Love Actually

Summary:

This is the tale of two young women, both forced into arranged marraiges.

Ashlyn never wanted to be tied down, it was her nature to run free like a wild woman. Her father, a widower of many years, finally had enough and arranged a sure fire way for his daughter to be married. The suitor had to beat her in a race. But it wasn't that simple. Ashlyn was a track star.

Christabel is the youngest of four girls. Her mother left their family years after she was born. Her father left her sisters to be incharge of her, everything about her. Including her wedding.

*

Ashlyn

I looked at my Father, sitting at his desk, hunched over marriage proposals from rich men who wanted a merger with his company. And I refuse to meet them all. Father looked up and smiled at me, the same smile he had given my mother in all the old home videos.

"Ashlyn, come in, dear." He said softly, pushing his papers aside. I smiled and walked over to him, sitting in his lap. "How are you?"

I leaned my head on his shoulder. "Good Daddy." I whispered, looking at the papers. He sighed and pushed the papers farther. "Daddy, I don't want to marry them." I said.

"Ash, we went over this. I just want you to be happy." He said.

"Running makes me happy, Dad. Find me a man who can out run me, and I'll marry him." I said, sliding off his lap. "You promised Mom you'd take care of my, give me what I needed. I don't need marriage, a child, to settle down. I want to be free." I whispered. He looked at me and sighed.

"Ash, I am doing what's best for you. I'm trying, like I have been all your life. Since the moment your mother passed, I tried to be her for you." He said, standing. "But I can't keep doing it. And I want to make sure you're okay when I die. You're taken care of."

I shook my head, hugging myself. "I'm nineteen, Daddy. I want to be free. Not settled down." I said, sliding my flats off. "I wanna run, I just wanna run." I whispered. Before he could say a word, I took off. I ran for the basement, my room. I flopped on my bed, grabbing my phone and calling my best friend, John.

"John, I need you right now." I whispered as he picked up.

"Okay, where are you?" He asked.

"I'm in my room." I whispered, wiping my eyes.

"I'll be there in a few minutes, Ash." He said. "Want me to stay on the phone with you?"

"Please do." I whispered.

"What happened Ash?" He asked softly.

"He wants to marry me off. I- I can't do it. I just can't." I cried. "I don't even know the men he's picked. They're probably all his business partners son's."

"Hey, shush. Tell me more in person." He said, knocking on my window. I looked up and grabbed my converse, slipping them on before going to my window and climbing out. John immediately wrapped his arms around me, hugging me to his chest.

"Okay Ash, when are you meeting these guys?"

"Tomorrow night. Why?" I asked hoarsely.

"You're gonna show them what they can't have." He said slyly. I smiled, hugging his waist.

"I knew there was a reason you're my best friend." I said, wiping my eyes.

"Let's get some ice cream while we plot." He said, pulling me to his car.

~

We sat at our booth in the back of the ice cream place. John was brainstorming out loud as we ate our ice cream. He spouted off ideas of me dressing up and looking extremely sexy, or me running their and being in my 'cute' running clothes. I couldn't help but laugh at the ideas, and so couldn't John.

"Okay, okay." John said. "What about you wear that thing you wore to the theme prom senior year?" He asked. I bit my lip and through back to that day. I smiled and nodded; John grinned and threw his hands in the air. "We have found the sexy dress!" John exclaimed.

I smiled. "Come on John, let's go and plot your sexy masterpiece!" I said, standing up. He smiled and stood, following me back to my house. We slipped into the basement and went through my closet, making my outfit for tomorrow.