Chapter 81 (H.E.)

"Shureii..."

Shureii opened her eyes and found herself in a beautiful meadow full of resplendent flowers.

Who called me?

Feeling a tap on her shoulder, she saw the villainess. She had black hair and black eyes--the same appearance that Shureii had without the appearance-altering potion.

"You're..."

Her mirror image smiled before curtsying gracefully in a way only high nobles could.

"My name is Rosalie, the one you know better as the villainess. I am sorry for all the troubles I have caused you."

Shureii's eyes softened. Reaching out, she took the girls hands into her own.

"It wasn't your fault."

The girl raised her eyes to look at her in momentary surprise before realization dawned in her.

"You too could see my memories."

"Yes. Also, the letter you wrote to me confirmed my thoughts. You were under the heroine's, no, Claire's curse."

Tears welled up in the other girl's eyes. She covered her face with her hands.

"Finally...finally someone understood..."

When she had calmed down enough, the two of them proceeded to then talk about their lives. Rosalie was especially excited to hear about Shureii's former life and the alternate world. However even in the moments she was happy, the sadness in her eyes never left. Shureii found herself wishing she had gotten know the girl personally at a different setting. She really was sweet and kind.

Shureii was in the middle of talking when she felt something fall on her. When she lifted whatever fell on her head, she was surprised to see a small sparkling object just before it crumbled in her hands.

"Rosalie--"

"It is time."

Shureii jerked her head up. To her horror, she saw that it wasn't just the sky that was disappearing. An ethereal glow engulfed Rosalie's body. A sad and resigned smile rested on her lips.

Shureii's eyes widened.

She is going to...

"Shureii..."

Tears were streaming down the other girl's face as her strong facade was crumbled. Shureii was taken by surprise when Rosalie threw her arme around her, sobbing bitterly.

"I wanted to live just once as myself..."

She sobbed into Shureii's chest.

Rosalie...what a wretched life you've lived...Cursed from your birth till today, unable to act on your will, driven by Claire's curse only to die from betrayal and execution...then to be repeated again and again...

Shureii wrapped her arms around her, hugging the girl back.

"I promise. Claire will not get away with this."

Rosalie let out a shuddery sigh.

"Thank you...Thank you, Shureii..."

Then she was gone, disappearing in sparkles as the scenery also disintegrated.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Albrecht watched as Shureii's features changed. Her brown hair transformed into the lush, silky black hair and her face no longer ruddy, but daintily detailed into an elegant beauty. He vaguely recalled something Raphael had taught him.

The third way of removing the appearance-altering potion: death.

His eyes darkened.

So she really is dead...

"Albrecht, what is the meaning of this?"

Without turning to look at his brother, Albrecht let out a bitter laugh.

"Even with this appearance, you don't remember?" He muttered under his breath.

Not quite catching what he said, Vincent narrowed his eyes.

"What did you say?"

Turning his cold eyes onto his brother, Albrecht spoke in an extremely cold manner.

"Perhaps you should ask Princess Claire."

"Claire?"

The tension in the room escalated as the two glared at each other.

The sound of a loud gasp drew the attention of everyone. Albrecht, along with the others turned in shock towards the girl who was declared dead just moments ago. In a flash, he was beside her.

"Shureii!"

The girl coughed a few more times before her breathing came naturally. Opening her eyes slowly, she was met with the anxious looking prince.

"Albrecht..."

His blue eyes widened.

"Y-You're alive."

At this Shureii let out a soft smile. He stared at her in disbelief.

"Impossible..."

Before she could react, Shureii found herself in Albrecht's arms. His breath tickled her neck as he let out a sigh of relief.

"You're really alive...thank god..."

He was that worried?

Feeling sympathetic towards him, Shureii lightly returned his embrace.

I guess he is more emotional than I had thought...

"I knew this was going to happen. That's why I told you to not come."

Drawing back to look at her, he looked into her eyes.

"What do you mean? You were dead...you knew that was going to happen?"

At this, Shureii's eyes saddened, remembering Rosalie.

"Yes. A part of me died..."

"A part...?"

Sensing his confusion, she smiled.

Later. Now is not the time.

Understanding her unspoken request, Albrecht moved aside.

Lifting her eyes, she saw Raphael and Vincent.

Ah...this is kind of bothersome if they saw me die as well...Albrecht, your gentlemanliness, while appreciated, may have created another issue.

Sensing no agonizing pain of love when she saw the two, Shureii was reminded of the fact that she was no longer connected to the villainess.

Of course, because in the original otome game, she died at midnight...

She made her resolve.

It is time.

"I am Shureii. We have met long before, but you have no memory of me."

Rosalie, I will keep my promise. Claire will be brought to justice.