Chapter 60 (T.E)

2 weeks later...
"Shureii!"

Blinking in mild surprise at the loud entrance of the marquis as opposed to his usually more subtle and elegant style, Shureii looked up from her reading.

"Marquis Adeln what—"

She didn't have time to complete her question before she was lifted princess-style by the said man.

"Come with me. We have somewhere to go."

"Wait! Not like this!"

As expected, her struggles were futile and her comment brushed aside by his soft chuckle.

Mou! What is with this marquis?!

Shureii thought, covering her face in mortification as the long strides of the marquis took them past several servants who paused to openly gape at the unusual sight before seeming to remember that it was the most dangerous marquis they were staring at and retracting their gazes.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
"Marquis, please wa—"

"Let's go here."

"Woah!"

"Marquis Adeln, I insis—mmph?"

"Tasty isn't it? The pastries here are good."

"Mmnph. Mmnph!"

"Yes, yes. We will go to the jewelry section."

"Mmnph—*swallows* That wasn't what I—!"

"Doesn't this look nice?"

"Well yes? But—"

"Okay. Please give me this one and this one."

"Wait! You shouldn't—"

"Okay the next place will be..."
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
By the time evening approached, Shureii had all but given up on convincing the marquis to stop whatever it was he was doing and was helplessly dragged along by him to various locations in the market. Of course that whole time she had been under the strict, personal surveillance of the marquis who had even gone as far as to purchase a cloak with a hood to hide her features.

Which brought them to the current situation with her sitting in front of the marquis on his horse, him having sent all the gifts and little trinkets from their little trip ahead of them to his residence.

Seriously what has gotten into the marquis? Isn't he being too impulsive? What is he think—

She was taken out of her thoughts when she felt him suddenly stop his horse.

"Feeling better?"

Surprised at his question, Shureii twisted her body to look at him inquisitively. Meeting her eyes, a gentle smile spread across his face.

"I love you."

Her eyes widened as a instinctive blush lit her cheeks from his sudden (very sudden) confession and the tender look in his eyes. She had somewhat guessed his feelings towards her, but she had not expected him to suddenly thrust out those words in such an abrupt way.

Seriously! That was so sudden!

Her reaction did not go unnoticed by the marquis, whose heart was pleased to see that he had managed to have an effect on the person of his interest. However his mind was fixated on some other objective.

Kindly not teasing her about her reaction, he continued.

"I know you do not hold the same feelings towards me and that you are resentful towards me about my actions, which I admit were very ungentlemanly. You are unhappy here and I understand that, but I cannot do as you wish and let you go."

Hearing his words reminded her of her current separation with Yuki and the forceful way she had been taken.

"I thought so."

Having recovered from her initial surprise, Shureii's expression darkened as she turned to face the front again.

She felt his arms tighten around her. When she tried to shrug him off, he wouldn't relent and knowing that it was impossible to get free from him without falling off the horse or hurting herself, Shureii settled for coldly turning her head away from him.

"Please give me a chance. I know you are still upset with me, but I promise you that I will make you happy. I will give you everything and anything. You will always be first in my heart and no one else."

Everything and anything?

Shureii couldn't help but let out a wry smile at the statement.

"What if what I want is freedom?"

Hearing this, the marquis stiffened before tightening his hold again.

"You know I can't give you that."

"But that is all I want."

She raised her eyes to the sky.

It had been for the sake of not being caught in the otome game that she had left the Veldhuizen kingdom and it had been for the sake of not wanting to be caught in society and power that she had remained hidden. Was her fate sealed to be shackled to something? What did this world want from her? Why was she reincarnated? She still didn't know the answers to this day.

The marquis had sensed that her mind had wandered off to someplace where he couldn't reach and felt the inexplicable feeling of loss and panic he felt whenever he was around her.

His initial interest had not dimmed at all, but had rather increased the more he found out about her. She was like a never-ending mystery that only seemed to darken the more one got close to her.

He, himself, did not know when his interest had turned into something different...something that made him weak against her...something that made him unable to let go of her.

"Shureii..." He lowered his head to lean on her shoulder. "I love you."

This time she didn't blush. Closing her eyes she sat still, contemplating her thoughts. Thus it was in silence that the rest of the journey was made.