Chapter 2

Chapter 2. You know nothing, Siobhan Bähr

"Sir, with all due respect. How do you expect a rocket that small and fragile to carry a load that expensive and heavy and then remain in space for more that 24 hours orbiting the ISS?"I ask incredulously.

"Don't you see the charts girl!" he points at the white board behind him, scribbled with nonsense that honestly, was wrong the moment he wrote the first number down.

"Sir," I say gritting my teeth and scratching my neck simultaneously. I was losing my nonexistent patience. Actually it was gone 30 minutes into the video conference. "You're data is wrong"

I was past worrying about the amount of men in this crowded room or the stares from people that didn't personally know me. When I first walked into the room, yes, I was sweating my ovaries through my jeans, hoping no one would indulge in a conversation with me --Hoping and dreaming that my input wasn't required. Of course, until the Palestinian man asked for the Chief of Engineering. When he laid his eyes on me, he had absolutely no interest in showing respect. My anxiety was rising.

At my words, the only response the Palestinian man on the screen had was to flip me the finger. Yes, a grown up man just flipped me the bird.

"Sohn einer Hündin" I mutter under my breath.

"Someone get me a man that knows about rocket launching, and has a masters degree in putting shit in space."

Palestinian man that writes with his left foot said what?

In that moment, my sanity left the room. I was in no mood to deal with an ignorant sexist man when I could be celebrating another successful launch with the rest of the crew. Did I mentioned Successful launch? Yeah, successful. Pay attention men in the room. I just put a lot of heavy shit in space.

"Oh, you want a man!? I'll give you a man and while I'm at it I'll take my masters degree and put it up your a-

"Siobhan!"

"What!?" I yell exasperated, turning to look at my boss. He raises his eyebrows, telling me silently to sit down. Between my frustration and anger I managed to end up right in front of the camera that is being used in the video conference.

I huff, going back to my chair at the front between the Budget Analyst and the Manager of Public Affairs. Two men that I wasn't particularly fond of.

"Looks like a kid tried his hand at physics and thermodynamics." My boss says, earning a look from me. "Except, you know... yeah"

He examines the charts behind him one more time before opening his mouth, "Gentlemen," he looks at me," and lady. Let me introduce myself. My name is Elon Musk, CEO of Space X and more companies and also the man that you want to impress. Let's not start conflict." he sighs." From what I am observing and analyzing... A 165,000 pounds rocket won't cut it-"