Love Actually

Ashlyn

I looked at my reflection in the elevator doors. I didn’t look like myself anymore. I looked like a living Barbie doll. John did a great job of making me look different. Even daddy didn’t know who I was. I held onto daddy’s elbow as the doors opened and we stepped into the ball room, filled with strangers and business associates. Daddy kissed my cheek, reassuring me everything was going to be all right.

I danced with several men, some my age, a few older, a few younger, all but one of them completely annoying me. The last man I danced with intrigued me. He swept me off my feet with how smoothly he moved and how elegantly he spoke. We talked for hours, just letting him hold me in his arms. When daddy got up in front of everyone to speak, he let me go with a small smile on his face. Before he got away, I grabbed his arm and pulled him back to me.

“What’s your name?” I asked, smiling at him. He looked very familiar to me; I just couldn’t place from where. Maybe we went to school together? Or maybe he had stopped by with his father one day. I didn’t remember, but I wanted to find out badly.

He smiled back, running a hand through his hair. “I’m Conner,” He said, patting my hand. “And you’re Ashlyn.” He added.

I blinked in surprise. “You’re very straight forward.” I commented, staying close to him. He smiled warmly at me.

“Any you’re very curious.” He said, taking my hand and kissing it gently. “I must go, Ashlyn. You look incredible tonight. And I wish you the best of luck tomorrow.” He whispered, leaning in and kissing my cheek. I watched Oswald as he walked to his father. I wanted him to beat me tomorrow, to be my husband. But I knew that wouldn’t happen. It wasn’t in my good fortune. He was perfect for me, and I knew who he was now. He worked for daddy a few years ago. He would watch me intently when I came in, I was only seventeen then, he was just nineteen years old. He never caught my eye then, but he does now. Why is that? I just wanted him to be my husband.

Conner

I watched Ashlyn as her father spoke. She amazed me; I knew she never really dressed like that. I was her father’s intern for a year, and she amazed me then too. I’m just shocked she didn’t remember me. I knew I didn’t have a chance to beat her, or to win her over. She never gave me a second chance when I was interning for her father, but now she was. I just wanted her.

Her father explained the rules of the marriage arrangement. The first man to beat her in a race wins. You’d think it’d be that simple, but it’s not. Ashlyn is practically unbeatable. I’ve never seen her achieve less that gold in a race. I’d never have a chance with her. But I’ll still try; I’ll just have to get creative.