One Year

We did nine more shows in California before moving on to Las Vegas, Nevada. By then I was three and a half months pregnant. It was also the end of October, so more people would be at the casinos. Due to Eric, Tobias, Aunt Sofiya and Anton’s persistence, I let them demote me to two dances a week. I had just barely started showing, which would make dancing harder now, especially in Vegas. But that won’t stop me from doing what I love.

Tobias and I grew closer, too. We were practically inseparable to the point where he took over Eric’s spot for some time. But I fixed that. I still need my Eric. But otherwise, I was hardly ever alone. I didn’t mind it that much, I liked it. I had Tobias, my best friend, he’s my everything. Tobias was waiting for me outside of the hotel, a smile on his face as I came near. I wrapped my arms around his neck and smiled faintly as I leaned in and kissed him. He kissed me back before resting his hands on my hips and pulled back slightly.

“Come on, I have some people I’d like you to meet.” He murmured. I sighed and rested my head under his chin, my arms wrapped securely around his waist. “Ana, what’s wrong? Are you not feeling well? Is the little guy bothering you or something?” He murmured.

“No, I'm fine. It’s just… this isn’t a ‘meet the parents’ thing?” I asked. He nodded and wrapped his arms around my waist. “Tobias… I don’t do well with parents. Most people don’t like how I am raised. And your parents sure as hell won’t like that I’m pregnant and it’s not yours.” I whispered. He let out a sigh and pressed his lips to my forehead.

“Ana, the only thing that matters is that I love you. I don’t care if my parents love you or not, just as long as they respect you.” He said, tipping my chin up and pressing his warm lips to mine. “Come on, my parents are going to pick us up.” He murmured.

“Do they have to?” I whined. A shiny black car pulled up to the side and honked twice. He kissed my forehead gently and waved to the people in the car.

“Ana, I’d like you to meet my parents.” He murmured as two sets of doors slammed shut. I nuzzled his neck, not wanting to turn around. My sweatshirt was already stretched over my tiny stomach and I didn’t want his parents to notice. Tobias let go of me and took his jacket off, wrapping it around my shoulders. I looked up at him, a smirk resting on his lips. “I already thought of the little guy.” He whispered. I leaned in and kissed him, my arms securely around his waist. He grinned and touched my stomach softly.

“Tobias,” A woman said, making Tobias pull back abruptly. I pushed my arms through the sleeves and pulled the sides of the jacket over my stomach. He turned me around and wrapped his arms around my waist.

“Mom, dad, your early,” He said, pulling me against his chest.

“We wanted to surprise you and your little friend.” She said. Tobias stilled behind me, assuming I’d get upset at the words ‘little friend’.

I turned my head and looked at him. “Little friend?” I asked, getting a little mad.

“I said girlfriend, those are her words, not mine.” He said quickly, kissing my cheek. I grumbled and crossed my arms over my chest, glaring at the ground instead of his mother. He cupped my chin and turned my head so he could kiss my temple. “You know you’re more than a friend.” He murmured. I sighed and nodded, smiling at him. He leaned in and kissed me softly, ignoring the fact that his parents were right in front of us.

“Son, I’m sorry to interrupt, but we have lunch plans.” His father said impatiently. I pulled back with a sigh, taking Tobias’ hand. He led me to the car and let me slide in first. He went over to his mother and talked to her quickly before coming back to the car and sliding in next to me. His parents got in after us and pulling into the road, sitting in a line of traffic.