Anonymous

I never left Carter's side since that night. We would stay up and talk until he fell asleep, so I took that time to record my Anonymous show. It helped a little that I was an insomniac and that I fell asleep just as he was waking up. The last night he stayed in the hospital I decided to end my show. After he fell asleep, I took out my lap to and started recording my show. I answered several emails that had been sent to me that day before announcing the news. I got several angry emails seconds later telling me that I couldn't give up the show. But I knew I had to. I couldn't do this forever.

After Carter was discharged, we drove home in my truck, his hand in mine the entire ride. We arrived there shortly; Carter grudgingly let me help him into the apartment. Once inside, Carter closed the door and pressed me against it, kissing me roughly. I jumped up and wrapped my legs around his waist, kissing him harder. He rested his hands under my thighs to support me as I thread my fingers in his hair. He carried me into the living room as he coaxed my mouth open slowly, slipping his tongue in. I arched into him as I unbuttoned his shirt; Carter moaned into my mouth as he sat down, letting me straddle his hips. Carter unbuttoned my pants slowly, making me pull back. He looked at me, asking;

"Mel, if this is moving too fast for you, I can stop. You know I'm more than okay to do that for you." He cupped my cheek in his hand, stroking it gently.

I shook my head slightly, resting my hand over his. "No, it's not that. It's just…do you love me? I know you told me in the hospital, but you were drugged so I didn't know of you meant it or not." I said quietly. I was only asking because the last time we tried this, I walk out on him because he didn't love me the way I love him.

Carter looked at me, his hands cupping my cheeks. "I don't love you, Mel." He whispered. He opened his mouth to say something else, but I was already standing, buttoning my pants as I grabbed my wallet and keys.

"I can't believe this is happening again," I said as tears pricked at my eyes. "Out of every guy I've ever been with, I can't believe you're willing to hurt me again. I don't want you to call or text me; I don't you to come near me, Carter. You lost your chance to have a truly honest relationship with someone that really cares about you." I said as I stormed out of his apartment. Tears streamed down my cheeks as I ran down three flights of stairs. Carter caught me as I headed for the fourth flight of stairs, pressing me against the wall so I couldn't run away again and he kissed me.

"I don't love you because I'm in love with you, Mel." He mumbled against my lips. "And if I lose you again, my heart won't just be broken, it will be shattered into a million pieces." He pulled back and stared at me, his eyes full of pain. "Please don't leave," he whispered. I threw my arms around him and buried my face in his neck, refusing to let him go. He held me close, his arms tightly around me. He picked me up and carried me up a few flights of stairs before his chest started to hurt. I took his hand in mine as we walked up the last flight of stairs. Carter kneaded my fingers as we neared his apartment. He opened the door and picked me up bridal style, carrying me into the apartment. He walked into the living room and set me on the couch, wrapping his arms around my waist as he sat behind me. His shirt was still unbuttoned from before; I could feel his heart beating against my shoulders.

"So I know it's wicked early to talk about marriage and stuff, but I want to ask you something." Carter said softly, looking at me as he ran his fingers through my hair. "I know you want to get married; I know every little detail about that… but what about kids, Mel? How many do you want to have?" I nuzzled his neck as I thought. I always had a large family and I guess I've always wanted one.

"I guess I want a big family." I said softly. I wrapped my arms around his torso. "Please don't go into the military." I whispered. He knew I couldn't handle losing anyone after I lost my dad. It was probably the most scaring thing I ever went through. He wrapped his arms tightly around me, kissing my lips lightly.