Chapter 9

"No way, this has got to be a joke." I said as I kept looking at the papers.

"It's no joke Katie." I heard a man say. I looked up and saw Zak leaning on the door frame with completly different clothes on. He had on a pair of worn out black jeans and a black short sleeve shirt on with a cross in the middle. He also had on a white hat and white sneakers with white laces.

"Why did you do this?"

"Well, I felt so bad that you lost your family and the orphanage and I thought it was the least I could do." He said, walking to my bed and sitting down. A tear of joy rolled down my cheek and I gave him a huge hug.

"Thank you, Zak." I said. "I mean, Dad." I looked at him.

"It's ok, you don't have to call my Dad or anything." He said. I let out a sigh of relief and plopped back into my pillow only to have a sharp pain run through my back.

"Ouch!" I yelped and sat up, rubbing my back with my hand. I remembered about the explosion and my grusome fall.

"Be careful," Zak said. "The doctor said that you might feel pain for a few days, maybe even weeks. So just relax and let me take care of everything. I got your pain killers and suprise waiting for you at home." He got up off the bed and walked out. "I'm going to go sign you out so grab your clothes, get dressed and make sure you bring your paperwork." I nodded and he left the room.

"Home." I said.

-in the car-

"Are you ready for Vegas?" Zak asked me while driving to the airport.

"I don't know," I replied while looking out the window.

"What are you afraid of?" He asked in a curious voice.

"All the murders." I replied.

"Murders? What murders?" He asked, really confused.

"Have you seen CSI?" I joked. He laughed then turned the music on full blast, which hurt my ears, so I turned it down. He gave me a weird face than turned it up again, so I turned it down just to annoy him. We kept doing this all the way to the airport.

-One boring airplane ride later-

It took the airplane trip about 23 hours to get to Vegas then another hour or so to drive to Zak's place and I stayed up for all of it. When we pulled up into the driveway Zak threw a blindfold over my eyes.

"What's the blindfold for?" I asked, trying to take it off.

"Eh, dramatic effect." I heard Zak say. I heard him get out of the car and walk over to me and help me out. He led me up a couple of steps then stopped me in front of what I think was the door while I heard keys jingling and the door unlocking. "Watch your step." He said.

"Zak, I swear if someone jumps out at me, I'm going all kung-fu on them." He chuckled but I started to yawn because I had stayed awake the whole time and I just now started getting tired. It was about 1am and we'd been traveling ever since I got out of the hospital.

"1...2...3!" He ripped the blindfold off and spread his arms so I could see everything. "Suprise!" There was a big group of people in the middle of the living room with a huge lime-green banner hanging above them that read, WELCOME HOME KATIE!

"You guys threw a suprise party for me in the middle of the night?" I asked. I looked around at all the people that were here. Nick, Aaron, Billy, Zak, an old woman(which I'm assuming is Zak's mother), Nick's wife, Zak's sister, and Aaron's little jack-russel puppy, Rubble.

"Does it matter what the time is? We got cake!" Aaron shouted. I giggled and walked into the crowd of people so I could finally socialize instead off being stuck in a hospital bed.