Chapter 4

During his week of recovery, Louis was a very obedient patient and managed to heal up nicely. The only annoyance was that he insisted on addressing her as a lady. That much she could deal with. The problem came after he healed up. It wasn't that he acted spoiled. Far from it as he was surprisingly helpful. However, it was this fact that also caused Shureii a headache.

"Lady Shureii! You mustn't!"

"Lady Shureii! Let me do that for you!"

"Lady Shureii! Your delicate hands!!!"

"Lady Shureii!!!!"

Shureii let out an exasperated sigh as she watched Louis carry the pieces of wood he chopped up into the storage room. She, on the other hand, was stuck with sorting out the herbs that she picked from her garden--a feat barely possible under Louis' hawk-eye watch. She had only managed to convince him by saying she knew more about plants than he did and would thus have to hand pick them herself.

Somehow during his short stay, the young lad (yes despite his physique he was only 14) had gotten attached to her and refused to let her do anything that he deemed dangerous. While her original plan was to tell him off for his excessive behavior, she quickly realized that she could not do so.

Flashback

"Louis! As much as I am grateful for your concern, it really is not--"

She paused seeing the crestfallen look on the lad's face. Blinking, she swore she saw a drooping tail and lowered dog ears. Biting her lip, she sighed inwardly.

I think I now understand what people mean by the phrase of kicking an injured puppy...

"...not something I feel I should be troubling you with but if you don't mind I am very much happy to continue to receive your assistance..." She finished lamely, faltering ever so slightly on the last word.

To her surprise Louis's mood did an entire 180 and he grinned brightly.

"Of course it is not troubling at all! I will help you for as long as I live!" With that he rushed off to continue fishing.

What else could she do but sigh?

End Flashback

Thinking back on that memory, she sighed to herself. I pretty much brought this situation upon myself didn't I? Still, looking at the eager lad she could not say that she was entirely unhappy. For as long as I live huh? She smiled. That's kinda cute.

Hearing the soup boil, Shureii cleared the remaining herbs and called out to Louis.

"Come inside! Dinner's ready!"
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
After they had eaten, Shureii did her nightly checkup on his wound.

"Looks like it's all healed!" Unwrapping the bandages and replacing them with new ones, Shureii added, "It would've healed faster if you were not exerting yourself..."

Seeing the chastised look on his face, Shureii smiled. "But it all ended well and I got lots of help from you too."

To her surprise the tips of his ears turned pink as he muttered something incoherent saying something along the lines of "Your Welcome."

Pfft....He's sooooooo cute! She was snapped out of her thoughts when he suddenly turned to face her with a serious expression.