One Year

We went back to the hotel and hid in our room for the rest of the day. William had Skyped us after dinner. Tobias was in the shower, so I answered him and Gwen alone. William sat on his bed, a grin across his whole face.

“Hey Ana,” He said happily. I pulled the duvet over my lap, seeing as I was in my underwear and a tank top. I smiled back, resting my hands on my stomach.

“Hey, what’s up?” I asked him. He pulled Gwen into view and kissed her hair. She smiled and turned her head in time to kiss his lips. She pulled back with a grin.

“We’re getting married,” She said, flashing me a look at her ring. I grinned and clapped for them.

“Congratulations!’ I said happily, looking at Tobias as he walked in, a towel around his waist. He grabbed his boxers and a tank top, and then walked back into the bathroom.

“You two talk, I’m going to go check on my sister.” Gwen said, kissing William’s cheek before sauntering away. William turned and looked at me, a lopsided grin on his face.

“So, how’s the kid?” He asked.

“It’s been making me insanely sick almost every day for the past three months. Otherwise, it’s alive and perfect.” I said, giving him a smile. He smiled and shook his head slightly, scratching the back of his neck.

“Sorry about that.” He looked at me. “How are things between you and Tobias? Last I heard; you two were in a fight.” He said, leaning in close. I looked down at my stomach, rubbing it in small circles.

“We were in a fight, the night before we left. Nikki thought she could get back at me by using Tobias as a play toy. I stayed mad at him for a couple weeks. Maybe a month ago, Eric made me stay the night with him and we worked everything out.” I said, looking at him.

“So, what, are you two a couple now?” He asked, curious. “Because if I had to pick a step-dad for my kid, I want it to be Tobias,” He added. I grinned and ran a hand through my hair.

“Well, I met his parents today; his mother called me an illegal immigrant and called the baby a bastard because it wasn’t her son’s.” I brushed my fingers over my stomach. Tobias walked over to the bed and sat next to me, taking my fingers in his hand.

“Shh, Ana, she didn’t mean it.” He whispered, kissing me softly. I wrapped my arms around him and buried my face in his neck, a little embarrassed about kissing Tobias in front of William. “Hey Will,” Tobias said happily. “I heard you're getting hitched.”

“Yeah, I am.” He said with pride. Tobias kissed my hair and turned me back toward the screen. “Will we be expecting another marriage in the future?” He asked, hopeful.

Tobias looked at me, a smile on his lips, “Maybe someday, only if she says yes.” William chuckled and I smiled at Tobias.

“You know I’ll always say yes,” I murmured to him. He smiled and kissed me again, pushing me onto my back and kissed me harder, ignoring the fact that William was watching. I pulled back when he slid his hands under my shirt.

“I do enjoy the fact you two are a couple now, but must you do that in front of me?” He teased as we sat up. “So, when’s the next ultrasound?” He asked.

“Next month, I think. The doctor here is sending us to a colleague of hers in Denver.” I said, rubbing my stomach again. “I’ll tell you the gender when we Skype you there.” I added, stifling a yawn. Tobias wrapped an arm around me and kissed my forehead softly.

“Thanks, guys.” He said. “I’ll get going then. You two look tired. Goodnight.” He said before signing out of Skype. Tobias did the same and moved the laptop off the bed. He pulled me into his lap and kissed my head softly.

“Go to sleep, Ana.” He whispered. I shook my head and took his face in my hands and kissed him firmly on the lips. He took my face in his hands and kissed me back, his arms securely around my waist. He eased me onto my back and toyed with the hem of my tank top. I pulled him closer as I trembled under him. He placed his arms on either side of my head. He slipped his lips to my neck, my head lolling to the side to give him access to more skin. He trailed his tongue down my neck, a moan escaping my lips. Tobias cupped my head in his hands as he shifted his lips to the front of my throat. I arched into him, running my hands down his back. Tobias pulled back and got off the bed, walking around the room.

“I need a cold shower,” He muttered, making his way toward the bathroom door. I got up and wrapped my arms around his waist, pressing my hips to his. He looked at me, his hands pressed to his sides.

“Baby, come back to bed,” I murmured, stretching up and kissing his jaw. He gripped my waist and pushed me back a little.

“Shower first, and then I’ll come back to bed.” He kissed my forehead quickly before pulling his shirt off. “Go back to bed; I’ll be there in a few minutes.” He murmured, smiling at me. He slipped into the bathroom as I made my way back to the bed. I lay on my side and hugged my pillow to the length of my body. He came back minutes later and laid next to me, wrapping an arm around my body and pulling me against him. His skin was cool compared to what it had been before.

He pressed his lips to the back of my neck and turned me around to face him. “You okay baby?” He murmured, touching my cheek. I nodded, looking at him. “Tired?” He asked softly. I nodded again and he wrapped his arms securely around me. I turned around and hugged my pillow to me. Tobias seemed confused because he tried to turn me around again, but I shook my head. “Ana, talk to me please?” He murmured.

“It’s nothing, honey. I’m just really tired.” I mumbled into the pillow. He sighed in frustration and turned me around, my pillow touching his chest.

“No, it’s not just nothing and you’re not just really tired because I know you better than that.” He said to me. “I know there’s something bothering you, so please, tell me.”

I hugged the pillow tighter to me before answering him. “I thought you wanted me like that, but I guess it’s a little different with a baby in me now or something.” I said quietly. “You know what; just forget what I just said.” I muttered.

He let out a humorless chuckle, feeling a little relieved about something. “It is different with the baby, Ana. I don’t want you to go into an early labor or something. I know I’ll never be able to stop once I’ve started, Ana. Because I love you a lot, baby.” He murmured, kissing my forehead. I smiled faintly and hugged him, throwing my pillow behind me. He smiled and kissed my neck; his lips were like feathers on my skin. I pulled back with a sigh, my hand resting lightly on his cheek.

“Tobias… are we really going to get married some day?” I asked quietly. I didn’t know if it was too early to be asking this sort of question because we were still really just starting out as a couple. I let out a breath I didn’t know I was holding as he looked at me with loving eyes.

“Do you want to get married?” He murmured.

“Someday,” I whispered to him.

“Then you have your answer.” He said to me, brushing my lower lip with his thumb. I kissed the pad of his thumb as he looked into my eye. “I meant what I said earlier about asking you, Ana. I want to stay with you as long as I can.” He whispered.

My heart fluttered in my chest; he was the one.