Chapter 14

Louis...

Having experienced several shocking events, Shureii was quick to recover from this one. Now, looking up at the handsome face looking so tenderly down at her, she was filled with conflicted thoughts.

Although that action is something that I know isn't purely romantic as the prince also did it to me...that look in his eyes...I had thought to ignore it, but somehow...

Just as she was about to speak, a knock on the door caught their attention.

"Excuse me." With that he walked toward the door.

Seeing him talking with someone just outside the door, Shureii's eyes took on a worried look.

Sorry Louis...but please...please...don't go any further than that. I'm not someone who you should love...

She wasn't fully able to pinpoint what it was that made her feel so uncomfortable lately, but she had strong suspicions that there was something deeper in the reason why she was put into this world. Something that involved the people she had met so far.

"Shureii! I have something to show you!" Louis said, his eyes brimming with excitement.

Letting out a smile, she walked towards him. Grabbing her hand in a manner that was borderline childish yet somewhat gentlemanly, he led her through the corridors. Had he looked closer though, behind her smile he would have seen a darker emotion.
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Amazing...Shureii thought gazing at the beautiful array of flowers in the meadow before her.

"It is not exactly like the one at your place, but I tried to find as many of the same types of flowers as those at your place..."

"Louis...you did this for me?" Shureii asked, stunned. She both knew and dreaded his answer, but still clung to the last bit of hope that it wasn't as he had implied.

"Yes." Looking at the meadow, he continued. "Ever since I came back, I was hoping to bring you here and to show you the same hospitality you had shown me."

Turning to look at her: "Actually it was also for my sake. When you helped me with my panic attacks and gave me a cure for them, I was unburdened with a lot of the worries that restrained me. With those gone, I was able to push myself to the fullest. Seeing this meadow encouraged me as it reminded me of you. Although you had told me there was no need for gratitude, I wished to repay you. However in order to do that and in order to see you again, I wanted to make myself the best I could be."

Taking her hand in both of his much larger ones, he looked at her directly in the eyes.

"In fact, me becoming an Elite so soon is all thanks to you." His hands wrapped more tightly around hers.

"I was so happy to see you at the ball and even more so when I heard that you were going to reside at my place for a year."

Using one of his hands, he picked up another flower and added it to the one already behind her ear. "Now that you're here, perhaps this meadow could serve its purpose and offer you comfort whenever you miss your cottage."

"Louis...this is amazing and I am truly grateful. It was really considerate of you."

"To be honest, I actually wanted to give you more..."

Seeing her eyes widen in protest, he chuckled. "But because I knew you would not like such things, I settled for a meadow. Hopefully that is acceptable."

Realizing that he had been teasing her, Shureii fought the urge to pout, opting for a wry smile.

"It is. Thank you."

Giving her another smile, he stepped away, guiding her gently with one hand.

"Please allow me the pleasure of giving you a tour."

With a nod, she allowed him to lead her deeper in the meadow. One day won't hurt...only for today will I let this happen. Taking a fugitive look up at Louis as he was busy explaining different areas of the meadow, she let out an inner sigh. After all, this is his way of showing his gratitude...
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ

Luckily for Shureii, her wish to estrange herself from Louis was helped by the fact that as the newly appointed Elite, he was kept busy with training with other Elites. She herself was busy, moving from different sections of the palace healer wards. Using her knowledge as the prodigious intern surgeon in her past life (kept from being a surgeon primarily because of her age) she taught lectures and demonstrated how to treat severe wounds such as the one that Louis had suffered from.

While many of the head healers, though not openly hostile towards her, knowing the story with Louis and the fact that the King himself had personally appointed her, had originally been slightly skeptical that someone who looked so young could be so skilled. Thus the first few weeks were filled with healers purposely throwing out difficult questions and even challenging her (though not too rudely for fear of incurring the wrath of an Elite and the Royal siblings).

However once they personally saw how calmly and confidently she taught her lectures and the way she executed surgeries efficiently, they were awed by her. It was her perpetual patience and kindness while simultaneously being strict when needed that won them over. Within the first three months, Shureii had gained the respect and honor her position represented.