Chapter 11

After I Ric shared with me his cousin's story. He drove me to the flat and he gave me 10 old pictures of his cousin's childhood memories. He said this is secret and no one can see it. 

I don't know if I'm going to believe him.  I don't trust easily to the people.  When I was young I am homebound. I don't have many friends. My mom is the only person I can talk to.  

Before I go to sleep I looked at the old picture which was given by Ric. He told me this picture is the part that appeared in my dream. In the picture is a smiley girl with a golden brown hair wearing a pink dress with flower design and a smiley boy wearing white sleeves and Mickey Mouse pajama at the park.  That boy is Ric,  he told me.  He said that girl is me.  He told me that I must remember my dream. But in the picture, the boy does not look like him.  I can still barely remember the face. The park in my dream and the picture is the same.  I checked the other pictures which are taken in the same park. But still not him. 

I wonder who is that boy in my dream.

Maybe he is not my cousin.  Maybe Ric has a psychological problem of himself. 

When he showed to me the pictures of me and Nicole, I believe him a bit but I have many questions in my mind. I can't believe I have a brother.  Mom never told me I have a brother. 

Though,  I don't want to be involved with his cousin's story.  I don't want my son to get involved either.  What if I just don't care. I'll just listen to his story and not take it seriously. 

I keep on thinking until I fall asleep.

***

Today is weekend and it's Charlie time!  I have enough money to go to Louisiana. I called mom to inform her before I ride an airplane. I'm so excited to meet my son. 

As I arrived at the airport.  I recognized mom and Charlie waited for me. Mom is carrying him with one arm and waved a hand at me. I waved my hand at her. I hugged her after he put Charlie in his stroller. 

She pulled out " I miss you. How have you been? "

" I'm doing great, mom.  I miss you too and Charlie " I kissed his forehead and took him in my arms. 

"Your mommy is here, honey" I rubbed my nose against his gently.

We went to the parking lot and get inside the car and headed to the house.  Charlie is sleeping in my arms.  He is heavy. 

When we arrived at the house. I put Charlie in the crib. 

"Mom, does Charlie usually like this? Sleepy?  "

"Yes, he is such a heavy sleeper and I like it because he is not hassled to bring him whenever I go. He's not a crybaby.  He easily falls asleep, especially in the car.

"  When I was a baby. Am I heavy sleeper too?  Like Charlie? "

" Yeah, you have the ability to fall asleep in seconds. When you were 3 years old we are going to the supermarket, I put you in the car first. When I get inside you already sleeping"

I chuckled " That's unbelievable"   

" Lanie, I have to go downstairs  to cook our lunch"

"Mom, I'll do the lunch" I said before she opens the door.

"Why don't you assist Rose at the Bakery"

"Okay then"

I went to the Bakery and greet Rose and the elder customers I've known.  Mr. and Mrs. Smith, Ms. Collins, and Ms.Clarks.  Mr. and Mrs. Miles wasn't here. I had a small talk with the customers. They are happy to see me. I am special to them. They still look young even though they are old. The oldest elder is Ms. Collins, she is 86 and she looks like 50 years old. She looks healthy. Ms. Collins is staying in the house with her daughter who is caring her. Her children didn't put her in the  Elders Village, it's a home for the aged. The rest of the elders are from the Elders Village except her and Mr. and Mrs. Miles.  According to Rose, they rarely eat here except Ms. Collins.

" Rose, where is Mr. and Mrs. Miles?" I approached her at the counter.

"They are not here since yesterday. Ms. Collins told me that their children put them in the Elders Village"

"I'll visit then today"

***

After I eat my lunch with mom and feeding Charlie. I went to the Elders Village to visit  Mr. and Ms. Miles alone. I leave Charlie at the house with my mom.  I approached the nurse at the counter to ask their room. 

"Their daughter took them to the park just now" She said.

"Okay, thank you"

I ran quickly outside to the parking lot and I spotted them. Sarah took  Ms, Miles inside the car. 

"Sarah!" I called out

Sarah turned around to the car and I quickly hold her wrist to stop her.

 She yanked away my hand at her and glared at me " Stay away from us!" 

" Why?" I asked cluelessly. 

" I don't want to see you anymore!" She gets in the car and slammed the door.

"Sarah, what's happening? Did something happen between mom and you or your parents?" She turned on the ignition of the car.   I tapped my hands on the window.

"Stop the car ! " I yelled. 

She rolled down the driver window and growled at me " Fuck off! "

"Tell me what's happening!" 

" Ask your mom! " The car moved backward and quickly drove away.

I chased the car. 

As the car head out, I see the fast semi-truck struck the car. I saw it with my own two eyes. This is horrible I have ever seen in my whole life.

I cover my mouth with my hands in shock. I immediately get my phone from my pocket and I hadn't realized I left my phone at the house.  "Damn it"

I ran quickly towards the car and open the door.  A blood-covered on the forehead of Ms. Miles. I pulled her from the car carefully and put her on the ground.  Mr. Miles's head is bleeding hit by the bumper. Sarah's head was hit by the bumper of the semi-truck too.  Her face was murdered. I can't look at it.  Inside the car was so much covered in the blood.

The ambulance and cops arrived. The paramedics put her on the stretcher and put her in the ambulance. I went inside to be with her.  The nurse put an oxygen mask on her.

"Ms. Miles, stay with me" I hold her hand and I cried.

"Ma'am, did the others survived?" I was referring to Mr. Miles and Sarah

"No, I'm sorry" She said melancholy. 

My eyes are brimming with tears as I speak to her.

" Please, stay with me" I said hopefully.

She is mumbling and I can't hear. I move my ear closer to her mouth so that I can hear.

" Lucy ...is not your... real mom"

I turned my head to face her in disbelief. 

She mumbled again and I move my ear closer to her mouth again.

"I'm sorry, Lanie" 

I turned my head to face her. She slowly closed her eyes and I felt her grip loses on mine.

"Ms. Miles!" I cried out.

The nurse removes her blouse and then defibrillating her body.

" AGAIN!" The nurse said firmly.

They repeated it five times. 

Unfortunately, she didn't survive. 

I hugged one last time and cry so hard.

 I lost my dearest friend.

Why is this happening all of a sudden?  This is too much. Nic died. Mr. and Mrs. Miles died and who's next?

I don't understand what's happening in my life now. Sandy is mad at me and mom. I don't know why.  What the hell is happening? I don't want to live like this anymore.  I don't want my son to get involved in this shit.

***