The Girl Who Signed

Daniel took me to the doctor sometime in June, which was about a week after I found out about the doctor, and by July I could utter my first word ever. We had been an official couple since early May, which was about four months strong since it’s already September by now. We were in love, even though we had no real plans for the future. I just wanted Daniel.

~

I graduated high school a few months ago, so relieved I never had to go back there ever again. I had gotten a part-time job at the local library, and I loved it.

And my birthday dinner is in like a couple hours. Did I mention that?

The women here got me a small cake and we ate it during our break. Mom and Landon came in throughout the day, keeping me company while I worked. I kept looking at the clock while I was at the front desk, waiting for Daniel to come and pick me up. I was re-shelving some books when I felt someone come up behind me, resting a hand on my waist. He leaned down and whispered in my ear; “I’m looking for a girl, beautiful red hair and these big old chocolate eyes. She also has this big heart and has gone through so much in the past year; it’s just made it grow even more.” He whispered, kissing my ear softly.

I giggled and turned my head, kissing his lips softly. “I love you, D,” I whispered, smiling at him. Daniel wrapped his arms around me, kissing my forehead softly.

“I love you too, Maddie. And I love hearing your beautiful voice, no matter how quiet it is.” He whispered, pulling me close. I leaned into him, resting my head on my chest.

“Help me put away the last of the books, and then we can leave.” I whispered. Daniel took the books from my arms and let go of me, going around and putting the books away. I went over to the desk and clocked out as I grabbed my things.

Daniel met me at the front door, keys in hand as I took his free hand in mine. He led me out to the truck and helped me in before climbing into the seat next to me. Before he started the truck, he pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket. I raised an eyebrow at him.

“What is that for?” I asked, a little nervous. He smirked at me and leaned in kissing me softly as he tied the cloth around my eyes.

“To keep your birthday dinner a surprise,” He whispered, pulling back and started the truck. We drove for a while, talking about stuff, like the future, college and such. He stopped the truck maybe a half hour later, turning off the ignition and coming around to my side and helping me out.

“Can I take it off yet?” I whispered, holding onto his hands. Daniel squeezed my hands, kissing my forehead softly as he led me inside a building.

“Just a few more moments,” He murmured. I nodded and walked until I was halted to a stop. He slowly untied the blindfold, showing me my surprise.

My mom and Landon, along with his mother and brother were seated at a table, a happy birthday sign and presents behind them. I smiled and sat down, Daniel sitting next to me. We ate and talked and laughed, opening presents and eating cake in between it all.

At the end of the night, we stood and hugged each other, mom giving Daniel a wink. He chuckled and wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me out of the restaurant and back to the truck. Daniel stopped me and took the blindfold back out. I moaned and rested my head against his chest with a thud.

“Why?” I moaned, looking up at him. He wrapped the cloth around my eyes and tied it again.

“My surprise to you,” He whispered, picking me up and setting me down in the truck. He got in and started driving, resting his hand on my knee. He slowly slid his hand up my leg as he talked, making me go crazy. He pulled into a parking lot and got out, coming over to my side and helping me out.