Thirteen

This morning, I woke up very early and got out of bed not trying to wake Valerie up. After a quick shower, eggs and bacon is what I smell when I walk into the living room. "Good morning, dear." Kate says and smiles. "Thank you." I say when she sets down a plate of eggs in front of me. Valerie walks in. "Why were you up so early?" She asks me as she pours in some orange juice for me. "I could not sleep." Valerie smiles. "Amy, just relax and eat well. Today we will be performing." She clings her glass against mine with a bright smile on her face. "Cheers." 

My hair is in a braid when Ethan and Chester enter my room. "Hi." I say and smile at them. They sit down on my bed. "I am sorry for not telling." Ethan says with a slight smile. "I am not mad." He looks up and me. "I am just confused since this is most likely impossible." Chester shifts a little but flinches before he shoots up. "Ouch. What is this sticking out on the side of your mattress?" He asks me, holding up the grey and white striped diary. As quickly as I can I take it from his hands before he opens it and lay it down on the desk. "Was that your diary? If you want you can give it back and I will put it back where I found it." Chester suggests with a cheeky grin. "No thank you." I answer. Ethan laughs at his suggestion. 

Mr. Hallman walks into the classroom with a smile on his face. "My favourite chapter of the book today." He announces. "All turn to page 209." We do as we are told to do and it took him exactly the whole entire lesson to explain this to us since nobody (not even Ethan) understood it in the first explanation. 

"Ethan and Amy, please pay attention." Mr. Steward tells us strictly when we are talking about something other than Latin. "Sorry sir." The man frowns. "Ancient writers such as Virgil and Cicero used Latin to its utmost capacity and wrote works of enduring value." He gives us 2 weeks to write an essay on how the Latin language was used in the olden days. In the break almost everybody is nervous for the next class. 

"First pair are Brooke and Lucy." Mr. Carter announces. They sing the song Don't Dream It's Over. We are second and we take our seats. Ethan and the rest of the band get ready. "Have fun girls." Mr. Carter tells us and we start to sing. After us it is on Ethan and Chester.

"That was amazing!" Valerie exclaims when we walk out of class when the bell rings. She gives Chester, Ethan and I a hug. "It was." They boys agree and smile bright. "You were so good." I tell Chester and Ethan. They thank me for the compliment. "Don't want to ruin the happiness but we do need to head to class right now before Mrs. Miller sends us to detention for being late." Ethan suggests after looking on his watch. "It was about time." Mrs. Miller tells us strictly when we walk into the classroom. "Sorry. Mrs. Miller." I say for the four of us and we take our seats. 

PE was very exhausting. It was comparable to Mason's work out the other day. We get to our last class Science and then get to the house. "No, she has not had a clue about anything being odd and feels at home already. I will call you as soon as anything changes." Kate looks up and sees me standing in the hall. Quickly, she puts the phone back in its place. She looks like nobody was allowed to hear her conversation but that is obviously what happens when you are standing in a public place. Her expression changes slightly and she smiles at me. "I just made some tea and homemade cake."

"How was school?" Kate asks me as I take a bite of the cake. "Good." She smiles at my answer. "What do you think of the house?" She asks me when I have took another piece of the cake. "I really like it." I tell her honestly and she smiles. "That is so good to hear. Amy. I have seen you getting along pretty well with Ethan, Chester and Valerie." I nod and smile. "That is lovely." Our conversation goes on for a few minutes until Mason walks inside. "I smell-." He starts but stops talking when he sees the cake on my plate. "Chocolate cake!" He almost screams. "Can you maybe give me a tiny piece? A big piece is also fine though." He says with a smile when Kate cuts him a piece of the cake and puts it on a plate. "Thank you." Mason says very thankful and begins eating.

"I have got the ingredients for everything you guys want to bake for the bake sale." Kate shows us what is in the bag and the list that Brooke gave her. "That is a lot of cake mix." I say looking at the large size packs. "There are more than 200 students at this school, Amy." Elijah tells me like I had sad a pretty dumb thing. "Oh." 

Paige, Valerie, Brooke, Heather and I discuss on the things we will bake and who is going to bake what. "Carrot cake cupcakes will be made by Heather and Lucy." Paige says writing their names down on the list. Paige is taking this pretty seriously. "Brooke and Valerie will make the chocolate cakes." Valerie is very happy about that. "Amy and I will make the red velvet cupcakes." For now this is what is written down and the rest will come later. The first time I ever made a cake on my own, it needed to be thrown away since I burnt the entire cake and smoke was visible in the kitchen. My mother was not happy and was always in sight when I baked something else later on. 

The Physics homework was really hard and Ethan actually helped me on that this afternoon. "Do you understand it now?" He asks me when he has explained how to do the equations. "Yes. Thank you." I say and smile. We finish the homework and then I turn to him. "Have you found out something else about the device?" I ask him. He nods. "According to what I read, the device has been hidden somewhere in Meadowwick." He tells me. "Is it in the house?" I ask him and he shakes his head. "I have no idea on where it is or can be hidden. I do know that the device can only be found by the saviour. As soon as the device is in hands of the Maluvays, it means bad news and the world will turn cold." 

"But how do we know where it is if the savior isn't around?" I ask him and he shrugs. "I honestly don't know." Chester and Valerie walk inside. By the look on my face they probably assumed that something is up. Ethan has told them everything and they just stare at him. "What do we do?" Valerie asks with panic in her voice. "We have to wait until Ethan finds out some more." I say and she looks at me. "That can take ages though." Valerie frowns. "Give me some time." Ethan asks her and she trusts him.

Ethan's POV

Mr. Hemmingway had a room where he kept his diary hidden and kept some notes. He had written in his diary about a cottage in the woods where he would spend his time. There we found a letter that he wrote before his death. He wrote that for people to find but new that only one person could save the world. This person is born in December. Why is that date so important? That is the only thing I can not can any information on and just don't understand.

There was a drawing of some sort of device in the box. The box had a lot unuseful things because most of it is ruined and dusty.

Since the girls were all serious and excited about this bake sale they forced us to help them with baking. Like we want and like that. Cooking is not a problem but baking is another story. "Come on, it will be done in no time." There Paige was wrong since Mason and Elijah burnt the waffles, Amy cut in her finger and burnt her hand on the oven. It took us a bit longer since we also needed to clean up the big mess that was made while doing so. "Are you okay?" I ask Amy who is holding her hand under the running tap. "Yes. I guess so." She tells me and I smile.

When everybody is about to leave I call Valerie, Amy and Chester to stay. "Listen. I think I found a drawing of this device and I believe it is either in the cottage or here in this house. We will have to find out." I explain them and Valerie frowns. "When do we need to find out?" Amy asks me. "It has no rush but I want to have enough information and find out why this is so important before jumping to conclusions. So who is in?" I ask them looking around the cirkle.

"I am but honestly I do not have a great feeling about that cottage. I do not have a great feeling about the hidden room in the library either but I rather stay in this house." Valerie tells us and I nod. "We can not leave the house at the same time so I suggest we split up. "After a long discussion, we come to the idea of Valerie and I going to the library after dinner. Tomorrow Chester and Amy will be going towards the cottage to see if there is anything there.

All the conversations are about the trip. Where will we be staying? How will be sleeping and things like what to pack for the trip. All I know is that we have to bring thick jumpers since it is pretty cold at the moment. "Kate? Can't you tell us where we will be going?" Heather asks her. "No sweetie. I do not know where you will be staying and besides I am not going with you all." Kate gives her a smile and Heather frowns. "But who will be cooking dinner?" Amy asks her. "Well, Mrs. Wilson owned a french restaurant for years so I guess she will be the one who will be cooking and preparing your meals." Everybody gets excited about that since her recipes are to die for.