The Fake Engagement

Summary:

"What do you mean you have a fiancé?" My father shouted as he stood and slammed his fists on the table. I jumped a little in my seat, but I stayed calm.

"It's Colton, Daddy. You know, Mr. Reeves son? They own the auto repair shop in the center of town." I said slowly. "The other night, we went to get ice cream after graduation and he popped the question, telling me that he couldn't be without me."

"Did he knock you up? I swear to god, if he did I'll kill the little minx." Dad seethed.

"Daddy, I'm not pregnant. I promise. I just realized I'm in love with my best friend." I lied.

Ok, so I'm lying to my parents, my would have been fiancé and Colton's parents. Even worse, I need to tell Colton that we're to be fake engaged for the next year.

*****

Esmerelda Foster's parents are multi billionaires. She's grown up all her life knowing that she'd be married off to Vincent Mabb of Mabbs and son. But when the day came to face her upcoming engagement, she couldn't handle it. Esmerelda quickly made up a lie that she's engaged to her best friend, Colton Reeves.

Will the duo be able to keep up the lie for the next year? Will true feelings be revealed? Or will Esmerelda be forced to Marry Vincent Mabb?

*

"Drink up, Esme. You'll have a nasty hang over if you don't." Colton said softly, lowering my semi limp body onto the couch. "Mind telling me why you got wasted in the first place?"

"You don't love me." I mumbled, sipping from the glass he gave me. Colton gave me the strangest look like I was crazy or something.

"What are you talking about? Of course I love you Esme. You're my best friend--"

"You don't get it Colton! I'm freaking in love with you!" I shouted

Colton sat there for a few moments, with his hands folded and pressed to his mouth. Did he think I was crazy for saying I love him? Is he going to reject me? "Esme, I think you had too much to drink." He said softly. "You're not thinking straight."

"This isn't my drunk talk!" I snapped at Colton. "I really do love you. It kills me every time you talk about Addy and getting back together with her once the year is up. I'll admit it; I got jealous today when I found her in our apartment and shoving her tongue down your throat!" I stood shakily and wiped my tear stained cheeks.

"I'm going to bed." I muttered harshly, stumbling from the living area and into our room, locking the door behind me. I knew that there was a key above the door frame, but if Colton took the hint, he'd wait a bit. I stripped by beer stained shirt and pants from my body and threw on baggy sweats and a fluffy sweatshirt. The tears kept flowing down my cheeks. Colton could never love me back. He's too wrapped around Addy.

I woke in the morning to an agonizing headache and a blinding light. I totally regret going to that party last night. I rolled onto my side and saw two painkillers, a tall glass of water and a note with my name on it. I took the pain killers and downed half the glass before picking up the note and reading what was inside of it.

Esme, we need to talk about last night. I went to class and called your school to say you were sick. Text me around noon, please.

Colton

I bit my lip as I read the note again. I couldn't relive last night. I can't stay here any longer either. I grabbed my phone off the bedside table and called a hotel and booked a room for the night. Then I called my friend who works for Habitats For Humanity and told her I'd work with her. I got up and grabbed a suit case and packed it with clothing for all weather.