Chapter 78 (H.E.)

Louis kept popping up occasionally since that day and while his actions remained flirtatiously the same, his eyes seemed to be constantly on her.

Ordinarily I would've preferred to act like a simpleton and just go "kyaa kyaa!" like all the other girls, but my acting skills are not great enough to conceal the feelings of the villainess...even the more subservient, professional mode is hard to maintain...

"Emma, are you okay? Do you want to rest for a bit?"

Guren had seen the troubled look that had briefly come across her face and was worried about her. While most people enjoyed getting the attention of a wealthy and handsome lord like Lord Louis, he had noticed that after every visit, Emma looked tired and drained.

Smiling up at him, she shook her head.

"I am fine. Thank you, Guren."

You are not...

Despite knowing so, he nodded and handed her a herbal snack.

"Eat it. You will feel more energized."

Smiling again, she thanked him. Watching her eat the snack as she resumed her work, Guren noticed the light scars on her hands. Not wanting to distract her from her work, he turned away, but the image of the scars remained in his mind.

She is only two years older than me and yet she seems to have gone through so much....Not just the bullying, but there seems to be more to her life than she lets on...

Ever since he had gotten help from her, Guren had gotten to know her better. From what he could see, she was indeed nothing like the rumors made her out to be. Skilled, humble, and kind, she was someone he found himself beginning to trust and care about.

Unlike many of the ladies and girls he had come in contact with, she showed no signs of romantic inclination towards him and helped him almost like a mother would. For that he was grateful and sought to return the favor in any way he could.

However, just the like first time he had personally gotten to see her, her eyes held a deep burden that he could not understand. Even if he wanted to help, he knew that she would not say anything. That it was something he could and should not delve into.

Picking up one of the potions, he too got to work.

Lord Louis' actions are not highly unusual considering his reputation. However Emma's reaction and his steadfast fixation is slightly odd...Master Raphael is aware of this situation, but he told me not to worry...

Casting one more look at Shureii/Emma, Guren felt torn about wanting to do something, but not sure as to what he could do and what the problem was.

What is going on? There is something different about Emma, but what is it?
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Meanwhile another person was troubled by his thoughts.

Emma...

Louis looked up at the sky, thoughts of the girl he was keeping watch over swirling around his mind.

When he had first received the command from the king, he had been upset to hear of the state the princess was in. Thus it was with an angry and vengeful heart he plastered a fake smile to go and woo the girl that was in question.

However when her eyes lifted to meet with his, he felt his heart ache. In those eyes was the mystery tinted with sadness that had shocked him the first time they had met.

Of course he didn't let the emotion show and treated her with utmost care as a gentleman, hoping to get some information out of her. However all he got were contradictions of his own expectations. She was neither flirtatious or pretentious. Her eyes were always averted and she spoke respectfully throughout their whole interaction. Then when she was about to leave, he had tried to keep her with him longer, but she had refused.

There is something she is hiding, but is it really related to the princess? It seems like something too personal to ask about...moreover...something feels off about this whole situation...Is she really the one harassing the princess?
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
"Princess! Princess! I have found it!"

Claire turned to her eager maid.

"What did you find?"

Eagerly, the maid brought out something from her skirts.

"This was found in Miss Emma's possession!"

Taking the exquisite headdress, the Princess smiled.

"How beautiful...oh, and it is made of jewels only accessible to royalties...perfect..."

Now things can get into action...

"Good job, Hollie. You will be rewarded greatly."

"You are too kind, Princess. I am just doing my job! Anyone who hurts the princess is evil!" [*this maid is from the original country of the princess and is utterly brainwashed]

Stupid fool. After your role is over, I will kill you.

On the outside, however, she smiled and praised the maid.

Now Emma...let's have some fun together...
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ