Takao POV (Part 2)

"Takao! Takao!"

I watched from behind the shadows of the trees as the little girl--Shureii--searched behind a large rock. We were currently playing hide-and-seek (courtesy of the indignant Shureii who had been so horrified I didn't know of the game.)

It was nearing two years since we met for the first time. By now, Shureii was 7 years old. I had long lost track of how old I was in my world's time, but in human years, I probably would still be around my teens.

I was jerked out of my thoughts when I felt a piercing pain cut through me. Unable to keep my footing, I fell to the ground.

Hearing the sound, Shureii came running. Quickly schooling my expression, I smiled sheepishly up at her, masking the after effects of the pain.

"Oops."

"I found you!" She cried happily.

"Yes, you did."

Giggling, she sat down next to me.

"Even Ryou and Ichinose were not as easy to find."

"Is that so? I guess I'm just bad at this game."

Ichinose and Ryou...her human friends.

I watched as she talked animatedly about the hide-and-seek rounds she had played with them.

It is good that she finally has friends. Being so intelligent would have made it hard for her to make friends her age...

Feeling the stabbing pain again, I clenched my fist, drawing blood--using the pain to keep myself conscious in this world. Miraculously, by sheer will power I managed to keep her company until our usual time.

Seeing the first signs of her tiring, I let her lean against me.

Ah...this is the tree we met at for the first time..

I noted, as a nostalgic smile spread across my face.

It's been two years huh...

"Takao?"

Coming out of my thoughts, I looked down at the tired girl rubbing her eyes as she looked up at me.

"Are you ok?"

"I just remembered that this was the first place where we met."

Blinking tiredly, she looked around her.

"Ah...that is...true..." Her words were slurred as sleepiness overtook her.

Chuckling at her antics, I watched as she snuggled closer.

"Good night...Takao." With that, she was fast asleep.

Watching her mouth open and close slightly from the small puffs of air she let out, I smiled.

She still reminds me of a little kitten...and how many times do I need to tell you, it is "good morning"...

Her body started to glow with the faint light that always took her back to her reality. In a split second, I made a decision.