Anonymous

I moved in with Carter later that week, knowing I'd move in sooner or later. We returned to our jobs and school, well Carter did. I started a paid internship with a photographer who's well known in the city. Life couldn't have been better for the two of us. The only thing that ruined it was the looming fact that I could be pregnant. I had taken two pregnancy tests since Carter brought it up and they were both negative. I was still scared that I was pregnant anyways.

~

Carter came up behind me and wrapped his arms tightly around me. I grinned as he pressed his lips to my ear and whispered,

"Why don't you change into your pajamas and join me on the couch for a bit?" I sighed and turned around, pressing my lips to his. 

"I can't, Car. I'm picking up Elyse from the airport and spending the day with her. So I need you out of here by two this afternoon." I said softly. He growled softly and kissed me hard. "Please, I'm yours the rest of the night if you leave by two." I murmured against his lips. He sighed and kissed me lightly before pulling back.

"Oh all right," he said, kissing my forehead. "Have fun."

~

Elyse Morris has been my best friend since the womb. There was no doubt that it was destiny we were to be friends. She was my complete opposite; tall, dark haired, pale; shy, athletic while I was short, red headed, outgoing, tan and slightly not athletic. She had changed since I last saw her, especially with the bomb she'll she dropped on me. 

"I'm pregnant, Melly." She said as we pulled into the parking lot. I parked and turned to her, touching her stomach.

"Who's the father?" I asked as I looked at her. She held her stomach for a long time before whispering;

"Nicholas," she looked at me as I sat there silently. "We eloped a few months ago when we found out we were expecting. I didn't want to elope, Mel. I wanted you to be there." She said, pleading with her eyes. I wrapped my arms tightly around her as I took in a few shaky breaths.

"Why didn't you tell me? I thought you two weren't working out and you broke up?" I whispered. "Never mind that, why didn't you tell me you were pregnant?" She smiled and hugged me tight. 

"I thought you'd be mad at me." She whispered. I smiled at her and pulled back.

"Come on, let's go inside." I said.

We ate and talked and watched scary movies all afternoon. She questioned me about Carter and boys and I easily answered them without telling her we're dating. She was getting suspicious though, picking up on little things I did.

"So, do you have a boyfriend?" She asked as I played with the blanket on my lap.

"Yeah, we live together and he's really sweet." I said softly. Trying to describe Carter is like trying to describe the color red. It's almost impossible.

"Tell me more about this boy? What does he do for work, what is he majoring in, what does he look like?" she asked. I chewed on my lip as I thought about him.

"Well, he works at an animal shelter and the local school. He wants to be a special needs teacher, and he's absolutely handsome." I said softly. She sat there for a moment, pondering who it could be. As she started to guess who it was, Carter came in and threw his bag on the counter.

"Mel, I'm home." He said as he walked over to us, kissing the top of my head before walking into the bedroom. Elyse looked at me like a slapped her.

"You lied to me!" She whispered, grinning at me. "So, you two are finally together, thank god." I smiled and nodded as she placed a hand on my stomach. I placed my hands over hers, no words needed for this moment. She was trying to feel if I was pregnant.

"You two have been careful, right?" She whispered. I shook my head as I looked at her. "Come on, we're going to the bathroom and peeing on the stick I saw under the sink." She pulled me up and dragged me into the bathroom.

The test came back positive. I didn't want to tell Carter yet, so I buried it deep in the trash and hoped he'd never find it. We went back out and sat on the couch, watching the movie as Carter joined us. He sat behind me as he smiled as Elyse.

"So, what's new with you?" He asked as he placed his hands on my stomach.

"Well, I married Nick a few months ago and we're expecting a little boy." She said, giving me a look. Carter's jaw dropped as he held me close.

"How did she take this?" He asked, giving me a squeeze. It didn't help that I was so nervous I was ready to puke, so Carter squeezing me made it worse. I launched myself from the couch and to the bathroom, puking into the toilet. Elyse and Carter rushed in after me, Carter holding my hair back until I sat on my heels. I got up and rinsed my mouth out as Carter felt my forehead.

"Mel, what's wrong?" He asked as I leaned against the counter. I pressed my hand to my stomach.

"I'm p-pregnant, Car." I whispered. Carter wrapped his arms around me and kissed me passionately. I kissed him back, tears sliding down my cheeks. He pulled back and wiped my cheeks gently, holding me close to him. I looked at Elyse and smiled as Carter rested his hand on my flat stomach. We were going to be okay, we just had to.