Loving Mr. Billionaire

I smiled down at James as I changed his diaper. I had to make the most of this time with my baby, since it was unlikely he'd ever call me again. I don't understand why he said James was fussy, my baby was perfectly happy and bubbly with me. I put on a new diaper and fixed his onsey, and James Francis Carmichael was good as new. I picked him up and walked over to his rocking chair and held him. I couldn't believe he was two months old, he was so small for a two month old. I lifted him up and kissed his button nose, earning a smile from him.

"Hi James, it's Mommy. I know, I looked horrible the first time we met, but I look better now." I whispered as James took my pointer finger and stuck it in his toothless mouth. "I love you, Jimmy, I really do. I wish I didn't have to obey this stupid contract your daddy made up, but I do. I never wanted to leave you, please know that. Don't hate your daddy for this when you're older. He meant well, he really did." I know James was just staring at me and he probably won't ever remember me saying it, but I needed to get those words out. In case that day ever came.

Heavy footsteps stopped outside James' nursery and I didn't have to look up to know that it was Zane watching us. I refused to look at him, because if I did, I don't think I could take it. Zane entered the room and sat on the space on the floor in front of the rocking chair. I tightened my arms around my son, afraid that Zane would demand that I hand James back to him. James sensed the unspoken tension and released my finger to let out a cry. I rocked him gently and cooed at him, quickly gaining no results.

"James, please baby, be quiet for Mommy." I whispered, standing and walking around the room. Zane stood and trailed behind me, offering me no help.

"I think he's hungry." Zane offered. I snapped my head toward him and shot him a glare.

"He's not hungry." I snapped. "He's upset." I looked back to my son and continued to rock him. He wouldn't stop crying. Why wouldn't he stop crying?

"Give him to me." Zane ordered softly. I shook my head and readjusted James in my arms, and started to bounce him. "Isobel, give James to me, please." I stopped and turned around to deposit James into his arms. I looked at his bare chest instead of his eyes, since it was easier to keep an eye on James that way. I didn't realize how close we were until I could just brush my nose against his solid chest. James stopped crying and watched his parents intently, giving us a toothless smile. I smiled back at my son and took his small hand in mine. I couldn't believe this angel came out of me.

"Isobel..." Zane trailed, setting his gaze on me. I bit my lip and kept my eyes trained on James. "I'm sorry."

"Why are you sorry?" I muttered. "You've done nothing."

"I took James from you. I shouldn't have done that, please forgive me." He said as James started to squirm out of his arms. I quickly took James from Zane and cradled him to my chest, kissing his hair softly. "He needs you Isobel, we both do."

"I know my son does, but I have to honor the contract. I just hope he remembers me." I whispered into the baby's skin. "As for you, Mr. Carmichael, you have gone since high school without a woman to be with you. I am positive you can make it through another eighteen years without one."

"Isobel, please." Zane begged. "Fuck the contract and stay! I can't do this without you!" He snapped, suddenly angry. I took a step away from Zane and used my body to shield James. Zane realized he was scaring me and pinched the bridge of his nose in an attempt to calm himself. I had shut myself down, again. He was trying to wedge his way back into my good graces, but why? Did he feel guilty for forcing me to leave my child? Did he realize that I had fallen for him, but I was just some silly nineteen year old to him?

"You told me once James was born I had to stay away from the two of you. Yet, here I am, holding my baby boy and talking to you. Are you mocking me?" I spat at him.

"What? No!" Zane exclaimed. "Isobel, I l--"

"Don't!" I snarled. "Don't you dare say it. You put me through six months of hell after I realized I fell in love with you!" I stilled as the words left my mouth. I finally told him and I was livid with him. I kissed James' head and placed him into his crib before storming away to my room, and slammed the door behind me. I didn't want to be bothered tonight. I just wanted to wallow in self pitty and sneak into the kitchen around midnight for frozen cookie dough. I unpacked my bags and grabbed my pregnancy pillow and crashed on the bed, falling asleep shortly after.

I woke around eleven or twelve at night to an empty stomach. I knew I'd have to come out sometime. I quietly opened the door and padded down the hallway to the stairs, then down the stairs to the kitchen. I ransacked the fridge and pantries for enough food to last me until breakfast. I made my late night snack and started eating it as I made my way back to my room. I stopped outside of James' room when I heard Zane speaking,

"I know buddy, the bottle sucks, I agree with you there. But Mommy is asleep and mad at Daddy, so it's not a good idea to wake her up." Zane said to James. I opened the door quietly and leaned against the frame, watching father and son be together. James squawked at Zane and Zane sighed, plopping the two of them into the rocking chair I had occupied earlier that day. "I thought things would have been better if I had brought Mommy here to see you again. I figured she'd be missing us like we--like I miss her, but I guess not. If she leaves us in the morning, I'll let her go, I guess. I can't force Mommy to be here if she doesn't want to be with the two of us.

"When you're older, I don't want you to hate your mother for leaving. She loves you more than anything, I saw it the day you were born. She wouldn't let me hold you until she fell asleep. You can hate me all you want though, for not fighting for her when I let her go the first time, and now that I'm about to let her go again.

"I love her, James. I tried showing her that by naming you after her Grandfather. James Francis, just like you. He was like a father to her, since she never knew hers. Her mom, your grandmother, told me about him the first time we met. She said that James meant the world to Mommy, that he was there for everything a father should be there for. Mommy took it hard when her Grandfather died, so I named you after him because I could see how much she loves you."

I bit my lip as my heart slammed against my rib cage. Zane said he loves me. Zane Carmichael loves me. I took a deep breath and made my presence known by entering the room. Zane looked up and immediately scrambled to his feet, holding James close to his chest. I didn't know what to say.

"How much did you hear?" He asked softly.

"You love me?" I whispered, wrapping my arms around myself. Zane smiled and shook his head gently as he moved to put James in his crib. He walked over to me and placed his hands on my shoulders, staring at me with those dark orbs of his.

"It's more than love, Isobel." He whispered back, tentatively moving closer to me. "You are the reason I wake up in the morning, besides James."

I sighed sadly as I pressed my forehead against his shoulder. The contract was still standing. I couldn't be with either of my boys even if I wanted to. Zane wrapped his arms around me securely and rubbed my back. James had finally fallen alseep, but not for long.

"Zane, what about the contract? I legally can't be with either of you because of what you wrote." I mumbled against his skin. Zane let me go and walked out of the room for a few moment to go get something. I walked over to James' crib and watched him sleep. I could finally put this breastmilk to good use. Zane came back with our contract in hand and a determined look on his face. I turned around as he walked up to me and did something I never imagined. He ripped it to pieces. I threw my arms around his neck and kissed Zane full on the lips when he finished ripping the paper.

"Thank you, Zane." I mumbled as I pulled back.

"Anything for you, love." He whispered with a smile. "Will you stay, please?Jimmy needs a mom, and I need you."

"Won't the press eat us up?" I asked. "I'm ninteen, you're almost twenty five, we're not married and we just had a baby." Zane pressed his lips to my forehead reassuringly.

"I'll handle it, future Mrs.Carmichael." Zane mumbled into my ear.