Chapter 1

Chapter 1.Unexpected News and Uncertain Numbers

Numbers.

I'm good with numbers.

I love numbers and everything they result in.

Weddings, though. Not my thing.

Trying to concentrate on the new projections for Launch tomorrow was being proved impossible thanks to The Wedding. I need to verify these numbers for one of the most important launches in Space X's history and I can't even move on from the burning fuel percentages during flight. Great.

"You've been staring at the same spot on that paper for 5 minutes Siobhan," I hear Jerry from the Space X Launch Team from behind me. "Are the numbers wrong?"

Of course not, the numbers are never wrong. I calculated them myself. I think. The wedding's what's wrong.

"No," I forget about the wedding for a second and check the final projections. "Everything seems alright. Just send them over to the Boss," I respond."- you know he likes to look them over before launch."

"Sure"

"Don't forget to choose the interns you want inside Mission Control tomorrow and be there early, otherwise I won't let them in." I pick up my things and head for the door of the conference room we were currently in.

"Not even 5 minutes late?"

"You know how Boss is, Jerry." I raise my voice as I walk further away.

The last thing I catch is a huff  from Jerry.

Boss likes punctuality, can't say I disagree.

----

"How was work today?", the soft voice asks, making me take a mouthful of air while rearranging my phone between my left shoulder and ear.

"I love work," I reply.

"Sib, sweetie, I know you do. I was just trying to be polite and ask you how it went."

"No, You were trying to make conversation before you asked me if I was going to attend the wedding." I say, sounding a bit annoyed."Which may I add, you just blurted out of the blue this morning."

Weddings and any other special occasion that required being amongst hundreds of strangers, was on my AVOID list. The list that has been growing since I could solve exponential equations before any high schooler could.

"You have to come! It's a best friend requirement! You know Niall will hunt you down for the wedding as long as I am happy, so why not say yes already?" She starts rambling, "You see, If Niall doesn't have to go all the way to California-

"I'm in Florida, Nol," I interrupt her.

"Florida, whatever. You never update your location so why bother." she continues. I roll my eyes," If Niall doesn't have to go all the way to Florida," she emphasizes," You avoid the public humiliation that is Niall Horan dragging you to the plane"

Sweet Nol has turned into the devil.

"Actually, It's highly unlikely I'll be in Florida in the approaching days before your wedding."

"Siobhan Bähr, you are coming to my wedding, so start figuring out my unique wedding gift which has to be better than anyone else's cause you're my best friend. Am I clear?"

You see, Noelle Musk aka Nol, has been dating former band member from One Direction, Niall Horan for 2 years and now they have to get married cause they couldn't keep their hormones in check. Not that they hate the idea of spending every second of their lives together forever and ever. But now, they want me to travel to Mexico to be a bridesmaid. A Bridesmaid, people.

"Fine," I finally agree. "There better be a fucking buffet waiting for me."

And that was the phone call that left me deaf.

"Girl, there's gonna be a menu specially for you. And my dad's gonna be there the whole time. you're gonna have your daily dose of rocket talk so don't you worry."she says after finally settling down.

Oh boy. Things you do for you're best friend. The best friend that shouted the news about her wedding at 7 am during a 2 minute phone call.

"Speaking of Mr. Elon Musk, does he know about the fetus growing in your uterus?"

"No, and you can't say a damn word, Siobhan Bähr!" she shouts.

"Damn, I wasn't going to. Chill your hormones," I wince, holding my phone to my other ear. Thank goodness I have two. 

"Good, I'm planning on telling him at the wedding." she says proudly, sounding confident in her master plan.

"Hmm, Nol? I don't think that's a good idea."

"What? Why?"

Well, for starters Elon still hopes that you marry a scientist not an Irish rockstar that dyes his hair blonde. He's still happy that you're happy, that is just his scientist mind thinking for him. So, if you tell him at your wedding to certain Irish rockstar (that dyes his hair blonde) that you're excepting a child from said Irish, he's gonna flip. Yeah, I don't think that plane's gonna fly.

"I just think you can do it another time, you know? after the wedding preferably."

"Oh, well. Maybe you're right."

Fuck yeah, I'm right!