Chapter 58 (T.E)

Heterochromatic eyes shot open.

Mother!

Yuki got up quickly, feeling the remaining slight fuzziness from the herbs being flushed away by his inhumane immune system. He was still in the forest and judging by the darkness of the sky, it had been around two hours and a half since he fell unconscious.

Closing his eyes, he took in a deep breath, allowing his body to partially transform. His teeth and nails grew sharper as the faint outline of his tails could be seen in the moonlight.

Where are you?

But try as he might, it was too long since she had been taken away and he couldn't find a trail. Still he didn't give up searching for her, not even noticing how the night turned into morning. All he cared about was finding her.

It wasn't until he heard the sound of the rooster that he paused. Remembering Shureii's warnings, he quickly returned to his human form. No matter how much he wanted to continue chasing after her, he knew better than to be foolish. From what he had seen, she would not be in immediate danger.

I should head back and gather more information instead of just chasing after her blindly. After all...

His eyes hardened.

They were no amateurs.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The first thing Yuki noticed when he arrived at the town square was the group of knights on horses.

"Ah, Yuki!" One of his friends greeted, drawing his attention.

"James, are they from the palace?"

"Yeah. Apparently the palace got word of the missing people and sent out knights to each town and village. They even managed to recover most of the lost girls! I guess the imperial knights really are at a different level..."

When he noticed Yuki was not responding, he switched topics.

"Speaking of, where did you go? You left so quickly. Were you that tired?" He teased, but contrary to the witty remark he usually got, Yuki did not loosen up his expression.

"Yuki?"

"Sorry, James." Yuki said, brushing by his friend, his eyes focused on the knights.

"Hey, Yuki! Where are you going?"

Ignoring him, Yuki pressed through the crowd until he was in front of the knights.

"Excuse me, did you happen to see two men with cloaks and horses last night?"

Hearing his question, the knights turned their attention to him.

The squad's leader took an immediate interest in him. His way of speaking and holding himself was not like a peasant's. He had approached them with no sign of intimidation or fear, but also maintained proper respect. What was more, his body and stance were that of a fighter. However what caught his interest was the steadfast look in his eyes.

"No. Is there a reason why you specified such a description?"

Ordinarily knights, especially one as highly ranked as he, could easily dismiss the words of a mere peasant, and a youth at that, but he decided to humor him. He was not expecting much as they had confirmed that nothing unusual happened except for the fire that seemed to have started from a misplaced torch. He did not expect the answer he was given.