Chapter 20

"Forgive us, Your Majesty!" Came the united cry of the soldiers as they all simultaneously knelt down.

"Another failure..." Vincent's tone was neutral, but the disappointment was evident. His eyes darkened, but his voice remained the same. "You may leave."

"Yes, Your Majesty."

Once the large doors of the throne room closed, there was silence again.

"Raphael, how was it on your end."

Raphael shook his head.

"The ambassador and his people had nothing to do with this incident."

"Not them either, huh..."

It was said in his usual calm voice. However, the clenching of his hand and hardened look in his eyes told him otherwise. Vincent was angry. Extremely angry. And this time, Raphael did nothing to quell his anger as his own eyes flashed with suppressed anger.

When Vincent spoke again, his voice was no longer neutral.

"We will find them and they will be punished." He growled.
____________________________________

Meanwhile, at the Aguillard residence, a certain blond was pacing furiously across a room full of reports and maps dotted with red marks.

Who was it?! Who was it that would dare to harm Shureii?!

FLASHBACK

Louis had just returned from his diplomatic trip and had gone to report his success to the palace when he heard the news that Shureii had been missing for nearly 2 weeks even with the royal guards searching for her. Of course he immediately set up his own search party, determined to find her. However what little clues they found made his heart sink lower. After following the scattered, rotting pieces of leftover sandwiches and snacks, they came to a sudden stop at a steep cliff where a bloodied shawl was caught between the roots of dead tree.

The shawl was similar to the one that his stepmother--in her small way of attempting to make amends to her now very successful stepson--decided to gift Shureii with. Even as his heart willed for it to not be true, when he took the shawl, he knew that it was the same Still he held on to the belief that she was still alive...until he received certain news.

The Elsker stone and the Headdress had been seen at the marketplace. Upon further investigation, it was discovered that the two items had been found floating down the river...the same river the cliff had been situated above. As the search continued, her bag and the rest of its contents were found as well.

END FLASHBACK

"Dammit!" Louis slammed his fist on the wooden table, violently rocking everything on it. Falling heavily on a bench, he brought his hands to his face.

Shureii...! Shureii...! You can't be dead! You just can't be!

However, as much as he wanted to believe she was alive, the continued absence and the ominous clues crushed his hopes day by day.

Please...please...Shureii...
__________________________________
Meanwhile, the girl in question was completely oblivious to how much time had gone by and the frantic search for her. (*Shureii had dropped the sandwiches and snacks while being unconscious and her bag (with the stone and headdress) were left behind when she was automatically teleported away from the dissolving dimension. The blood on the shawl was not hers, but the dragon's who had gotten hurt by the ring when she first grabbed Shureii.*)

Extra Info:
The dimension was located above the river of the waterfall which was connected to all other waters. When Shureii forgot to grab her bag while the dimension was dissolving, would've fallen into river. The cave is there but the gems (which belong to the dragon) aren't anymore.
End Extra Info

Having regained her lost memories and even received the addition of a portion of the dragon's memories, Shureii no longer felt as though she was missing something. However, what she gained hurt her.

For a long time, Shureii could do nothing but sit in a frozen state, contemplating the newfound knowledge she had. Her past memories were bittersweet and though she knew there were still parts that were not fully recovered, she had regained enough to remember most of her previous life.

The knowledge Ecahalt gave her was what affected her the most. While she had felt regretful and sorrowful of the loss of the great creatures such as Ecahalt, what concerned her more was the knowledge that this world was some kind of parallel world in a different universe, not a simple otome game. There was something dark in the world that had something to do with her. What it was exactly was unknown, however this knowledge added pressure to her.

It took a while for her to adjust, but eventually she did. Shureii slowly got up from her curled up position.

Ehacatl...

Her hand clenched around the crystal pendant, which she knew from her newly gained knowledge, granted her access to all the treasures the dragon had amassed over the years. It had been given to her by the dragon's final words and Shureii was determined to use the crystal in a manner Ehacatl would wish for.

Raising her head to the sky where the clouds floated lazily about, Shureii was reminded of her brief, but meaningful interaction with the dragon. Ehacatl.

...thank you...

Looking up at the North Star, Shureii's eyes saddened briefly before hardening.

"Forgive me, Your Majesty. I cannot keep our contract..."

As she turned in the opposite direction of the Veldhuizen kingdom, she bid the others farewell.

Farewell...You have all been good to me, but I hope that we never meet again...She fingered her now magic-less ring. ...For your own good...and mine.
___________________________________

*Short update, but this is the right place to cut it off, trust me. Stay in tune for the next part of Shureii's life!* ^^