Twenty-eight (Part I)

The sound of the alarm clock, wakes me up at 7:00. I groan before pressing the snooze button on the alarm clock next to me on the nightstand. "Today is the day of the plays!" Valerie says as she opens the curtains without a warning, blinding me. I smile as I get out of my bed. I grab my uniform and towel before heading over to the bathroom to shower. 

After showering and drying myself, I change into my uniform. My hair is brushed when I exit the bathroom and meet Paige and Brooke. Kate meets us downstairs in the dining area. "Good morning, girls." She smiles. I pour in some tea and make my breakfast. Kate sits with us before the others arrive. "Good morning." Chester says as he enters the room and kisses me on the cheek, handing me a bouquet of flowers. "What is this for?" I ask him. "Well, we will have to kiss different people so just a reminder that I love you." I smile. "That is so sweet. Thank you." I hug him before he sits down next to me. 

*  *  *

After brushing my teeth and curling my hair, I meet Chester downstairs to walk to school together. We are stopped by Ethan and joins us. "There is one day left on the device. I just do not know what they mean." He tells us and I think. "I don't know either. Valerie and I talked about things it could mean while she was practicing her lines for the play so she was not paying that much attention to me." Ethan laughs. 

We enter the corridor with our lockers. We put our books inside before heading to the corridor with the Design & Technology. All the designs for the plays are done so we are getting a knowledge quiz about what we have learned this semester. Ethan became first. Some things were explained before I joined this school so I got second place. 

After the quiz, we talk about the costumes and Mr. Lewis tells us that he will place the mannequins in the theater room. The bell rings and we head over to the classroom next door where we get Math. Mr. Hamlet walks inside and smiles at us. "I hope you have all made the homework." He says as he gets his things out of his briefcase. "If half of it is made counts as well, I have made it." Mason says as Elijah just laughs at him. Mr. Hamlet decides to ignore him and opens his answer book. We make sure that we get all the right answers written down. "If I didn't have you, I would have gotten an F." Valerie whispers. "I just helped you but you made it." I tell her and she smiles proudly. "That is true but still thank you."

The break is announced and we walk down the stairs to enter the lounge. The whole break everybody talks about the play or the prom which will be held tomorrow. 

When we have finished our food, we walk towards the French class. Mrs. Wilson walks in with a ball in one hand and her bag in the other hand. "Say green in French?" Mrs. Wilson says before throwing the ball towards Heather, who shrieks since she didn't see the ball being thrown at her but catches it anyway. "Verte." Heather says insecurely before receiving a smile from Mrs. Wilson, telling her that the answer is correct. 

"Now I want to form a circle in the back of the classroom and we are going to be asking each other questions. Whoever catches the ball must answer." We all move towards the back of the room where there are no chairs or desks surrounding us, making a circle. The door opens and it reveals Dan and Luna. All of a sudden the feeling that I got yesterday as I touched Dan returns and I dizzy in my head as the vision returns. I frown and try to hold on to something stable but I am surrounded by darkness before I can do it. 

* * *

Elijah's POV

Amy fainted? How? Mason rushes over to her on the floor and feels her pulse. "Give her some space and open the door to give her fresh air!" He says when everybody gathers around her. Amy slowly wakes up and looks around. She looks so pale and fragile laying there. It gives me a really weird feeling about what happened. Amy quickly sits up and almost goes again but is supported by Mason holding her. "I think that it is a good idea if someone takes Amy outside the classroom." Mrs. Wilson suggests. Without thinking I stick up my hand to tell her that I will take her out of the room. Everybody looks at me. If nobody volunteers, I will do it. Amy gets up slowly and holds on to me after getting our bags. 

We enter the lounge and I pull out a chair to let her sit down. I walk over to the vending machine to get her a bottle of water and a bag of salty chips. "Thank you, Elijah." She says with a faint smile as I sit down. "No problem." Amy takes a sip of the water. "Have you had this before?" I ask her curiously. "No, I don't think so. I do not know how this could have happened." It looks like she is remembering something but I am not the person to ask her about that. "It might be because you were dehydrated or a trigger that caused your autonomic nervous system to stop sending signals for a little while." Amy looks at me with an amazed expression and I do not blame her for that. "How do you know this?" She asks me. "Mason and the times that I was actually interested in Biology class." She smiles and takes another sip of her water before opening the bag of chips. She takes one and holds the bag out for me to take one. "Thank you." I say as I take one out of the bag. "What is your play about?" Amy asks me. "About a guy who is in the war and comes home to finding out that everybody in his town left due to war warnings." I explain. She is clearly surprised. "How did you come up with it?" Amy asks me with a curious tone. "Inspired on events." I tell her. "Oh how come?" She asks but quickly adds: "Sorry, you really don't have to tell me." I sigh and look at her. I must say that I don't really communicate that much with her except for Economy sometimes and now for that strange device thingy but other than that rarely ever but somehow I feel like I could trust her. People are going to ask about what inspired me to do this play anyway but I will not tell them what the real story is but I will tell Amy. Because I trust her. 

"My mom and dad had a rocky relationship so they decided to take a break from each other for a while. I decided to go with my dad as my little brothers stayed with my mother. We were gone for a week and when we came back my mom and my little brothers were gone without a word. I have never heard of them since then. I know that my brothers are now 11 years old or something but that is all." Shit, my voice is cracking. I hate that. Amy leans over and reaches out to hold my hand. "You will see them again someday, Elijah." She tells me and smiles. Her hand goes through her hair and she sighs. Mrs. Wilson enters the room after the bell rings, announcing that the next class will begin in a few minutes. "Are you okay?" She asks Amy and Amy nods. "I feel a bit better now." Amy says as she smiles at me. "I have made a note to Mr. Hallman. You can hand this in so he knows." She gives Amy a permission slip and Amy thanks her. "I have to head over to my next class. Hope you feel better otherwise just come to my classroom." Mrs. Wilson leaves.