The Girl Who Signed

Death has been depicted as a white light at the end of a tunnel that we never reach. Well, whoever said that lied, there is no tunnel and there is no light. There were voices though, too many to tell who’s they were. My head hurt from the rush of voices; the blur of faces, too. I closed my eyes for a moment, drowning out all the noise. I opened my eyes moments later and found that I was in a room, maybe a hospital room? I tried to sit up, but it hurt so bad, I gave up. I opened my mouth to speak, but not a sound came out. I tried again, the same thing happened. I started freaking out, tapping my throat as I attempted to sit up. Two hands, masculine hands, held me down while two very feminine hands took my hands in hers.

“Maddie,” Danny said softly. I looked around for him, my eyes finally landing on him as he kissed my forehead. “Maddie, sweetie, listen to me,” He whispered. “They couldn’t save your vocal cords. I’m so sorry, babe.” I pulled my hands away from the woman’s and pulled Daniel’s face close, kissing him hard and long. I pulled back sometime later, my body aching all over.

‘Don’t apologize,’ I signed, touching his face lightly. ‘It wasn’t your fault.’ I kissed his forehead gently before taking his hand in both of mine. He sighed and pressed his lips to my forehead again, a faint smile forming on his lips.

“You are so stubborn, Maddie.” He whispered as he pulled back. He looked up at the other person in the room, then back at me. “You have a visitor, babe.” I sat up, or at least I attempted to, and looked to my left.  Elyzabeth took my hands and squeezed them tightly, fighting to hold back tears.

“I thought we lost you, Maddie. You wouldn’t wake up and it didn’t help that you are so tiny.” She whispered, squeezing my hands again. I pulled her into my arms and hugged her tight. She hugged me back, burying her face in my neck. I held her tighter, rocking her back and forth.

‘It’s okay,’ I wrote on her back. ‘I’m here, Lyzzie. I won’t leave you guys ever again.’ I looked at Daniel, giving him a half smile. He took my hand and laced his fingers with mine, never looking away from me. Elyzabeth pulled back and smiled at me, brushing my hair away from my face.

“I told Boss that you were in the hospital and he gave you three weeks of medical leave.” She said softly. I nodded and squeezed her hand gently.

‘Don’t you have to work today?’ I signed, looking at Daniel to translate for me.

“In an hour, but those old ladies can wait a few more minutes for me.” She said, giving me a cheeky grin. We talked for an hour or so before I made Elyzabeth leave. She wasn’t happy about it, but I reminded her about her bills. Daniel pulled up a chair as I pushed myself into a sitting position. He took my hand in his, looking at our laps.

"I'm so sorry I let him touch you, Maddie." He whispered at last. "I should have fought for you or called the police or something, anything other than standing there idly.” He rambled, pressing his lips to my fingers. He looked at me as I took in his words. I turned to face him as best as I could and signed;

‘When can we go home?’ He smiled and kissed my lips lightly.

“As soon as they clear you, we go home.” He murmured, kissing behind my ear. I smiled and stretched my arms out for Danny, and he lowered himself into my embrace. I can't believe I almost lost him, I almost lost everything worth being alive for.