Chapter 38

Chapter 38. Faces on red billboards.

Letting people down is something I'm taking up as a hobby lately.

It doesn't matter how many times I tell myself I'm alright, my brain won't have it.  I am so close to throwing up and just lay in bed until the sun comes back up. The text I sent to Harry explaining that I couldn't help him tonight was really hard to type, but I am in no condition to form coherent sentences. 

Gale Humphries made a circus out of the situation. There was no need to publicly fire me and make a joke out of my name. His half-assed statement was nothing compared to the twitter debate he took part in when the news broke out. 

Elon had told me it was only a suspension and I don't want to blame him for anything until he explains what the hell is going on, but I also don't want to pick up my phone or talk to anyone. 

I could've handled the firing part like a grown up and I have a feeling Humphries knew that. He wanted to cause enough damage to have my father's attention on him. It sucks to admit that he succeeded. 

I don't remember when exactly did I fall asleep on the couch but I'm glad I got some rest. I honestly thought I was going to go through the next day like a zombie. 

The sound of my phone going off forces me to get up from the couch. I follow the sound coming from the kitchen with my eyes half-closed. I groan internally when I see Noelle's name on the screen. 

She knows that I get up at seven am everyday, It is smart to call me before I go for a run if you want to be the first thing I think about after I wake up. 

I let her call go to voicemail and head upstairs to change. An early run might be just what I need right now. Reiner wakes up around nine so I have enough time to run, come back, have a shower and prepare breakfast. Just enough time to think about what exactly am I going to do.

----

Its four pm on the dot and the house has turned dark. I have officially become paranoid. I know for a fact that no paparazzi knows my home address, but that can soon change if someone sells it out for a vacation to the Maldives. In the 24 hours since everything happened, Gale Humphries succeeded in angering my father and my short-tempered mother. He also got himself his 15 minutes of fame. My mother --being the tech-lover that she is--of course knows how to use every social media and took it upon herself to favorite tweets on twitter. She even pinned an article on her twitter profile from CNN about how me being fired all of a sudden seems bizarre. Mothers and social media is weird. 

Reiner is watching some Disney movie on my bed while I sit pathetically on the floor next to my bed finishing my last assignment of the week for that quantum mechanics degree I should have finished ages ago. The only good thing about my situation is that my professor won't kick me out of the program because he's actually a highly educated, well-respected man with a good sense of understanding for struggling adults with a life that is turning to shit thanks to...Gale fucking Humphries.