Chapter 16 Catch-Up and Chariot

Disclaimer - I don't own Harry Potter or Percy Jackson, except for my OC. J. K. Rowling and Rick Riordan do, not me. (Imagine Harry Potter was in the same time period as Percy Jackson).

Bianca's POV

A satyr stood up and blew his conch horn, grabbing our attention. Tantalus, the one in the orange jumpsuit, began talking, but I ignored half of it. I didn't know what it was, but I don't have a good vibe about him at all.

"And here on my first day of authority, I'd like to say what a pleasant form of punishment it is to be here," Tantalus continued. "Over the course of the summer, I hope to torture...um...interact with each and every one of you children. You all look good enough to eat."

What-

Dionysus, the god of wine, politely clapped, encouraging the other satyrs to follow suit. Saffron looked disturbed by what Tantalus said, but he clapped softly with the satyrs. Obviously, he's thinking like me.

Tyson was uncomfortably still standing at the head table. Every time he tried to leave, Tantalus would pull him back. I frowned, pitying him and wondering why this man was so cruel to him.

"And now some changes!" Tantalus exclaimed, revealing a crooked smile. "We are reinstituting the chariot races!"

There were murmurs all around the dining pavilion. Meanwhile, I'm still confused about what chariot races were.

Tantalus continued, "Now I know that these races were discontinued years ago due to some technical problems."

"Three deaths and twenty-six mutilations," someone spoke up.

Huh?

"Yes, yes!" Tantalus agreed. "But I know that you will all join me in welcoming the return of this camp tradition. Golden laurels will go to the winning charioteers each month. Teams may register in the morning! The first race will be held in three days' time. We will release you from most of your regular activities to prepare your chariots and choose your horses. Oh, did I mention that the winner's team's cabin will have no chores for the month?"

Everyone began conversing about this chariot race once again.

We have chores here?

I watched as Clarisse object to Tantalus' proposal. There was a sign on her back that read, "YOU MOO, GIRL!" I frowned a bit when some kids began to laugh at the sign. Her cabin mates pulled her down into her seat.

Tantalus moved on to a different subject: Tyson. He began to preach how Tyson is a monster.

If kids act like this to one another, especially this grown man, I hate it here already. Can something here get better at least?

I also didn't think Tyson was a monster. I mean, I did at first, but he helped destroy one of the bulls!

All of a sudden, there was this bright green trident light circling above Tyson's head. Everyone began to gasp.

I tapped Alice's shoulder and gestured to what was happening to Tyson and why everyone seemed so surprised. "Hey, Alice, what does that mean?"

"The cyclops just got claimed by Poseidon..." Julia answered instead of the awed Alice.

Tantalus began to cackle, but I didn't understand why. "Well, I think we know where to put the beast now. By the gods, I can see the family resemblance!"

Everyone laughed at his comment. I clenched my jaw in frustration. Tyson didn't seem to care about the campers ridiculing him; he was too focused on the glowing trident.