Love Actually

Christabel

Emmett and I spent the first year of our marriage learning about each other. We had a set schedule once we really got to know each other. Monday through Thursday he worked and I stayed home, occasionally going out to shop. On Friday, he would wake up early and make us breakfast, then we would go out and walk. On Saturday and Sunday we would go to my father’s and have dinner with them. My sisters were curious that there was no baby yet, and I easily skirted around the subject, I wasn’t ready for a baby, we didn’t have the money for one yet, Emmett doesn’t want one, I would tell them. The only thing I didn’t tell them was that we hadn’t slept together yet.

~

            I bit my lip as we drove home from daddy’s house. Emmett reached over and took my hand, looking at me quickly. “Christabel, what’s on your mind?” He asked softly. I laced my fingers with his and looked at him.

“My sisters are wondering why we don’t have a baby yet.” I said quietly. “They said I should’ve had been pregnant months ago, or already have a baby. Emmett, I’ve been lying to my family about why we haven’t done it yet.” I said. He stiffened and pulled into our driveway. Emmett turned the car off and turned to me.

“Chrissa, do you want to do it?” He asked cautiously, running his fingers through my hair. I wasn’t sure. The most physical contact we had was him holding me at night, or long, passionate kisses when he gets home, or when we dance. I looked at Emmett, biting my lip. I wanted to, but I still hardly knew Emmett. He never talked about his family much, or his past. I just knew this boy who appeared on the face of the Earth.

I swallowed and took his hands. “I want to, but I hardly know you Emmett. We’ve been married for almost a year, but you never talk about your family or where you came from. I only know the Emmett from age seventeen to age twenty-one.” I said, looking at our hands. Emmett pulled his hands back and ran them through his hair.

“Chrissa, if I could tell you about my past, I would. I want to, so badly.” He said, putting his face in his hands. What was he hiding from me? I hated having this one sided relationship, that he only knew about me, but knew nothing about him. “Please understand Chrissa, I want to tell you.” He turned to me and pulled me into his lap. “Chrissa, I love you so much. It’s killing me not to tell you.” He whispered.

I felt tears welling in my eyes. “Why are you lying to me?” I whispered, looking at him. “If you love me, why aren’t you telling me about you?” Emmett let out a frustrated growl, looking at the steering wheel, then me. He took my face in his hands and kissed my roughly, pressing me against the steering wheel. I didn’t want to push him away; I just wanted to kiss him. So I did. And it felt good. So good it hurt. I slipped my hands into his hair, pulling him close as he slid his hands under my sweater, unhooking my bra. I pulled back slightly and looked at him, straddling his hips.

“Christabel, I love you.” He whispered, kissing me again. I kissed him back, tightening my fingers in his hair. He pulled me close, his hands roaming over my body.

I pulled back slightly, looking at his eyes. “I love you, Emmett.” I whispered, smiling faintly. He smiled and held me close, kissing me softly. I smiled and kissed him back, running my hands down his chest to his pant line. He pulled back slightly, looking me in the eye.

“Do you want to do this?” He whispered to me. I nodded, my eyes never leaving his.

He leaned in and kissed me again, slipping my sweater over my head as I undid his pants with a soft moan. He pushed the seat back and pulled me closer, pulling his pants off. I shivered and pressed into him. I pulled his shirt off and kissed him again. He opened the car door and slid out, taking me with him. He ran into the house and into our bedroom. He laid me gently on the bed and pulled my pants off, then lay on top of me.

~

I panted as I fell back on the bed, Emmett lying next to me. He held me close, running his fingers through my hair. I looked into his eyes, smiling. This felt right, being with him like this. I rested my head under his chin, tracing his chest with my finger. Emmett ran a finger down my spine, holding me close to him. I looked up at him as I reached up and pulled his chin down. He looked me in the eye, resting his forehead against mine.

“Chrissa, are you okay?” He mumbled as he pressed his lips to my ear. I nodded as I held him close. So I lied to my husband, I wasn’t okay. I know he still won’t tell me about his family, no matter how much I press the subject. He was being secretive for no reason at all. We’re partners, he can tell me anything. I felt Emmett watching me, waiting for me to do or say something.

I looked at the wall behind him as I whispered; “Will you tell me about your family now?” I felt him tense slightly, trying to think of ways to avoid answering my question. I pulled back and looked at him. I really wanted an answer this time or I was going to leave.

“Chrissa, I can’t,” He said, his eyes looking at something behind me. “I wish I could sweetheart, but I can’t.” He said in a whisper this time, almost as if he was afraid if something would hear him. “Please understand, Chrissa.” He said softly. I shook my head and rolled away from him, hugging my pillow to me so I resisted the urge to wrap my arms around Emmett. I couldn’t stand this at all. I really couldn’t, I didn’t know what to do. I don’t want to start a family if I still don’t know much about the man I married and yet, I still want to because I love him. Emmett wrapped an arm around my waist and pulled me against his chest, pressing his body against my shoulders so only the thin sheet was between us. I tightened my arms around my pillow and bit my lip hard. He brushed his lips against my neck, his fingers wrapping themselves in the sheet. I took a breath and buried my face in the pillow.

“Christabel, please,” He mumbled. “Please don’t leave me.” He added. He must have been reading my mind because that had run through my mind for a brief second, but I never planned on leaving him; I love him too much.

“Why would I leave you?” I asked, giving him a look over my shoulder. He pulled me closer.

“I don’t know.” He admitted. I let go of the pillow and turned to face him. He stared at me as I thread my fingers through his hair. He leaned into my hand and closed his eyes, touching his forehead to mine.

“I love you, Emmett. I always will, no matter what you do or say. But please, let me in. I can’t stand not knowing who you came from or knowing your family. You know everything about me, but I know nothing about you.” I whispered, brushing my lips against his cheek.

He took a deep breath and looked at me. “Okay,” He finally whispered. “I’ll let you in, Christabel.” He started telling me about his school years and his life before he came out here. He told me of his grandparents and his siblings, but not of his parents. I took his face in my hands, stroking his cheeks gently. I told him he didn’t have to tell me about his parents, but he shook his head and took a deep breath.

“My father died when I was two, killed in action. My mother was a stay at home mom at the time. After my father died, she went to work for my grandmother. Mother, she took over the company grandmother had started, three years ago. All the power went to her head. She was already a control freak, now she’s a dictator. She’s never once let anything below perfection touch her sons. She was appalled when I estranged her and started my own life.

“When I told her I was going to marry you, she flipped. She said if I married you, we would have hell to pay. That’s why I never wanted to tell you about her.” He murmured, kissing my wrists. “I don’t want you to meet her either. I know she’ll do something to take you from me.” He added. I smiled kissed his hair.

“She could never take me away from you.” I murmured. “We’re a family now.”