Five

When I arrive back from school, I first head in to the library and log in to one of the computers. I open my email and see that I have a new email. It is send by my uncle John.

Dear Amy,

I really hope you are doing well in Hemmingway Boarding School and it is starting to feel like home quickly. There is something that your father and I have kept secret from you. When your father and I were your age, we got send of to Hemmingway Boarding School since our father and mother would be very busy with work. It feels very bad to do the same thing to you now but here is the truth. When your parents and I would talk about what would happened to you if they would come to pass away, your father had always wanted you to go to this school. It was a coincidence that a few months after their accident, I got a chance to become the manager of the office in the other county and needed to move. I have always trusted your father choice and I hope you can accept it knowing the truth now.

I really hope you have a great time there and we will see each other soon. We miss you lots.

Love,

Uncle John

I read the email over a few times until it really sinks in. The fact that I did not know this before does not make me angry but just a little bit curious in a way. A hundred different questions are flying through my head but it is too much to write down in an email. I feel that my eyes are very puffy and probably red from crying. I print out the email and quickly log out after hearing footsteps coming closer into the library.

I do not want anybody asking questions about why I was crying so quickly hide behind a book case all the way in the back of the library. "Heather really wants that play to be perfect." Ethan's voice sounds through the room. "Yes, she does and it is probably starting to annoy Elijah." Chester states. "Yeah. I would understand." Ethan says. Heather had been talking about the role play the whole day at school.

"Talking about perfect." Chester begins. "What do you think of the new girl?" Chester asks Ethan. "She is very kind." Ethan answers. "Dude, she is not only kind. She is beautiful." Chester says. I smile until there is a cold air surrounding me. I shiver slightly and look at where it was coming from. With moving a bit, I bump my arm against the wooden book case behind me.

I sit still in my spot since they probably heard me. "Did you hear that?" Chester asks Ethan after a few minutes of silence. "Yes. It came from that direction." Ethan answers as he walks towards the bookcase, I am sitting behind.

"What are you doing here, hiding behind a bookcase?" He asks me with a curious look. "Well, I was.." I say looking around for something to say. "Just looking for a new book to read." I say and get a random book out of the book case behind me.

Before we know it the book case behind us, moves away from the wall, sliding to the side and then comes to a stop. A big room is revealed. "What just happened?" Chester asks me. The book has a red velvet cover with a engraved into the material. "Can you pass me this book, please?" Ethan asks me. I give him the book. "This is the symbol of portals and doors." He explains as he inspects the book. "That explains a lot." Chester comments.

"How can I not have noticed this in the 5 years that I have lived here?" Chester asks as we walk inside the room after I put the book back in the bookcase. "Well, that is the whole thing about a hidden room, the owner doesn't want to be found and that is why he hid it." Ethan says stating the obvious. After a few minutes the door closes by itself.

"He has kept a lot in here." Chester says and looks at the things on the desk. "Aren't these Gerald Hemmingway's kids?" He asks holding up a picture frame. I recognize the kids from a portrait that hangs in the hallway. I walk over to him to take a look at the black and white pictures. "Yes. They are." Ethan answers as he looks at the picture. There are a bunch of other pictures spread out across the table.

Chester holds up another item. It is a newspaper article.

Gerald Hemmingway builds Hemmingway House

Gerald and Mary Bauregard have build Hemmingway House. They started building on January 5th and ended with building the house on December 25th. Their house is one of the biggest in Meadowwick which is unusual. There will be a big part of the house used as a work space for Gerald.

December 30th, 1830

"I think it is better to get back into the living room." I say feeling uncomfortable being in this room. The guys agree and we look around. "How do we get out?" Chester asks us looking around. There is a handle hanging down the wall. I pull it towards me and the door opens up. "He had a great way of thinking." Ethan says as we push back the bookcase.

"You three, I was looking for you and I need you to come to our room in 5 minutes." Valerie tells us. We nod and she smiles. Ethan looks confused. "I am going to work on those guitar skills that I told you about yesterday." He tells Chester and I before walking towards his bedroom. "You were not really looking for a book in that library earlier were you?" Chester asks me as we are sitting on the couch. I look at him. If he is not to be trusted then that is a little stupid to tell him but Valerie's words echo through my head. "He is a very loyal and amazing friend to have." I take out the letter that I have printed out. "This is what my uncle had mailed me today." I say and pass him the piece of paper. He reads it through and his eyes widen as he does that. "I now understand why your eyes were a little red and puffy." Chester says. "Look, this moving thing is always hard but you can talk to me if you need to." He says with a smile. "That is very nice to hear." I say thankful. "We should be getting to your room now since Valerie is very strict with saying 5 minutes." He tells me looking on his watch.

We arrive in my bedroom and almost everybody is there. Paige, Lucy, Heather, Mason, Elijah and Ethan walks in a bit later. I sit down on my desk chair since my bed is already taken by Paige and Heather. "Where is Brooke?" I ask her noticing her missing. "We asked Kate to let Brooke help her with some cleaning." Valerie says. "This is why I invited everybody so be quiet." Heather snaps. I roll my eyes at her and look around. "Saturday is Brooke's 17th birthday. Heather and I decided to hold a surprise party." Valerie says. "She will need to be as surprised as possible so do NOT tell her." Valerie tells us strictly mainly focusing on Mason. "Paige found out by herself after asking me a billion of questions." He says putting his hands up in defence. "Yes and that is why we will not let her realize that we are planning something." Valerie says.

When everybody is informed, Kate tells us that is time for dinner and we head downstairs to eat. Heather and Elijah keep on practicing the script for the play tomorrow. "I am very happy for you both but please get back to eating." Kate tells them mainly looking at Heather. "It is going to be awesome." heather says and smiles brightly. Valerie and I hold a conversation about some celebrities in one of her latest magazines. Lucy secretly looks at Mason all the time and Valerie catches her staring. "Just get on with it already." Valerie tells her with an encouraging smile. "He will go crazy if I do." Lucy whispers. "You will not know if you never try." I say. "Just keep this in mind. Better an oops than a what if. Life quote. Thank me later." Valerie says pretty proudly.

Dinner is finished so we head upstairs. Valerie and I decided to paint our nails in our bedrooms. Mine will be a nude color while Valerie's will be royal blue. She hums along with the music when they are dry to the touch Kate calls out that it is already time for bed.