Chapter 12

I woke up to the sound of shouting that was coming from behind my door. I sat up and was about to get up and open the door when I threw up again in the trash can Zak gave me. I wiped my mouth then continued to open the door were I could have sworn I heard Zak yelling. I slowly opened the door and was blinded by billions of cameras flashing in my face and voices asking questions over and over again. I could make out a couple of questions that were directed to me but the thing I noticed most was Zak's body blocking the door and yelling at the photograhers.

   "Get out of here! She's sick! Give her some space!" He kept trying to shoo them away but they kept coming closer and he hadn't noticed me until I spoke up.

   "What's going on out here?" I raised my voice so everyone could hear me. Zak turned around and got an angry look on his face then turned back to the flashing lights and started yelling again.

   "You woke her up! Get out of here! All of you! Shoo!" He got them to turn around and leave then he motioned me inside and locked the door.

   "What was that about?" I asked while I climbed back into bed.

   "The fucking paperazzi. Once they heard about the inccident they were knocking down the door trying to get answers. I'm sorry they woke you up," He went to the little kitchen area and started looking through the cabinets for something.

   "It's okay, I was probably going to wake up soon anyway." I looked out the window for no reason and say the paperazzi still waiting outside so i quickly closed the curtain. "Well, to make things better I think my fever went down a bit." He gave me a look like, 'Yeah sure okay let me check' then walked over and put his hand on my forehead. After a little he pressed his cheek up against it as well and it brought back an instant memory.

   "My mom does that too," I said when he back away but I looked down at the thought of her. "Well, she use to," I could feel my stomache twist and turn and thought I was going to throw up again but I held it down.

   "It's okay, just don't think about it. The good news is you don't feel warm so I guess you can come to the lockdown tonight." He back away and turned to go back to the kitchen. My face lit up with joy because I've been thinking that since my accident I would have a better conection with Darleen. I ran over to Zak and jumped on his back.

   "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" I held onto him and hung about a foot off the ground.

   "Choking. You're choking me." Zak gagged. I let go and let myself fall to the floor were I crossed my legs and covered my face with my hands.

   "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to. It will never happen again. I promise." I remembered a memory from when I was little and whenever I would get in trouble I would cross my legs, cover my face and apologize. I don't know why I did it just now, I guess I triggered something and it brought the memory back.

   "Katie, I wasn't going to yell at you." Zak took my hands away from my face and looked me in the eyes. I could feel that warm moment where you lock eyes with someone and you become lost in the beauty of the dark green pools of love.

   "Um...I... I don't.... I won't do it again. I'm sorry." I was speechless and out of breath.

   "Stop apologizing, I just don't undersatnd why you did that." He helped me up and I got ready for the lockdown.

                                        -5:40 pm-

   Everybody was getting ready for the lockdown at the saloon and Aaron was the most excited, though I don't know why. We were warned that they're are parts of the saloon that are extremly dangerous because of some toxic or harmful gas in the air so we have gas masks to wear.