Love Actually

Christabel

My mother died when I was two. My older sisters took on the role of my mother and took care of me. When I got older, they started to get married and have kids of their own, and eventually started to find suitors for me. Then my father got a proposal from an unnamed man. He said his name was unimportant until he met me. And he gave an offer my family couldn’t refuse.

~

“Chrissa, honey, please come out. We need to fit your dress one more time.” My sister, Samantha called, knocking on my door. I stared at the door, then my window. I have the chance to run away, not even get married. My sisters said they knew what I was going through, the feelings I was having. But they didn’t. They chose their husbands. I didn’t. My father chose mine.

I sighed and stood. I couldn’t do this to my father. He was only doing what was best for me. I walked over to the door and opened it. Samantha and Natalie walked in with my dress and pins in hand. They put the dress on my and started my final fitting. Only two weeks away. I had emotionally shut down months ago. Being married to a man I never met before scared me. They talked to me about how the wedding plans were perfect, how He couldn’t be there, but his proxy would be. I just closed my eyes and nodded, blocking them out for the most part.

~

My wedding day was chaotic, for everyone but me. My sisters dressed me, fussing about every little detail; father was in the kitchen, drinking down his nerves. Flowers were being set up in the backyard, and the groom’s proxy had just arrived. And only minute until my life was over. I stood in front of my mirror, staring at a girl who looked like me but wasn’t me anymore. Father came into my room and wrapped an arm around my waist.

“It’s time, bear.” He whispered and I nodded, squeezing his arm. He walked me out to the backyard and to the proxy groom. The ceremony was short and simple. The groom—my husband—asked that I stay in my wedding dress. He wanted to see what I looked like. My sisters packed my clothes and put them in the car He sent. Father walked me to the car, tears in his eyes. I turned to him and hugged him tight.

“Don’t make me go.” I whispered, not letting him go. He hugged me back, kissing my hair.

“I don’t have a choice, bear.” he whispered. I started crying silently, clinging to my father. He held me tighter, trying to make me stop crying. Eventually my tears slowed to a stop. Father handed me his handkerchief to wipe my cheeks. As I did, he took his suit jacket off and wrapped it around my shoulders. “Keep them bear, so you don’t forget us.” He said softly. I nodded and hugged Father tight before reluctantly sliding into the back seat of the car.

The driver drove me to my new home, not bothering to make conversation. I was numb with fear and I was exhausted. I closed my eyes, wrapping my father’s jacket around me. It smelled like him, and it was still warm. I woke up some hours later on a bed. I sat up and pulled the jacket tighter around me. I found a light and turned it on, noticing an opaque card next to me. I grabbed is and opened it, reading it.

My Dearest Christabel,

If you are reading this, I must tell you that I couldn’t have been happier that you arrived. I wanted you to be fully rested when we met, so I brought you to our bed. If you feel comfortable enough, I would very much like to meet you. I’m across the hall in the room filled with books. I heard you liked to read.

Sincerely,

Your husband

My stomach clenched. I was here, in his house. I slowly stood and walked to the door, resting my hand on the knob. I was going to do this; I was going to meet the man I’m married to. No matter how much it scared me. I opened the door and walked across the hall to the room filled with books. I stood in the door frame, unsure what to do. I saw a man in a chair, his back to me. Is this my husband? I stood up straight and cleared my throat. The man jumped to his feet and turned around. This was no man; he was more like a boy, A very handsome boy, actually, not the at all what I expected.

“Christabel?” he asked, walking a little closer. I sucked in a breath and he stopped.

I nodded, looking at his face. “Who—who are you? I asked in a small voice. He smiled warmly at me.

“I’m Emmett. I suppose you’re wondering where your husband is?” He asked and I nodded, hugging myself. “I’ll take you to him.” He said, stepping closer. “But first, tell me what you expect him to be like.” He added softly.

I swallowed. “I imagine he is old, maybe late thirties, mid-forties. He’s greying quite a bit and smokes and drinks to an excess. He has a mouth of a sailor and only expects me to give him children and be a pretty house wife.” I said quietly. “And I hope he has the decency to give me a friend to keep me company.” I added.  For a moment, I swore I saw a flash of emotion in Emmett’s eyes.

“Might I say you are entirely off on your prediction? Your husband just turned twenty last month, hasn’t had a cigarette or a taste of alcohol in his life. He only swears when he is mad, which isn’t often. He’d never subject you to be his pretty little house wife, he’d rather feed himself to the sharks before he did that. And he’d quite honestly rather wait to have children because he only just met you.” He said sternly. “And he’d always be your company if you are lonely.” He added softly.

My eyes widened and I stared at him. Emmett was my husband, no doubt. I looked at the ring on his finger and it matched mine. A very simple ring it was. I took a step back from him, running a shaky hand through my hair. I turned around and ran back to our room, shutting the door behind me. I just made a fool of myself.

How thick skulled am I? How could I not see that he was dressed in a suit, or that he had been my driver, he had been at the wedding? I was so stupid! I heard the door open and close, but I didn’t care. I wanted to look Emmett in the eye as he snickered at me. I turned around and looked at Emmett. His suit jacket was undone, his hair was a mess. How could he have gotten so unkempt in a matter of minutes?

“Christabel, are you okay?” He asked softly, walking closer to me. I nodded as I looked up at him. He sighed and smiled faintly. “You scared me for a minute.” He said.

I raised an eyebrow. “You aren’t mad at me?” I asked. He laughed and shook his head.

“Not the least! I was terrified of what you thought I was going be like. And I assure you, I am nothing like your fears.” He said softly, touching my cheek. He had to be six feet tall, at least. And I was barely five two. I smiled faintly and he smiled back. “Would you do me the honor of having our wedding dance?” He asked, offering me his hand.

I smiled and took it, stepping close do him. He pulled me closer and rested his other hand on my waist as I rested my other hand on his shoulder. We danced slowly, looking at each other the whole time. Emmett was my husband now; I would learn to love him and everything about him.

I wanted to.