Chapter 67 (H.E.)

"This is your true appearance?" He asked with a hint of disbelief in his voice, though it might as well have been a rhetorical question with the proof right before him.

"Yes, my lord..." She answered, knowing it would be pointless to lie.

"Unbelievable..."

How could there be someone with such features? It is completely unheard of...not since--

The sudden knock on the door Shureii was trapped against drew their attention.

"Lord Raphael~I heard there was a girl that caught your eye~"

Looking down at Shureii, Raphael's eyes narrowed before taking hold of her wrist and puling her behind him.

"Ah~so you opened the door for me. How ni--oh? And whose this girl behind..."

Louis' playful voice trailed off when he saw Shureii's features.

"Black hair...black eyes..."

"Louis."

Hearing Raphael's voice, Louis turned his attention to the older man.

"For now, don't tell anyone else what you have seen today. When the time comes, I will personally tell the King myself. Before that, I need to confirm something."

Louis held Raphael's gaze a bit longer before nodding.

"Very well. I assume you let me enter so that one other person would have knowledge of this girl in case anything happens?" He said, cold professionalism in his eyes and voice.

"Yes."

Turning away, Louis cast one last look at Shureii before leaving the room.

There is no mistake about it. The coloration is different, but that girl is the maid from before...

Once Louis left, Shureii found herself being drilled by Raphael's sharp eyes.

"Sit down." He said, pulling out a chair for her despite his cold eyes.

"Thank you." She said out of habit.

Taking a seat across from her, he cast a quick scan over her. Having recovered from most of his surprise upon seeing one of the Lost People, he could objectively view her as he questioned her.

Calm, collected, and eloquent. She is just as one would expect of one of the Lost People. Her knowledge in medicine is also extensive--even more so than I had expected. The way she answers all of my questions without changing her tone or pausing all leads to the conclusion that she is honest and not hiding anything...However...it could also mean she is a superb actress.

"As a regular maid, there is nothing wrong with your answers and reasons. Also, as one of the Lost People it makes sense as to why you would want to disguise yourself. However, the fact that you had used my appearance-altering potion without my knowledge is worrying. Tell me. How did you gain access to my potion? Or rather...how did you know of it in the first place?"

Shureii knew that this question would come out, but that didn't mean she had an answer that she could give him. Raising her head, she lifted the eyes that she had averted this whole time.

"I cannot give you an answer."

Raphael was surprised. He had noticed her hesitance and knew that this question was one she was not comfortable with. However he did not expect her answer. To blatantly say she could not give him an answer immediately cast suspicion on her...However, this risky honesty made her not suspicious at the same time. Moreover, the way she looked at him directly without a hint of dishonesty in her eyes...

...Somehow, I cannot condemn her. All evidence points to her being the one Princess Claire has been afraid of and warned us about...It was good I decided to check her myself before sending her to the King...

Shureii waited for his response, preparing herself for the worst when he rose.

"You may leave."

She blinked up at him, surprised at the loss of tension. Getting up, she watched as he rummaged through the cabinets.

"Here. Take this. I do not trust you, but you have shown commendable conduct as a maid and have great knowledge that should not be put to waste. Starting tomorrow, you will be my apprentice."

Shureii looked down at the vial he gave her. For the first time the happy feeling of the villainess matched the warmth she felt.

Drinking the appearance altering potion, she returned the vial to him.

"Thank you."

He nodded and went back to his seat.

"Go get some rest. I will write to Madam Sara concerning your transfer."

Shureii had reached the door when he spoke again.

"Oh, and Miss Emma?"

She paused.

"Do not misunderstand. This is to keep closer surveillance one you. I am sure we both know the meaning of that."

Indeed she did and she felt a pain in her heart when she truly realized the brother-figure she had enjoyed was no longer there.

However...She thought as she lowered her head in a bow. It is to be expected...

"Of course, Lord Raphael."
ㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡㅡ
Needless to say, Albrecht and Yuki were very concerne after hearing the unexpected turn of events. However Shureii decided against running away as they had suggested. She somehow managed to convince them to not take any actions either.

After all...this world will inevitably bring me back...