Anonymous II

I moaned as I rested my head against the cool kitchen counter. The next contraction started, the pain wrapping around my lower back and stomach. Carter and Alyssa rushed to my side as the pain grew worse. Everyone was here to help set up the new house on the weekend we were supposed to get the big storm. And it came alright, snowing us in with nineteen children in our new house and eight of them are under five years old. The best part of the weekend is that I'm going to add three more grandkids to the bunch!

The contraction intensified as the first baby started making their way into position to be delivered. I straightened enough to press my face into Carter's chest as I waded out the contraction. Carter rubbed my back as the contraction ended and Alyssa pressed her hand on my stomach. She looked at Carter and motioned for him to lay me on the floor; Carter obliged and helped me onto my back. Alyssa shimmied down my pants and felt for my baby's head.

"She's two centimeters, Carter, and her water hasn't broken. It will be a very long while until the first baby will come out." Alyssa said softly, rubbing my knee gently. "It will be alright, Melly. We'll get them out safely." She assured me. I whimpered as Carter picked me up and carried me to our room. Carter was trying to stay strong, but I could tell he was scared.

"Car," I whispered as he laid me down on our bed. "Are you okay?" Carter stayed quiet as he rested his hand on my large stomach. I reached out and placed my hand over his and squeezed his fingers tightly. He leaned down and kissed my round stomach gently.

"I'm trying so hard to keep calm for you, Mel." He mumbled against the fabric of my shirt. "Melly, I don't want to lose you. I could handle losing Mom and Dad, but never losing you." I had tears in my eyes. I didn't know he was that afriad, he never told me about it.

"Oh, Car." I mumbled. "Why didn't you tell me that earlier? We could have talked about it at a more rational time."

"Like I said, Melly, I needed to be strong for you. You told me once that I was your rock, and that meant more than everything to me." He confessed. "So I made sure I would always be your stronghold."

"Oh, Carter, that's so sweet." I said softly. And then the next contraction blindsided me the next second.

A groan escaped my clenched lips as Nicholas stepped on the gas peddle. We were stuck in the snow and the contractions were getting closer together. Kenzie sat up front with Nick, on the phone with the 911 opperator while I laid in the back with my head in Carter's lap and my feet in Tyler's. Alyssa sat in the center row on the phone with my mom and all our other siblings. I didn't want to leave the house with the first baby so close to coming out. I wanted to wait for the paramedics to come, but Carter didn't want to risk losing any of us. I curled my toes as the next contraction started again. I clenched my jaw as I curled over my stomach, trying to hold my babies in as long as I could. Carter held my hand in his larger one as Tyler pressed down on my stomach.

"Nick, are we almost there?" Tyler called from the back seat.

"No! I can't see throught the fucking snow!" He growled. "Dammit, Melly, I'm so sorry!"

"Kenzie, sis, how far away is the ambulance?" Tyler asked, giving me an apologetic look.

"Forty minutes, Ty. They can't get through the snow either. We may have to have the babies in the car." Kenzie answered.

"No!" I gasped, crushing Carter's hand. "Want bed," I gritted out.

"Lyss," Tyler mumbled, tapping her shoulder. "Are there any houses nearby?"

"I don't know baby. The falling snow is too thick." Alyssa murmured, looking back at us. The contraction ended and I slumped against Carter, panting heavily from the horrid pain I was enduring. I wanted to give birth now and yet, I can't. Nicholas put the van in park and got out to look for someone to help us. I looked at Carter and frowned slightly. He was rouchly rubbing his parent's dogtags with his freehand as he looked out the back window. He was still freaking out, my poor baby.

"Carter," I mumbled, squeezing his hand lightly. His attention turned to me and he gave me a pained smile.

"Yeah baby?" He murmured. "You need some water?" I shook my head and squeezed his hand again.

"Carter, love, I'm fine." I reassured him. "The four of us are. You have no reason to worry." He leaned down and pressed a chaste kiss to my forehead.

"Can't help it, Mel." He mumbled. I took his hand and placed it on my belly. He rubbed it gently as we waited for Nicky to come back. The last time Alyssa checked how far along I was, I had just reached seven centimeters. The contractions were ten minutes apart. It was snowing heavily and it didn't seem like it was going to let up. Karma's a bitch for punishing me for having three babies out of wedlock, for not wanting to marry Carter when things were once okay for us. It was all my fault.

"I'm sorry, Car." I whispered, tilting my head to look at him. He raised his hand to my cheek and stroked it lightly with a confused look on his face.

"Baby, what do you mean?" He asked softly.

"I'm sorry I'm the reason we never got married, and that I'm the reason the babies are being born out of wedlock." I rushed out, rubbing my hands over my stomach. "Carter, marry me."

"Mel..." He trailed, reaching for his dogtags again.

"Carter, please, baby. Say yes. Take this as a proposal, I'm asking you to be my husband." I said. "Carter, will you marry me?" I heard him chuckle and place a kiss on his forehead.

"Only if you wear the ring, Melly." He mumbled, sliding his mother's engagement ring onto my left ring finger. I smiled and kissed his hand, allowing the few moments we had to be precious ones. But just like the moment came, it ended. Ten minutes between contractions quickly changed to seven and they intensified. I cried out in pain as I gripped Carter and Tylers hands in mine. Nicky came back as my baby's head became more pronounced. I wanted to push, that was my first priority.

"Guys, I found someone who can help us!" Nicky exclaimed as he threw open the side door. "She's with me right now."

"Nick, Mel's about to push. We need her in a bed now!" Carter growled. I bit back a scream as I braced myself against Tyler and Carter.

"Come on, get her in the chair." A soothing voice said. I whimpered at Carter and Tyler tried to move me out of the back seat. They eventually got me into the wheelchair that this woman had. She looked familiar. I was hunched over my stomach as Carter and Tyler lifted the chair up and rushed me into the house. It was time to have some babies.