Twenty-four

Amy's POV

"Hey." Chester says as I am putting some books into my locker. "Hi." I walk towards him with a smile on my face and wrap my arms around him. Quickly, he pulls away and steps backwards. "What is wrong?" I ask him when his eyes turn a little cold and his facial expression changes. "I think it is better if we end it." I look up at him. "Why? Have I done something wrong?" I ask him. Elijah walks towards his locker as we are talking. "I just don't feel the same about us anymore."  He looks at me. The tears are stinging in my eyes. "We can stay friends if you want that." Chester tells me before walking away.

Valerie heard the story from Elijah and sits down next to me in the Theater room. Her eyes glare at Chester as I tell her. "What a jerk." She says a little too loudly. Chester looks up with a confused expression before turning back to Ethan as we wait for Mr. Carter to walk in. When he enters, he walks towards the stage and smiles at us. "I hope you have had a fun trip. I also hope that you have had enough time to think about your play assignment that I gave you all. The people who have written the plot out for me, can hand it in." We hand the paper with the plot over to him and sit back down in our seats. 

"Today you will have these two hours of class to make preparations for your play." Mr. Carter tells us. "You may work in the library or here and work on the scripts, characters, costumes and other important details." Valerie raises her hand. "When is this due for?" She asks the teacher. "No worries. You will have the time until the end of the next term." He explains some more as I work on the details. "It is okay to have the others play the characters but keep in mind that they might be busy with their own play."

"Ethan, Elijah and Mason. I will need you to be the guys in my play." I tell them. They look up at me and I pass them the scripts. "You worked all of this out already?" Elijah asks  me. "I worked this out when we got the assignment. Are you in?" I ask them and they nod. Luna looks over at Elijah waiting for him to answer me. Last night was pretty weird since they kissed and apparently Elijah made a bet with Mason. "I'm in!" He says with a smile and so do the others. 

After the two hours of Drama, the bell rings which tells us that it is the first break. I head over to my locker and get out my Latin books. Elijah looks at me and walks over to me. "I heard your conversation with Chester this morning. Is that the reason, you didn't ask him for the play?" I nod and he looks down at me. I feel the tears stinging in my eyes again. "Come here." He tells me and I walk into his embrace. 

"Are you trying to take my girlfriend away from me?" Chester asks Elijah after getting his attention by scraping his throat. I quickly pull away from him. "Girlfriend? I thought you two ended it?" Elijah replies. "You wish, I am her boyfriend remember?" Chester glares at Elijah. "You ended it." I confirm and Chester looks over at me turning more angrier. "Amy, I have never ended it." Why is he acting this way? He broke up with me. "Why are you acting like you don't remember?" I ask him. He huffs and sighs. "Like I would forget something like that. If you want to end it, just tell me." Chester answers. "But you broke up!" I say loudly. He rolls his eyes. "Of course." Chester says sarcastically before walking away and leaving us behind. 

Of course, we still had the whole day in front of us. Ethan and I enter the Latin classroom the same time as Mr. Steward enters the class. He doesn't start about it and to be honest, I think it is good. Latin was very interesting at least that was my opinion. The lesson ended. Valerie decided to walk with me towards the next class Physics. 

I notice that Daniel keeps on looking at Valerie. "It is creepy." Valerie mouths to me but even though she is sitting next to me doesn't make a sound.

* * *  

We arrive at home and I head upstairs to our room, changing into a different outfit. A blue shirt with a black cardigan over it along with a pair of jeans. Ethan walks in to our room. "In half an hour, meet me in the library. Urgent!" I nod and he smiles. "Are you okay?"He asks me as I smile. "Yes, don't worry. I will meet you there." 

It took me half an hour to finish the Latin homework. I walk down the stairs and enter the library. The others are there already when I enter. "What is so urgent?" I ask them. "Ethan found these in the cottage this morning." I didn't even know that he went there before school. I take the picture from Valerie and look at the picture.  It is a picture of a bracelet. A clear tube with a red ribbon in it and the ribbon is tied into a bow to attach the bracelet to the wrist of whoever would be wearing it. "What is this?" I ask them. "This is a bracelet that the Maluvays wear. They can change into someone else's appearance." Ethan explains. "How do you know this?" I ask him. "This picture was inside of a book that I was reading in the cottage. It fell out." He tells me. "Okay, so? I do not get what this has to do with us." I tell them. "The person who wears it lives here in Meadowwick." Ethan tells me. "This says that it is the first one ever made so maybe there are more of these." Chester looks at me and says the first thing in this past half an hour. "If this guy or girl really lives here. Shouldn't we find out who this is?"  Chester suggests. Valerie and Ethan look at him like he has just said the dumbest thing. "That isn't a bad idea." I tell them. "If we check everybody at this school than maybe we can see who it is." Now they are looking at me the way they looked at Chester. "Is that so weird?" I ask them. They nod. The doorbell rings and I walk to open it. 

"Hello. I am Mr. Sherman. I am here to see Kate Winston and Mr. Rutherford about the health at this school." The man in front of me says as I have opened the door. Kate seemed to have heard it and walks out of her office into the hall greeting the man. 

"This might be the time of the year that the inspection will be doing the yearly inspection checking the schools food and hygiene." Valerie tells us. I look at her. "They get all the students together to check what they get with them to school." Chester looks up as I speak . "Isn't that a good time to check the students for that bracelet?" Ethan nods. "It is but we will have to spend the entire break to do it." I realize something. "Valerie and I promised Heather that we would help her with her play." I tell them and Valerie sighs. "If you two do that, we will do the checking and let you guys know as soon as we have seen something." Ethan says with a smile.