Thirty-one

"Didn't you think it was a little suspicious that Ethan went to your room to talk about Luna and Daniel when he has already spoken about it with Valerie?" How could he know? My mind is racing at this point. "Thanks to my good acting son, he could leave the device here with Valerie. We both know that she was too excited for the prom that she would forget to hide the letter and the device." Mr. Hallman tells me. "Son?" I get chills on my spine when Ethan appears from behind another bookcase behind me.

"Ethan?" I say when the guy that looks like Ethan's slowly changes into a different person. Daniel.  I feel myself become nauseous. Dan pulls up his sleeve, revealing the bracelet which lets a specific person to change into someone else. "Isn't it amazing to be with Chester again after your breakup that Chester didn't even know about? Must have felt awful." Daniel asks me with an evil grin on his face. I take a step back to bump into another person. Let me guess: Luna? I turn around to see that I am right. I sigh and feel so incredibly stupid, especially since I did not trust Daniel a single bit. "How could you two do this to my best friends?" I ask them with anger. "It isn't so hard, just not show up to prom." Luna says as she has the same facial expression as her father and brother. 

"Luckily, we have these things and we can start." Mr. Hallman says holding up the letter and the device. "Now open up the room and grab the diary!" He tells me with an evil smile. I turn around and slowly walk towards the back of the room. With shaking hands, I pull the book out of the bookcase behind me which make the other one move a side to reveal the hidden room. Mr. Hallman gasps and laughs. "Finally." He says. "Come on get it." Daniel pushes me inside of the room. I look around. Due to fear and the amount of diaries in the bookcases, it takes me a while to find the diary. "Hurry up we don't have the whole night." Mr. Hallman yells. I grab the 'right' one and pass it to them. I step towards the exit of the room but then get pushed back into the room. With force Mr. Hallman rips the handle to exit the room, off the wall and then pushes me against the wall. The push was so hard that I needed some time to get myself back up again but then realize that the bookcase is moving back into its place. It closes of the entrance. "NO! Let me out!!" I yell and push against the bookcase. I hit the bookcase with force, trying open it but it is no use. "LET ME OUT!!!!!!" I yell but it doesn't help because the bookcase doesn't move.

* * *

Elijah's POV

I look around and see that Amy is nowhere in the room. "Where is Amy?" I ask Valerie who is now dancing along to Till the World Ends by Brittany Spears with our other classmates. "She went back to the house." I am confused until she explains that Amy is hiding the device and the letter written by the dead owner of the house. "You let her go there alone?" I ask her. "Yeah, otherwise it would be to suspicious." Valerie shrugs not seeing the point but I rush out of the gym, running to the door which leads to the house and stepping inside of the hallway. On the floor is the letter which I recognize as the letter that the dead owner of the house wrote, a diary and the device. "Whatever." I say and search the whole house but can not find anybody and can't find Amy. I go back to Ethan's room. On his desk, he placed books like he owns his own private library and on his bed are other things. I spot a notebook on his desk. He is always making notes in this thing when they seem to be talking about the cottage and stuff. 

Comes unexpected as a new student. Amy's parents seen in the past room when they got into their car crash. Saviors birthday is on 12th of December 2001 and so is Amy's. Amy's bracelet opens the chest to reveal the device. Amy knows most of history's top things. Is very good at French. Mr. Hemmingway's mother was from French origin. 
Tells me that she doesn't trust Dan and then faints in Dan's presence when walked in.  

I reread the notes that he made a few times. My eyes look up at the Polaroid taken of Amy, Ethan and Valerie on Brooke's birthday, which is hung up on the wall and then my eyes widen when I realize it. I fold the paper and put it in my pocket. "Amy!" I yell her name through the whole entire house but she is nowhere to be heard or seen. "Elijah, I knew you would be the good guy in this whole story." Mr. Hallman says as he walks towards me as soon as I am in the hall again. Luna and Daniel are closely behind him as he stops next to me. I have never trusted any of them. "Your interest for her clearly started when I deleted the essay, didn't it?" Luna smirks. "Where is she?" I yell. "Looks like you will have to find out for yourself." Daniel says. "Guess you better should be warning everyone." He adds. 

They walk out of the house through the main front door of the house. "What do you-" But before I can finish my question, I spot orange and yellow flames though the windows of the front door. "NO!" I run through the door which leads towards the school. I press on the fire alarms (this time not to prank anybody) and then rush towards the gym where everybody is now panicking. "Fire!!!!!!!" I yell and Mr. Rutherford glares at me before seeing the fire forming outside through the windows. His expression changes into a worried one and then takes action by leading everybody to the closest fire escape which we can use. "Amy! Where is she?" Valerie screams as she sees me. "I am going to find her now!" I tell her and Ethan follows me but we get pulled back by Mr. Rutherford "Nobody is going back inside." Mr. Rutherford tells us as he takes us back to the group. When he has turned around to face Kate, I quickly run back inside the house. "Elijah! Get back here!" Kate yells but I keep running. The fire brigade is arriving and step out of the truck to do what they need to do. 

I sprint towards the back of the school and run through the gardens. I reach the back of the house.  When I have kicked in the door, I rush my way inside trying to be as quick as possible. There is something I am forgetting I think. I try my best to remember anything that Valerie and Amy told me when I found out about the 'secret' and the moments that I was actually listening to them while they talked about it. 

"All the way in the back  of the library is a secret room. Pull back a red covered book out of the last bookcase. The bookcase will move to reveal it. You will never find it if you do not know about it."

I run towards the library and step over the burning obstacles since the walls and door are ruined by the fire. They have lit fire in different parts of the building. Amy's words replay in my head as the flames are burning down the big bookcases in the room. A part of a bookcase hits my leg and I yell out in pain. With force and pain of the very hot wood, I try to get up but it takes me a lot of strength. My leg is beating as I walk towards the last bookcases which have been burnt down by the fire. The bookcase that apparently should have been hiding the room, has been burned down which creates a big space between the walls and the opening of the room. 

When I have entered, I look around the tiny room and then my eyes land on Amy.  A big pillar has fallen down on her. Her leg and her head are bleeding. With all the strength that I have, I lift it up and drop it next to us. I pick her up and make my way out of the space where the flames are coming our way. I saw firefighters walk inside the house when I ran off. "OVER HERE!" I yell hoping they will listen or hear it but the smoke entering my lungs isn't making it very audible. 

* * * 

Valerie's POV

Everybody is trying to keep hope but it is getting harder. Ethan is pacing around, clearly scared of what is going to happened as the school's tower, catches fire. Tears have not stopped rolling down my cheeks, ever since Elijah rushed off to go find Amy. How could I have been so stupid to let her go inside the house alone. I realize that everybody is holding their breaths when a young guy is escorted out of the door by a firefighter. In his arms, he is carrying an unconscious body. "Get them to the hospital!" The firefighter yells to the paramedics. I rush over to Amy and Elijah, as they are carried on to a stretcher. Worry rushes through our bodies as the ambulances, ride off with full speed with heir flashing lights on along with the sirens on. As they leave the house, other ambulances are checking if people are okay, the firefighters are doing their job to get the fire out and searching if other people are left in the building, behind them.