One

1820

Gerald Hemmingway's POV

After the big attack on the evil which went wrong, we gather around at the meeting court and we all are silent when the head of our society Malcolm joins us. He stands in the middle of our circle. "We have fought for years. Never have we defeated the evil. You need to take it from here." He says. "One of you will be in my place for as long as you will fight." He says. 

"On this day in 197 years, the special one will come to Meadowwick to save our people and our town." The leader of our people tells us. "He or she will save us and everybody who is in our society." Malcolm tells us seriously. The fact that we will never get the chance to thank our hero is sad. He pushes his silver sceptre deeper into the ground to draw the symbol of portals and doors. "I am getting older and more ill by the day so I can not continue fighting against their powers. The boy or girl will take our places on his or her own." He says and looks at us. 

With an encouraging look, he speaks to us. "We are the good, never forget that and stay strong." He says and leaves towards his castle...

* * *

This day (2017)

Amy Flemming's POV

The train ride was very long and kind of boring. Listening to my favourite music and reading my favourite book was really good to kill time. I step out on to the platform and the cool air hits me. As I walk I tighten my scarf that is around my neck.
The black taxi arrives at the station and the chauffeur steps out. "Hello and welcome to Meadowwick." He says and I greet him back. "Where do you need to be?" He asks me when he get on the big road. "Hemmingway Boarding School." I say looking on the papers in my hands. He smiles and nods.

"Here we are." He says stopping in front of a massive building. "This is so cool." I whisper to myself.

"Thank you." The man says as I hand him the cash. "Thank you." I say when he gives me my suitcase and wishes me good luck. I might be needing it.  Is what I think when he drives off and I look at the house. A few eyes are on me and some people follow me with confusion. After taking a deep breath to prepare myself for what is about to happened, I walk up the steps and knock on the door. A little gold plaque is attached to the bricks next to the door. Built in 1830.

A lady opens the door for me. "Hello, you must be Amy." She says and smiles kindly. "Yes, that is me." I say and she lets me in. "Hello, I am Kate Winston. Owner of this house." She says proudly. "This house is built in 1830 by the Hemmingway family and later passed on to my family when the original owners passed away." She explains. "What happened to them?" I ask her. "They passed away in a terrible car accident in 1846"

"Would you like a drink?" She asks me as we walk into the kitchen. "Yes, please." I say feeling very thirsty. She pours in a drink. "I know it is hard to move house but I promise it will feel like your home soon." The glass is passed to me. "Thank you, Mrs. Winston." I say. "Please, call me Kate." She says. When my glass is empty, Kate shows me around the house and we start in the kitchen/dining room where we are now. "This is the dining room and kitchen. In the school weeks the breakfast is served at 7:30 util 8:30. On weekends breakfast is from 9:30 until 10:30. School starts at 9:00. Dinner in school weeks at 18:30 same for weekends." She explains. "Never leave the house before school and an hour before lights out." Kate tells me strictly.

The kitchen has light grey cupboards and it the middle it has a large kitchen island with a few long stools to sit around it. The dining area has a very pretty vibe to it and in it the middle stands a very long table with 11 chairs around it.  We walk through the doors of the kitchen towards the living room. It is pretty. The room has modern touches and a lot of natural colors. The walls have light grey paint on them and the furniture is a light brown color. The room is very beautifully decorated with paintings on the walls. 

"Here we have the hallway." She says. It has a lot of details that match each other. "Here is the laundry room." Referring to the door in front of us. As we walk further, she explains some more things. "No drugs, alcohol or smoking. These things can lead to suspension. Pets are not allowed  to be kept in this house." She opens the next door. "The library. Computer use in this room is on from 7:00 until 20:00 and the same thing for the use of the telephones." The room is massive. It is almost the same size as the whole main floor of the house.

The last door on this side is our entrance to the school. "This door gets locked at 19:00." She explains. We turn the other way and before we walk up the stairs there is a platform. "Here we have my office and the boys bedrooms." She says opening the door to show me the corridor. "Everybody should be in their rooms by 21:30 and lights out at 22:00. On weekends time in your room is 22:00 and lights out at 22:30." I nod at her explanation. "The first door is my office." Kate quickly turns to me before continuing, giving me a very strict look and speaking to me. "Never let me catch you in my office without my permission. Always knock before entering." Her smile returns after saying that.

We get to the stairs and turn to a door. It leads us to a small corridor. "This is the girls bathroom." She says and carries on towards the next corridor. I spot a picture frame with a group of girls. They all look very close with each other. "This is where all the girls sleep." Kate says as we walk around the corridor. She quickly tells me who sleep in the other bedrooms before showing me mine. Next to our bedroom, there are three empty bedrooms. "These are bedrooms that aren't used but are furnished for new students."

"You share this room with Valerie." Is what Kate says as she opens the door to the very pretty room. "I will leave you to unpack." Kate says and leaves me in the room. I open the suitcase and put everything in their places. I smile at the room and take a look at everything. It has cream white colored furniture standing against the lilac/gold wallpaper on the walls. I have my own side which has a desk, bed and my own closet and dresser.

The side of my roommate is very colorful but still cute. Pictures of different occasions are hung up on her side of the walls. You can really tell that she has an obsession with camera's since her shelf is full of different kinds. A box on my desk holds the things that I will need for school. Textbooks, notebooks, flyers of different events that will be coming up and my schedule which I hang up on the wall. The copy I will keep in my schoolbag. I get out my bag and pack it for tomorrow. When I am all done with unpacking, I walk down the stairs and meet Kate back in the living room.

"There are a few more rules in this house that are required to be followed." Kate says. She explains that the uniform is supposed to be worn at school. "When there are visitors like parents coming over it is required to well them as well." I saw the uniform hanging in my closet when I was unpacking my things.

"Chores schedule is new every week. Not following the schedule will lead you to do one more week as well for the person who you are doing them with." She points towards the schedule on the kitchen door.

"Never leave this house without checking out. There is a book on the console table in the hall. Write down where you are going and at what time you are leaving. Do the same thing when you come back." I nod at her explanation.

I look at the charm bracelet around my wrist. Footsteps are heard behind me and I turn around to face a girl.
"Hello, do I know you?" She asks me with a sweet voice. "No, I am new here." I say and she looks surprised. "My name is Lucy." She introduces herself.  "Are you from London?" She asks me. "Yes, is it the accent?" I ask her since her accent is different than mine. "It is actually your bracelet. It is very pretty." I thank her. "My name is Amy." I say and she smiles.