Chapter 25

"Ah..."

Shureii let out a nervous laugh, leaning back in her kneeling position.

"Excuse me, but haven't we just met? I think you got the wrong person."

She tried tugging her hands away from him. However, his grip was firm and she found that her hands were solidly trapped. Not to mention, he smoothly and oh so naturally followed her movements, never taking his gaze off of her.

Why do I feel as though I've experienced this before not so long ago?

Shureii thought to herself as she continued the futile effort to release her hands. (Her brain was still not fully functioning after receiving the unexpected proposal). <Kudos to those who can tell what she is referencing to!!>

"No, I am not wrong."

Hai?

He leaned in closer to her.

"I was not mistaken at all...you..." His eyes took on a tender look full of love and...yearning (?). "You are the one I've been looking for..." He moved in even closer. "...for so long."

Nani?...Ah! Don't do the ikemen eye attack! Uwah! Stop! You're too close! Too close!! Uwahhh!!!!

Shureii was having a full blown panic attack as he was practically leaning over her fallen form. 98% was because she was so flustered at the close proximity of someone who was looking so intently at her half-lying on her. The remaining 2% was because she legit feared being crushed by someone whose body was obviously very fit--meaning he would be heavy if he fell on her.

Shutting her eyes closed, she started an inner chant in her head.

What do I do?! What do I do?! What do I do?! What do I do?!

"A-Ano--!"

Unthinkingly, Shureii stammered out in Japanese.

Baka! Are you really that flustered? You're speaking Japanese! He wouldn't--?

Shureii's slowly opened her eyes, only to have them widen at what she saw. Yuki had managed to squeeze in between Shureii and the stranger, staring defiantly up at him and now stood protectively in front of her with his arms outstretched.

"Don't bother my mama!"

"Yuki..."

Shureii was surprised to see him continue to glare at the stranger, his form unwavering. Was this the same child who had refused to let go of her yesterday?

It seemed she wasn't the only one surprised as the stranger stared down at Yuki with disbelief written all over his face.

"You're..."

Whatever he was about to say was interrupted by the sound of the tent flapping open. The Chief stood looking at the three of them: Shureii half lying on the ground, the stranger above her, and Yuki in the middle, standing. To his credit, he did nothing more than silently look, registering what was before him calmly.

"So you did not leave yet."

"Ah...no..."

Shureii said, grateful for his calm demeanor, but wishing he had addressed the stranger first, preferably telling him to get off of her.

The Chief nodded, then turned his eyes on the stranger.

"Eiji."