Star-Crossed

Anastasia

Several months passed since Vincent and I kissed. Grandfather amplified the protection on me, which included me never leaving the house unless I was accompanied by Vincent, Uncle Henry, or any of my uncles and Dad. I knew that Victoria and Gwendolyn wanted me and Vincent. They wanted a war, one that would destroy the old and start a new, with me and Vincent in charge.

~

Vincent and I have never really told anyone of our relationship, but Colette knew. She would help us from time to time, making sure we had time alone. It was getting harder since Grandfather had assigned watch guards.

Vincent was waiting for me in my little garden, sitting in the grass. He looked so out of place against the bright colors with his dark shirt and hair. I smiled and walked over to him, lying down and resting my head in his lap. He smiled at me and took my hand, kissing the center of my palm. I pulled him down and kissed his lips softly, sitting up slightly so he didn’t hurt his back. He shifted so he was lying on top of me, kissing me harder. I kissed him back, pulled him close.

We kissed like that for what seemed eons, hands tangled in hair, hands sliding under shirts and into back pockets. I pulled back to catch my breath, again, running my hands over his abs. Vincent breathed heavily into my neck, holding me close. I nuzzled his shoulder, holding him to me. He pulled back slightly to look at my face. His hair hadn’t grown in a while, but it was still slightly long. It fell over his eyes and I smiled, brushing them out of the way. He propped himself up on his elbows, hovering over me.

I scooted out from under him and got to my feet, running away from him. He growled playfully and ran after me. I did this frequently to tease him. I ran faster, letting my hair flow behind me. I could out run him forever, but I slowed down a little so he could catch me. When he didn’t, I stopped and turned around. Vincent was standing there, wide-eyed. I raised an eyebrow at him, walking closer to him.

Vincent immediately shook his head at me, and I stopped. “Vincent, what’s wrong?” I asked, folding my arms over my chest. He swallowed hard, making his Adams apple bob.

“Ana, run.” He said, staring at something behind me.

I turned around and froze in fear. Victoria found me. I stared at her, unable to move. She smirked and walked toward me, her dress flowing behind her. She wrapped her hand around my neck, squeezing it as she lifted me off the ground. Vincent growled and lunged at her, only to be stopped by an invisible force. I gasped and clawed at her hand, trying to break her vice. She only broke her grasp when two figures walked in.

She dropped me on the ground, leaving me sputtering for air. Vincent rushed over to me, putting himself between me and Victoria. He wrapped his arms securely around me as Grandfather and Uncle Henry approached the three of us. Victoria smirked and faced them, not saying a word.

“Victoria,” Grandfather said in a steely voice. “Leave now.”

Victoria smirked at him. “On what grounds must I leave, Edward? This isn’t your home; you have no control over it.” She replied smoothly.

Uncle Henry growled faintly. “But it is mine, Victoria. Leave, or I’ll tear you to pieces. For what you did to Sofiya eighteen years ago and what you will do to my niece.” Uncle threatened.

Her smirk faded and it turned into a glare. “I will have the girl. She will either be the new Queen of the new order or a martyr for the old order. It’s your choice, brothers.” She said before dropping me and stalking off into the woods. Once she was gone, Vincent helped me up, keeping his arms around me as Uncle Nathaniel appeared and checked me over.

“She’s fine. Victoria did no mental damage, and no real physical damage.” He said, kissing my forehead. “Gwendolyn is no longer a threat to us, father.” Grandfather nodded and dismissed him. Uncle Henry and Grandfather moved away from us, talking in secret. Vincent held me closer burying his nose in my hair.

“Ana, I am so sorry.” He whispered into my hair. I wrapped my arms around him and hugged him close, burying my face in his neck. He held me close, not saying another word.

“I love you, Vincent.” I whispered, tightening my arms around him. He pulled back and looked at me, cupping my cheek in his hand. I leaned in and kissed him passionately, not giving him room to tell me I shouldn’t. He kissed me back, not caring that two very overprotective men were watching. He lifted me off the ground, wrapping my legs around his waist. Grandfather cleared his throat and we both pulled back immediately. I smiled and licked my lips as we looked at Grandfather and Uncle Henry. Vincent held me close, whispering in my ear.

“I love you too, Ana, forever and always. I’ll never let Victoria touch you again. I promise.” He whispered in my ear. I looked at him, running my fingers through his hair. Vincent is the love of my life, and I want to protect him. But how can I protect him when he is going to throw himself in front of me so Victoria won’t kill me.

“She’s not safe here, Vincent.” Uncle Henry said, looking at the two of us. Vincent tightened his arms around me as he nodded.

“I know Dad.” He said; no emotion in his voice. I looked at Vincent, searching his eyes for anything.

Grandfather ran a hand through his hair. “Anastasia needs to live with her father’s family.” He said after a few moments.

No way in hell I was doing that.

~

Vincent

I looked at Edward, then Dad. Dad turned to Edward, clearing his throat. “Edward, please, you must think about this. We can keep her safe here. Sofiya, Vincent and I will make sure she stays safe.” Dad said.

Edward shook his head. “Luke knows what she looks like now. He wants her to be his wife.” I stiffened and tightened my arms around Ana, kissing her cheek softly. There was no way in hell I was gonna let them take Ana away from me now.

“Vinney, what are you thinking?” She whispered to me. She looked at me with her big, chocolate eyes, pleading me to fix this. I needed her here, but I needed her safe. Victoria wouldn’t go after me as long as Ana was still here, but she couldn’t have Ana either. I kissed between her eyebrows, holding her close.

“Let Victoria take me instead.” I said, my voice wavering. Ana looked at me, utterly shocked; there was no way she was going to let me do that. She’d rather die that let Victoria have me.

“There is no way in hell you are doing that, Vincent. I will not lose you to her.” She growled in my ear.

I swallowed and looked at her, running my hand through her hair. “Please, Ana. I just want to keep you safe. I love you.” I whispered. She closed her eyes and bit her lip, burying her face in my neck. I held her close, rubbing her back softly. I swallowed and looked at Dad. He looked at me, shaking his head. He knew why I was doing this. If there was the chance I wouldn’t die, he’d be okay with this. But Mom and Ana were the real obstacles. They both loved me to death; it’d be hard for them to let me leave.

I looked at Edward and took a deep breath. I tightened my arms around Ana, kissing her hair. “Edward, please let me do this. If it keeps Ana safe, I’ll do it.” I said, my voice threatening to break. I couldn’t leave Ana, she meant the world to me, but I couldn’t let her die either.

Edward nodded slightly. “I’ll give you time to say good- bye. You leave tomorrow.” He said. Ana pulled back and gaped at him.

“Grandfather, you can’t! She’ll kill him. You can’t do that; the Council will have you removed from power!” Ana shouted, getting out of my arms. Tears were streaming down her cheeks. “I love him, Grandfather. I can’t lose him.” She added, wiping her cheeks, but that didn’t help. I went to wrap my arms around her, but she pushed on my chest.

“No, Vincent. I can’t do this.” She whispered, turning away from everyone and running from the room. I ran after her, ignoring the shouting from Dad and Edward as I followed her.