Chapter 16

London

" Mommy! It's school time!"

I jumped out of the bed when I heard Charlie. I slowly rubbed my hands over my eyes to get rid the rheum. I looked over to my son who is staring at me with delight. He is already wearing his kindergarten uniform. I'm surprised. It seems he is very excited to go to school.

"Come here, Charlie" I said with a smile.

He ran over to me and I carried him then sit on my lap.

" Are you excited to go to school?" I asked him already knowing the answer.

He looked up me his brown eyes in exhilaration " Yes! I'm so excited, mommy"

I smiled and hugged him from the back. I smell coconut his hair and the cologne. He smells so good. I notice short yellow strands of his hair. It's just a few. I like hugging him. Charlie looks likes me than his dad. Thank God for that!

" Mommy, I'll be late for school" He said.

" Sorry" I realized that I'm hugging him in 2 minutes. I pulled out and put her down on the floor. He walked over to the door and stand at the door.

" Let's eat now, mommy" He said.

" okay"

We go downstairs together and we headed to the dining room. My real mom, Claudia, Ric, and Aunt Annie is waiting for us. We greet each other ' good morning' and we eat our breakfast together.

***

"Be a good boy, Charlie. Don't be mean to others, okay?" I said to Charlie as he stepped out the car after I open the door for him.

" I will!" He said enthusiastically.

I pulled him for a quick hug and I whispered into his ear " Mommy loves you"

" Charlie loves too!" He smiled and kissed me on the cheek and he unexpectedly whispers in my ear " I love you, mommy"

Then, he ran heading to the classroom.

I left the school and I climbed into the car and start the engine, then drove straight to my work.

***

When I entered my office Kristine greeted me. My members are still the same. They want to work with me than the other event heads. Aunt Annie agreed that they will work with me and they are so happy for it, and I'm happy too. They are my new friends.

I already told them about my divorce. I even told them my ex - husband. They were shocked and angry for my ex-husband for what he has done for me. I told them to get over it and forget it. I told them not to do cruel things to him and Amanda Meyers. They obey me.

I never hate Amanda. Why would I? I don't know her though.

" Good morning too, Kristine, any new clients?" I put my bag on my desk and I sit on my chair.

" Yes, our new client is Ms. Amanda Millers. She will have a birthday party and she wants to talk with you personally at the Restaurant at 6 PM"

" Tell her I'm not available at 6 pm"

" Yes, Ma'am"

" Ms. Lanie, she changes the time instead of 6 pm. She will meet you at 12 noon".

" Okay"

***
I get out from my car and approached the security guard and asked him for Mrs. Millers reservation. He escorted me to the private room and I saw Amanda smiling at me as I entered the room. I smiled back.

"Welcome Lanie take a seat " She said.

" Thank you " I sit across with her.

" What do you want to order? Order what you like. It's my treat. Don't be shy " She gave me the menu and I took it and say thank you.

I ordered salad and ice tea. I ate my snacks before I gone here. She ordered beef steak and a cola.

Amanda and met for the first time during her bachelorette party. I was there for her event. Amanda is a friendly and outgoing woman despite the fact I'm the ex-wife of her husband.

" Happy to see you again! Lanie! " She said with a smile. I could see the excitement in her eyes.

" Me too! " I feel awkward. We are not close. It's been a year we since we met.

" I want to meet you because I want to be your friend, not just your client. Can I be your friend, Lanie? "

" Sure " I said without hesitation.

" Thank you for giving me a privileged as your friend. I meant it. I always wanted to be friend with you. Don't feel awkward or shy with me. We are just equal. Okay? "

" Okay " I don't know what to say. I still feel awkward towards her. I thought she's a mean you know like those typical rich wives. Who underestimate and always arrogant to others.

During our lunch, we talk random things like about the society today. The millennial people. The weather. Our High school moments. She's an interesting person and witty. I enjoyed my company with her.

Afterwards, we take a selfie then go separately.

***
Amanda went to her hotel and dialed Jerry and informed that she and Lanie are friends now.

" what do you think of her? Did you examine her eyes? He asked her excitedly. He wants to know desperately.

" She's blooming, Jerry. I could see happiness in her eyes. It seems she's over with you"

"How come?"

Amanda send the picture of her and Lanie " The eyes speak the truth"

He scrutinized the picture of Lanie. He zooms -in her eyes. Amanda is right. She's looking radiant even more after they divorced. She's not wearing makeup just a red lipstick.

He wondered how quick she's over with him. Maybe she has a boyfriend. He compared himself to her. She's looking more beautiful than him.

Amanda keeps on telling him to grom himself. He looks

problematic.
Stressed.
Shit.

" Jerry are you still there? " Amanda break the silence.

" Yes, sorry "

" Why don't you meet her tomorrow ?"

" I can't. I need to fix my life first. Remember, we are planning to ruin the company of our parents"

" I know. But how about Lanie? She can't stay single for years. What if he found someone? Use your time wisely, Jerry"

He let out an exasperated sigh. "My life is complicated, Amanda. I don't know which I will fix first my love life or my life? If I choose to love life, my parents will kill her "

" That's what love is, Jerry. Its something you risk. You know what? You are just a boy and coward. Sorry to say that coz that's what I see in you " Amanda said frankly.

Those words slapped him.

He is a coward.
He failed to save their marriage.