Chapter 1: A new start

We've passed a countless amount of trees by now, moving away from the city was hard, saying goodbye to all my friends and family was the worst although Shawn thought it would be a good idea to move. Since mom died he's been quite distant and I think he noticed so he decided to leave New York and go to Woodlen city to start over to forget all the memories we have with mom and make new ones, to be honest I don't mind moving it'll probably be best for the both of us.

If you're wondering how she died well she got into a car crash about more then a year ago. The driver of the car that hit her was drunk and the thing is she wasn't supposed to die, the drunk man was.

"Maya?" Shawn says snapping me out of my thoughts, I turn and look at him, "Are you okay?" He asks, "Yeah" "You haven't said a word the whole trip and I am getting a little worried" "I'm fine dad, are you?" "Yeah" he says turning his attention back to the road "How long do we have left?" "We're already here, I'm just trying to find the house" "Oh" I say and turn my attention back to the trees outside my window.

After a few minutes Shawn found the house, he parks the car in front of the garage and we get out. I stand in front of the house and Shawn walks over to me "What do you think kiddo?" he asks putting his arm around my shoulder, "It's perfect" I say looking at him smile. "I'll show you the inside first and then we can get our things." "Okay" I reply and follow him inside the house. As soon as you enter you see the living room and kitchen that was beautifully decorated with some grey and white furniture, further in the house there is a bathroom and Shawn's office, next to the office there's the stairs which leads to mine and Shawn's bedroom and bathrooms. I walk in my room and see only a bed, I sigh and run my fingers through my hair, everything in the house had furniture except Shawn and I's bedroom who only had a bed,"I'll eventually decorate it" I say to myself.

"Maya!" Shawn yells, "Yes" I yell back, "Can you come down please?" I get out of my room and walk down the stairs and see a girl who looked like she was my age and a man standing next to her, probably her father. I walk towards Shawn and stand next to him, "Maya these are our neighbours." Shawn says making me look at them and smile, "This is Riley and her father Cory" "Hi nice to meet you" I say shaking Cory's hand a waving at Riley "You too" they both say, "How old are you Maya?" Cory asks "I'm seventeen" I reply, "So is Riley, she could probably show you around the school tomorrow." He says looking at Riley, "That'd be great" Riley says, "I'll get my things from the car." I say slowly walking away from them, "Can I help?" Riley asks with a big smile, "Sure" I say.

We walk out of the house and towards the car, I open the truck and look for my bag "So Maya what brings you here?" Riley asks making me look at her and quickly turn my attention back to the bags before answering "Mom died and my dad thought it would be a good idea to move so we could start over." I say quickly pulling my bags and suitcase out of the truck avoiding any eye contact with Riley, "Maya I'm sorry I didn't mean t-" "It's fine" I say and before I know it Riley pulls me into a hug, I smile and hug her back. "Thanks" I whisper "Anytime" she whispers back, she lets go and I take a few steps back, "What bags do you want me to take?" Riley asks looking at the car filled with bags and boxes, "You can take these one" I say whilst picking up two bags and handing them to her "Okay" she says and takes my bags whilst I take the others.

After a few trips we finally got all my stuff in my room and Riley is now on my bed watching me unpack and talking about how much she loves Red planet dairy, she saw that I had a poster of it and now she won't stop talking about it. "Anyways as much as I want to continue talking about RPD, are you excited for school tomorrow?" she asks making look at her, "A little." I say making her chuckle, "A little" she repeats "Why?" she then asks, I walk over to her and sit on my bed, "No one like to be the new kid." I say making her smile "Why are you smiling?" I ask looking at her eager to know what she has in mind, "No reason, just that you'll do fine at school, everyone will like you I mean I do." She says making smile, "Thanks and I like you to, you're not bad." I say making her chuckle, "Come here" she says pulling me down for a hug making me laugh.

It felt nice to already have a friend, Riley is different from all my friends back in New York, she's unique.

Once Riley and I were done putting away my clothes which took for ever by the way because Riley kept trying some of them on, we went downstairs to see Shawn and Cory laughing, we look at each other and smile. "Oh there you are Riley." Cory says pointing at Riley, "Well we should get going" he says standing up from the couch making Shawn also stand up, "Thank you for stopping by, you can come whenever you want." Shawn says shaking Cory's hand. "Bye Riley it was nice meeting you" Shawn adds looking at Riley, "Bye Maya." Cory says waving at me making me wave back "Bye". Riley and I hug each other and say our goodbyes.

"Dinner!" Shawn yells. I was putting some fairy lights trying to finish decorating my room but dinner seems more important right now. I walk to the kitchen and sit on the bar stool and see Shawn making Mac n Cheese, he hands me a plate and grabs one for himself before sitting down next to me.

"So that Riley girl." He says taking a sip of his drink,

"She's different, I like her." I say,

"That's good."

"What about you and Cory?"

"He's nice, it feels good to make some new friends." He says making me nod in agreement.

After eating I helped Shawn with the dishes, "Go to bed early, you have school tomorrow." Shawn says whilst I hug him, "I will, goodnight dad" "Goodnight kiddo." I go in my room and lie down on my bed and look at the fairy lights I managed to put in my room "New start" I repeated to myself before slowly falling asleep.

______________
-Mel❤