Fourteen

Amy's POV

According to Valerie and Ethan there was nothing to bee seen in the hidden room in the library. "Okay, then we will be heading out now." I tell Ethan and we grab out coats but get stopped by Kate. "Where are you two going?" She asks us with a strict expression. "We were just heading out for a walk." I tell her quickly. "Without checking out?" Kate mentions when she has checked the log book. "Oh, we are so sorry. We forgot about it." I tell her and she nods. For this time she let us go but if we do it once more we will have chores for the whole week.

"You saved us with that." Chester says when we walk out of the school grounds. "Yes." I say and we head into the forest. "Did we leave the lights on the last time we were here?" I mention and Chester looks around. "I do not know honestly. I think we have since we are the only people knowing about this place." He must be right. We decide to split up and take separate directions. I decide to take the upstairs and Chester downstairs. This does feel pretty creepy since I just do not have a feeling that we are alone in here.

When there is nothing to be seen here, I turn back to head downstairs when something catches my eye. On the floor next to my foot is a silver bracelet. A small silver chain has a charm that says Ella in cursive handwriting. The jewelry piece is in my pocket as I walk down the stairs. Footsteps are still heard and by the heavy sound it does not tell that they are Chester's. Before I know it, I get pulled into a dark room and someone pulls me down beside him. "Keep quiet, there is someone here." Chester whispers softly as we quickly walk through a door that leads us to another room in the house. 

"Is he gone?" I dare to ask but Chester tells me to be quiet. He opens the door to a little gap and peeks through the peek. Chester quickly steps backwards. He points towards the room and then puts a finger to his lips to tell me to not say a word. I nod and we wait. We hear a door close and I wait for a few minutes until I hear footsteps on the stairs. "Is he gone?" I ask him in a whispering tone to be quiet. "I think so. If we walk towards the front door quietly we can go." Chester tells me and I nod. We are a bit nervous since we are scared that the person will hear us but eventually we get out safely without making any noise while doing so. 

To tell Valerie and Ethan the news, we meet up in our room. When they have entered and sit down we begin to tell. "We have not found anything about the device in the cottage but we didn't really get the chance to do so. There was someone in the cottage." I tell them. Ethan's eyes widen. "No, I am not making this up." I tell him. "Did you know who it was? Did the person see you?" He asks us and I shake my head since I didn't actually see what the man did look like. "It was a man and I do not recognize him but I do know that he might have been looking for something which he hasn't found. "We need to be careful when we will go back there since we do not know who this guy is and what he was looking for." Ethan says as he looks at the three of us. "Do we really have to go back there?" Valerie asks Ethan and he shakes his head. "Not for now maybe it is better to stay away from there for a little while." 

"Amy. What are you doing here?" Brooke asks bursting through our bedroom door. "Talking with Val, Chester and Ethan, why?" I asks her. "You and Heather, are supposed to be baking the rainbow cupcakes." I look at her. "Sorry, we discussed that this morning when you were out with Chester." Valerie tells me. "You and Chester went out?" Brooke asks me in a shocked tone. "No, we just went for a walk this morning." Chester asks as he rolls his eyes when she leaves and closes the door behind her. "Guess that means I will have go." I say and get up. "We will find the device." I assure them before walking out of our room. 

* * * 

"I do not think this batter is right. It looks so runny." Heather says as she stirs in the mixture. "You have added way to much milk to this." She snaps and I roll my eyes. "3 1/2 cups milk is what you said to add." I say and she frowns looking almost angry. "Well, I said 1 1/2 cups milk." She tells me and I look down at the floor. Heather frowns and throws her hands up in frustration  when she brings them down, they hit the bowl that holds the runny substance and we gasp as the batter falls on the floor. After a few seconds, we look up at each other and begin to laugh. We fall into a fit of laughter, the one were the tears are forming in the corners of our eyes and after a few minutes we calm down. "Lucy, pinch me." Brooke tells her friend and Lucy gives her a strange look. "Why?" Lucy asks her doing as she does what she is asked. "Ouch!" Brooke holds her arm and then points at us. "They are having a good time." She tells her referring to us.

We turn and face Brooke who is standing their watching us with a big smile. "I am really sorry for being so rude to you, Amy." Heather says with a smile on her face. "It is fine really." She hugs me. "Well, this mixture has come all over my new shoes and dress so I am going to be taking a quick shower. Maybe it is better to finish this another day." She says as she takes off her jacket. "Good idea."

Lucy and Brooke have gone up to their rooms as I clean up the floor. "You need a hand?" Chester asks me. "No thank you. I'm fine." Is what I say as I put the tissue in the bin. "What are you doing?" He asks me and I turn to him. "Well, I was baking with Heather until the bowl with the batter fell to the floor. Heather is getting changed." I say at what happened and he nods. "Okay."

"If you would like to, I could help you clean this up." He suggests looking at the things on the kitchen island. "Okay, maybe I do need a hand." As we are cleaning up we talk about the man who could have been in the cottage. "Look, I do not know who it was but we do need to keep ourselves away from there for a while. If he sees us in there, we might be in trouble." The fact that there is somebody in there that we do not know is a little creepy and I do not want to know what he is doing there.

My thoughts get disturbed when a powdery consistency is pressed against my shirt when I turn around. Chester gasps and I catch myself doing the same. He lets out a small laugh. "I am really sorry." It doesn't really come out that serious. I give him a small smirk as I 'accidentally' throw the pack of sugar against his shirt. "You are paying for it." He says with a smile.

One of the eggs is being cracked on his head and the cinnamon is all in my hair. The white flour is all over his clothes. He tucks a piece of hair behind my ear as he leans in coming closer. Our lips are almost touching when we get company. "What happened in here?" Elijah asks looking around the kitchen. Kate walks in with a shocked expression on her face. "This will be on you two to clean up." She tells us strictly. "Yeah." Chester says with a laugh as I lean my head against his shirt to contain the laughter and hide my face. "It is." A chuckle escapes his lips.