Thirty

Amy's POV

As soon as I walk down the stairs, all eyes are on me and it makes me a little insecure. "You look so pretty." Paige says when I have arrived downstairs. "You look beautiful." Chester says and kisses my cheek. Kate makes pictures with her own camera and then makes some pictures with Valerie's polaroid camera. I take hold of Chester's hand and walk over to our school entrance.

We enter the gym which is decorated with gold, black and red decor. The Eiffel Tower is placed in the middle of the room, golden stars are hung up on the white sheer curtains that are pinned to the wall and red/silver heart shaped helium balloons are hanging down from the ceiling. A long table is standing against the walls. The top is filled with different drinks and snacks. "Paige, it is beautiful." I compliment her and the council team. "Thank you, Amy. It means a lot to us." Paige smiles as she holds on to her date's arm.

"Hey, haven't heard from them yet?" I ask Ethan and Valerie who are leaning against the table. They both shake their heads. "Maybe we could still make this a fun night even though they aren't here." I tell them. I always feel bad if there are people alone at parties and stand in the corner the whole night feeling sad. They smile and nod. "You are right. There is no reason to feel sad because they stood us up. We should still have a fun night." Valerie says and takes Ethan's hand to pull him on the dance floor.

 We all get a drink and cling our classes to cheer. "To a great night." Valerie says and we drink the non-alcoholic champagne out of our glasses. Chester kisses me. "You look beautiful." I smile. "I am happy to be here with you."  We kiss and then turn towards the stage. Mr. Rutherford and Kate are standing on stage to welcome all of us and to get Paige on stage.

Paige walks on to the stage to stand behind the microphone. "Hello everybody. I am so proud and happy that we got to organize this prom again this year." She tells us and continues. "We hope that you all enjoy your midnight in Paris and have an amazing night." Paige steps away but it looks like she has forgot to say something because she walks back to the microphone. Chester leaves to the stage together with Ethan. "Don't forget to have fun and give it up for Lights & Dreams."  She says with a large smile pointing to the band that is gathering behind her on stage.  

"We are so happy to be here and play for you all tonight." They sing an original song before singing covers by other artists. Chester's eyes meet mine when they begin playing the song Be My Forever by Christina Perri and Ed Sheeran. "This was your first song remember!" Valerie says and smiles at me. 

She then turns to me and looks worried. "What is wrong?" I ask her and she points to Ethan. "When Heather and I came back from the hairdresser, Ethan was in the library trying to find out some things about this date cause he thought it might be a special day in history but didn't find anything. We talked a bit about Luna and Dan before he went to do something, leaving the letter from the cottage and the device with me." She tells me. "He came over to my room to talk about Luna as well." I tell her and she shushes me. "That is not the point, he asked me to store the device and the letter in the room at the back of the library but I totally forgot." My eyes widen. "So you are telling me that the device and the letter are in the library right now and they are not hidden so they are there for everyone to see?" She slowly nods, clearly scared for my reaction.

"I will go over to the house and see okay?" I tell her and she nods clearly scared. "I'm coming with -" Valerie says but I tell her to stay here. "Even though everybody is here, it will be a little suspicious if we are the ones that leave." I tell her. I give her a hug and then leave the room. I feel a little guilty leaving Chester and Ethan as they are performing but I will be back quickly. I slowly walk towards the exit of the gym and then quickly walk towards the entrance of the house to walk inside. I check the window above of Kate's office door and see that the light is off which means that she is still in the school. 

After checking if nobody is in the house, I walk into the library, searching for the device and the letter. "Amy. I thought you were a lot smarter." Mr. Hallman says as he appears from behind one of the bookcases.