Immortal Love

ISOBEL

Love hurts

Henry and I had been living peacefully together since I came home. Even though the most contact we had was him holding me at night. The threat of Calliope was scaring him, even though he never would admit it. He hardly spoke to me, even if was just to say hello or goodnight. And it hurt, really bad.

Henry never understood why I hardly smiled anymore, or seemed like I was enjoying myself. Mom and Avery tried to talk to me, and they both told me the same thing; Henry loves you, just give him time. And I have been giving him time, like four months to be exact. I’ve gotten nowhere just waiting for him to make a move.

~

I sat on our bed as Henry walked in, he didn’t acknowledge me or anything. He just walked into the bathroom and freshened up. When he came out, he looked at me, no smile, no nothing. I stood and looked at him, wrapping my arms around myself.

“Henry, I can’t take this anymore.” I said softly. He stiffened, his beautiful gray eyes turning stormy.

“You can't take what anymore, Isobel?” He asked, his voice strained. I swallowed and looked at my feet.

“This, Us, Henry. You’ve barely talked to me since I got back. You haven’t touched me, kissed me. It’s like we’re not even together anymore.” I told him. He let out a sigh of relief. I looked up at him, he looked more relaxed then he was before. He walked close to me, close enough to touch me, but he didn’t.

“Isobel, it’s not safe for you here, I wish it was. But it’s not. Calliope is getting stronger and angrier by the day and with Cronus with her… I’m afraid they’ll take you away.” He said, whispering the last part.

I swallowed and looked at my hands. “Henry, she won’t get to me, you know that. The Underworld is so secure; I’m not even sure how to get out of it.” I said; my weak attempt of a joke. Henry’s throat constricted as he tightly swallowed, staring at the ground.

“Isobel, you know I’m trying my hardest.” He said quietly. That made me snap. Like hell he was trying. Like holding me at night and hardly ever talking to me is trying.

“Henry, this is the most we’ve talked in months, and it’s almost time for me to leave again, and the thing is… The thing is I don’t want to leave, but you're not leaving me any choice because you won’t talk to me. I love you Henry, I do. But doing nothing isn’t trying. It’s avoiding.” I said, my voice cracking at the end.

Henry raised his head and looked at me, his beautiful gray eyes boring into mine. He stepped closer, close enough to wrap his arms around me and kiss me. “Isobel, I’m terrified.” He whispered, like if he didn’t whisper it, someone other than me would hear. “I’m terrified that I’m making all these mistakes and driving you away. That I’m going to lose you like I lost Persephone.”

I looked at his eyes, opening my mouth to tell him he won’t lose me like he lost Persephone, but he raised a finger to my mouth to shush me. “If I was a better man, I would give you the love you deserve, that I would be capable of showing, but I’m not and I can't. But I am trying, so please Isobel, don’t hate me. Don’t yell or get mad at me because it doesn’t seem like I’m trying, because I am.” He whispered, wrapping his arms around me and resting his head against mine.

My breath caught in my throat. After four months, this was final happening, again. My husband was telling me everything I needed to hear. I guess I just needed to hear it from him and not my mother or Avery or anyone else. Henry looked at me, running his fingers through my hair. I looked at him, smiling faintly.