Chapter 28

Forgive me Eiji. Shureii thought as she gave Yuki another sandwich. I know you wanted me to tell you when we left, but...

Yuki had just asked, in a very tsundere manner why he couldn't say good-bye to Eiji, not because he liked him or anything, ("of course not") but because he didn't want him to think he was leaving like coward. Shureii had smiled and told Yuki that they would have if they had the time. Then she distracted him by giving him food.

Somehow...She wryly thought as she watched him gobble up her food. I can understand why I was given sweets every time I asked an awkward question. It is rather effective.

As much as she wanted to avoid the Veldhuizen kingdom, she knew she couldn't stay with Eiji's tribe, especially with a certain festival coming up. Shureii felt a chill run up her body just thinking about it. Ah...don't think about it. Don't think about it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile a certain village was in an uproar.

"Shureii! Shureii!"

"Shureii dear! Where are you?"

"Yuki! Yuki! I have some dried pomegranates!! Come try some with your mother!"

Awoken by the early pre-dawn commotion were the male members of the village. Many of the young men had taken a liking to the small beauty who had always seemed kind and caring to everyone. However, they knew she was claimed (if unofficially) by Eiji whom they all respected and were loyal towards. Thus, they kept their admiration to a minimum, having an unspoken agreement.

However, their mothers, aunts, grandmas, etc. refused to acknowledge such a passive give up. In their eyes, Shureii was a rare gem, not only for her beauty and character, but also for her skills. The reason that the women of that tribe was respected for was not only because they were mothers or potential mothers in the dangerous environment but their headstrong attitudes and strict discipline.

In the two months Shureii stayed, she had gotten glimpses of these traits when older females disciplined their children and even misbehaving adults. She had found it admirable and even amusing at some times at seeing the frailer forms of women scolding large warriors for dirtying the hut floor or forgetting to clean the blood from their weapons.

However, once their favor turned to Shureii, she began to notice that being on the receiving end of their headstrong attitude was kind of...scary(?) intimidating (?). Either way, Shureii found it harder and harder to avoid the subtle hints of them wanting her to marry their sons or nephews.

There was even a day when Shureii had given Yuki a special delicacy to share with his new friends that the women were particularly persistent and followed her all the way over to her house. Along the way, Shureii saw the Chief who had just been coming out of his hut. However, upon meeting her clearly pleading eyes for help and seeing the horde of women behind her, the Chief went right back in. It was then that Shureii understood that in that village, not even the Chief had control over the women.

Despite her struggle with her popularity, Shurei thought it was bearable. Then came that festival. In short, it was a day when the women had official free reign over the village and could tyrannize everyone...just kidding. It was quite simply a matchmaking day where nagging females pushed their daughter or sons to whomever they wanted them to get married to.

Yep. That's right. Shureii's reason for escaping so secretly was none other than to avoid the matchmaking. Well, I was planning on leaving and Yuki did ask if he could see my house and...Dark lines appeared in the background as Shureii faced the truth. I'm sorry, Eiji. In all honesty, I left so unexpectedly because those women are, quite bluntly, scary.

Meanwhile Eiji watched the commotion in his village from his high perch in the tall tree that marked the entrance to the village. His friends and older male members were attempting to calm their female relatives who were frantically looking for any signs of Shureii and her son.

Hmm...looks like you caught onto their antics. He thought with a slight lift on his lips. Now, where would you go, if not for your old home? Remembering how the Deep Forests were magiked, he jumped down from the tree, only to meet with his father's stern gaze.

"Father."

The Chief just looked at him, then shifting his eyes ever so slightly to the village behind him, he stepped to the side.

"I will be waiting."

Grinning inwardly, Eiji gave the customary bow before sprinting off.

"Shunchi!"

The Chief barely kept from flinching when he heard his wife's polite, full-of-suppressed-anger voice.

Run, Eiji. For your sake and mine. If you do not make Shureii your wife...

"Shunchi!"

This time he did flinch. It was small, but still a flinch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Okay, Yuki. You ready to go?"

"Mm!" Yuki said, nodding enthusiastically, having rinsed his hands in a nearby stream.

"What about me?"

"Uwah!"

Shureii fell backwards when she saw the familiar face of Eiji upside-down right in front of her.

He moved swiftly, catching her just before she fell.

"I thought we agreed on you telling me when you would leave."

Ah...staring into his golden eyes and teasing grin, Shureii couldn't help but feel slightly guilty.

"Sorry."

"It's okay."

Shureii felt her face warm up. She could tell from his eyes that he knew exactly why she had left so secretly. Turning her head away from him, she changed the topic.

"Put me down. I will give you something to eat."

He decided not to tease her too much and did as she said. However, as she gave him food, she felt his grin.

How embarrassing...