Chapter 34

Vincent had seen through the reason why Shureii had passed the question over to him and found her not-so-easily noticeable annoyance adorable. However, his eyes took on a serious look when he pondered on the more serious reason.

Shureii was smart. That was an established fact despite all her humbleness and quiet nature. She knew the hidden meaning and danger behind the question. What she did was wise. She did not know what the relationship the Avamaeborg Earl had with the Veldhuizen Kingdom and left the decision to him. The problem was, he too was not entirely sure of what the Earl was thinking.

"Earl Koenrad, if it is a talented healer you wish to have, as was requested as part of the requirements for the treaty, there are many from whom you may choose from. As of currently, Lady Shureii is not on duty as she wished to rest and spend time with her child."

Ho...Shureii looked at Vincent with appreciation and a bit of admiration. Seems like I'm not the only one who felt something was off behind his request. Now I know that the Earl is acting as an ambassador for what seems to be a fairly recent and tentative treaty. The way he handled the question also makes it clear if he wants me specifically or just a healer...wait, isn't he a bit too smooth at lying?

"Yes, according to the terms of our treaty, who the healer needed to be was not specified." The Earl acknowledged with a nod. "However, it is my earnest  request to let Lady Shureii be the visiting healer. I believe that having her be the visiting healer would be most effective. I have heard that even in the Veldhuizen Kingdom. Her identity as a female and a mother will make her someone even my people--who have been at a standstill war with Your Majesty'e people--be reluctant to harm. Moreover, I ask specifically for her because of the crown prince."

Crown prince? Could it be...Shureii looked behind her at the child from before. Him?...Are? She was surprised to see that he was already looking at her.

Upon meeting her eyes, his eyes widened before he hastily looked down. Uso...he's shy from just that after practically bowling me over and literally crying out 'mother?' His gradually brightening ears proved her right. Uwah...hontoni kawaii~

Eh? Shureii opened her eyes from the closed eye smile she had from marveling at the cuteness of the boy whom she assumed to be Eugene. Tugging at her skirt was a very pouty-looking Yuki who practically demanded her attention to be solely on him.

Kyaa! Yuki, you're so adorable too!! Despite her inner fangirling, Shureii merely placed a hand on Yuki's head, rubbing it affectionately. Her kawaii-shota senses were tingling when she looked up and saw a very sad looking Eugene who was now staring longingly at her.

Ara, ara...what to do...he is a foreign crown prince...Shureii bit her lip, looking at the (purring) form of Yuki and the lonely, unhappy prince who now looked to be on the verge of tears. Happy Yuki. Sad prince. Happy Yuki. Sad prince. Happy Yuki. Sad--

Gah! I don't care! Shureii cast away all thoughts of propriety as she held out the hand not touching Yuki out ever so slightly. I don't want to see him cry.

It was a barely noticeable gesture, but the crown prince understood. With a bright smile that made his eyes sparkle, he bounded over to her, immediately latching himself onto her.

Upon his impact, Yuki looked up momentarily. Seeing the other boy, he furrowed his eyebrows in displeasure, but remembering Eiji's words from before and the way the boy was so happy, he decided to let him off the hook. In turn, Eugene moved a bit to the side to not take up too much of Yuki's original spot.

Seeing this interaction, Shureii was unable to keep from smiling. Placing a hand on both of the boys' shoulders, she gave them both an affectionate squeeze. They're both so adorable!!

"As expected, you are very beautiful, Lady Shureii."

Ah! Shureii looked up from her inner cooing over the two boys, noticing that the Earl had long finished his explanation to the King and he and the other males were looking at her.

Louis was looking at her and the boys with an expression that seemed all-too-fatherly for her comfort. Eiji held a very contemplative look, rubbing his nonexistent beard as he looked from the two kids up to her. Catching her eyes, he grinned and gave her a wink. The King and the Earl, while having been on tense terms just moments ago now held near identical flirtatiously warm expressions.

E-Eh...A-Ano...Wa-Watashi...Shureii couldn't help the blush that rose on her cheeks. I must have shown such an embarrassing expression...Uwah!! I hope my fangirling wasn't too obvious!!

Coughing lightly, she decided to carry on as normally as possible.

"Sorry, could you repeat what was just said?"

"I said that you are very beautiful, Lady Shureii." The Earl said with a closed eye smile.

Not that! Shureii thought, fighting back another blush at the reminder of her distracted moment.

"Ah, thank you. However I was referring to the trip."

Here the King spoke up.

"Lady Shureii, it seems you have made quite the impression on the Earl. He has even said that he would personally ensure that your visit would be one of the greatest care and protection."

The King paused momentarily, not wanting to add the next part because he knew Shureii would go if only to help others. However, he knew she would hate it more if he did not tell her the full conditions set out for her.

"There has even been the addition of giving you and future Veldhuizen healers access to the Avamaeborg crystals."

Sure enough, Shureii's eyes took on a serious look. That was a high offer, too good to pass off. Wait...there was a high chance that the Avamaeborg Kingdom could have some--!

Her eyes met briefly with Eiji's who gave her an affirmative. Looking down at Yuki, she made her choice.

"I will go."

I will do anything for my little Yuki.