The Girl Who Signed

I watched my mother get lowered into her grave, resting next to her husband just like she wanted. Daniel never left my side and I was grateful for it. My mother’s family joined me at the wake and funeral, telling me how sorry they were for my loss. The thing is; I didn’t want to hear any of it. I wanted Daniel to take me home and hold me until I fell asleep. Landon came to the funeral and the wake, saying goodbye to the woman who gave him a home. He tried to come up to me, but I avoided him by going to the bathroom and having Daniel tell Landon that he couldn’t come near me.

After the funeral, we drove to the restaurant where we held the dinner for dad’s funeral. Daniel and I sat together in the corner with my grandmother and uncle. I didn’t speak much, mainly because my Grandmother was telling Daniel stories about my childhood. I leaned into him as we listened to my grandmother; Daniel would laugh and smile about my toddler years and even some of my early teens. My face got redder and redder at every embarrassing moment she brought up. After my grandmother dredged up my past, she got up and went around the tables, leaving me and Daniel alone.

“You sounded like a cute kid, Maddie.” He murmured, pressing his lips to my temple. I smiled and shook my head.

“I was a pretty awkward kid, Danny. I stuck out like a sore thumb.” I said quietly.  Daniel wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me into his side, stroking my cheek with his thumb.

“If we went to school together, I would have thought you were amazing and confident.” He murmured, kissing the corner of my mouth. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

“If you say so,” I said, standing up. “I’m going to head to the bathroom. I’ll be right back, Danny.” I walked out of the big hall and into the girls’ bathroom. I closed the door behind me and stood in front of the sink. I turned the sink on and splashed my face with warm water, attempting to keep myself calm. The door opened and closed as I wiped my face with a paper towel. I looked into the mirror and stilled when I saw Landon behind me. Landon walked up to me, his hands in his pant pockets.

“Hey, Maddie,” He said quietly. “I’m so sorry about Katherine and a bout abandoning you.” I closed my eyes and gripped the counter, holding back tears. Landon moved closer to me, resting a hand on my shoulder. I turned around and started hitting him, letting out months of pent up anger out in that one moment. Landon wrapped his arms around me and pinned me to his chest, his lips finding mine only seconds later. His lips were dry and cracked; his hands were rough and calloused as they pressed against my body. I pounded against his chest as I begged him to stop. Landon didn’t loosen his grip as he lifted me up onto the counter, letting his hands roam over my body. I pulled back and slapped him hard across the face, making him stumble backwards.

“Maddie,” He said, staring at me. “I had to, Maddie. You don’t know how long I’ve wanted to do that.” I wiped my lips off on my sleeve as I slip off of the counter. I walked to the door and said,

“Stay the hell away from me. Don’t call me, don’t come to my home, and don’t even go near Danny.” I said slipping out the door. Tears pooled in my eyes as I walked back to the crowd of people; I lost my best friend. Daniel came up to me, wrapping his arms around me before the tears slipped down my cheeks. I pressed my face into his chest, locking my arms around his waist.

“Maddie,” Danny murmured. “Shh, Maddie,” He ushered me into a secluded corner and held me. He held me as I calmed down enough to speak.

“I want to go home,” I whispered as I held onto him. Daniel wrapped his arms around me and stood, apologizing to everyone on our way out. I slid into the passenger seat, wrapping my arms around my knees as Daniel started the car and drove off. He took my hand, waiting for me to say something, but I didn’t know what to say.