3.2 Birthday Surprise

"Hayden!" she cried, her eyes soaky and widened.

She walked over quickly and threw her hands around my neck to hug me tight. "Happy Birthday, dear!"

The mixed feelings of happiness and giddiness was something I had never experienced before. It was odd. My eyes were stuck on Doctor, who stood up quite seriously reading my expression. He must have realized that I was in terrible shock finding her here but I wasn't reacting in a way I was supposed to.

She was still holding me, pulling me closer in her warm embrace. First thing that I wanted to do was to just lean down on her shoulder and cry my heart out. Finally my wait for her was over. Standing only a few inches away after all was my only remaining family.

But before I could do anything about it, a righteous person's face flashed vividly before my eyes. I hated myself to do this, but it felt right to forget her twenty years of love she had showered upon me, with just one conversation I had with Shourya.

"What are you doing here?" I was finally able to open my mouth and speak, my eyes still lingering on Doctor, indirectly and sarcastically thanking him for my birthday surprise.

She slowly pulled away, letting her hand still rest on my neck. I had to avert my focus from Doctor and sharply look at her. Her eyes were puffy and her lips blotchy. Traces of tears were visible on her cheeks. It was painful to see her in that state, yet I was trying to stay strong not to just let it go.

"You have changed a lot in a year," she sobbed, a single tear running down her cheek, "Aren't you excited to see me?"

"Thank you for coming," I said without blinking.

She stepped back in disappointment, "Are we thanking each other now?"

"Aunt, why are you here?" I asked, pressing my eyes, finally finding my voice that came out too harsh.

"Hayden," she said, scandalized, "We always meet on your birthday."

"You weren't here last year," I reminded her, "I had to celebrate while crying for my parents, with the people I hardly knew."

She opened her mouth and then quickly shut unable to answer me. But I answered it for her.

"Oh, of course," I said, raising a single eyebrow, "You are here because police might not be keeping a track of you anymore, right?"

"Hayden, stop it," Doctor said it, before she could, "What did I tell you yesterday?"

"So is this the happiness you wanted me to have for today?" I asked him walking completely inside the cabin, "Thank you very much, Doctor."

"I told you not to be angry at her," he said, his voice raising, "It wasn't her fault."

"SHE RUINED SOMEONE'S LIFE!" I bellowed, "SHE IS THE REASON SHOURYA IS SUFFERING FOR YEARS."

"And you have no choice except to forgive her," Doctor said, "Whatever she did, she had to do as a daughter of a king."

I stood slack jawed, staring with revolusion at Doctor. I clenched my fists and fought to remain in the spot.

"She had to do it?" I asked, before my anger bubble my brain, "only because she was Rawat's Princess? I can't believe out of all people you said that."

"You are blaming me?" said my aunt, at once, "Without even giving me a chance to explain?"

"Fine," I said, whirling around, folding my hands, "I am here. Explain."

She sniffed, her voice caught in her throat, her lips quivered as if she was struggling to form words. She quickly wiped her falling tears and said, "I was just ten years old, I didn't know what I was doing. At that point of time, it was the right thing to do."