didn't jerk off his hand on hers though.  She doesn't know what she is doing. Their faces inches away. She can feel his hot breath.  She didn't  feel her heart pounding faster. He finally kissed her without his expectation, she kissed him back. The kiss is slow and soft.

Lanie didn't feel the magic from him for a long time. No impact. It's nothing.  She knew it will not come back again. She already predicted that there will be no magic between them and it's happening tonight. She's over him. She wanted to be kissed by him just to know if she has still feelings for him, but no.  It's over. No connection. It's nothing,  it just a kiss.

This will be their last kiss,  their goodbye kiss.

Tears run down on her cheeks that made Jerry stop to kiss.

"Something wrong?"

" I'm sorry, Jerry " She hugged him.

" We can work this out "

She pulled out and said "  Relationship won't work if we don't have feelings anymore"

He didn't response. She is right . He can't force her to love him back.  Truth hurts and he appreciate her honesty towards him.

" I guess it's over..." He said sadly

" Our relationship is over but we can be friends "

His eyes brighten up . He didn't expect this. 

" Thank you Lanie " He pulled her into hug

" I'm always be your ex-wife and your friend " She hugged him back. 

Jerry is emotional. He can't believe they can be still a friend. He is thankful that they didn't end up strangers. 

FIN

~~~

Thank you  for reading my book! Thank you for adding my story to your reading list.  Thank your for your support, patience, comments and votes.

  Have a great day everyone and happy hearts day!